1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 7 hours, 52 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 16 hours, 7 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 0 hours, 52 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 9 hours, 7 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Not loving any of the classes.

So, next week I'll be playing the official release of FFXIV... I have dabbled in the Closed Beta and Open Beta testing, decided on Ul'Dah but haven't gotten too far into the game - I'm still not sure on what class(es) I want to focus on. All (7) of the classes at launch seem pretty uninteresting to me.

Anybody else hating the current classes, confused about what to focus on while we wait for content? >: Maybe I'd level up mages in anticipation for future magic classes (Arcanist/Mystic) if I knew what they were, or if I'd like them.

Guess I could always craft , or become an expert fisherman while I wait.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Most people are going to be War/Magic disciplines. If you focus entirely on a solid combination of gathering and crafting as your main class(es) (like fishing+cooking or mining+blacksmithing) you could probably end up rather wealthy by the time a class you're really interested rolls around. The average person is going to primarily focus on a melee/mage class with maybe a crafting or a gathering on the side, at most.

Nut Steamer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Kenichi View Post
    Anybody else hating the current classes, confused about what to focus on while we wait for content? >: Maybe I'd level up mages in anticipation for future magic classes (Arcanist/Mystic) if I knew what they were, or if I'd like them.
    Yea i have the same thoughts. Usually i know almost right away what to level, but now i'm having mixed feelings about what to focus on mainly.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Odds are that you'll have to level the class you don't like anyway for abilities, may as well do them first. (my plan)

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I've leveled all of the DoW to at least 10 and none of them really feel that boring to me, the only problem I currently have is that I'm still not sure which class to focus on mainly, but I guess time will solve that.

DoM classes I haven't really played enough to give an opinion.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

My main worry is that since DoM can both use the cure spells both classes are going to be shoved into a main healer role by the player base and you'll be spamming almost nothing but cures in party play. Which is a shame if you're wanting to play a magic damage class. I'll start out as a CNJ but if things head that way it won't be long before I switch to DoW.

Miner ftw

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

/hifive Greedouw for the right decision.

Miners unite!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZYMaV7FM_g...s/s400/001.jpg

Gentaro

The War&Magic classes don't seem interesting to me either......guess I'm gonna play Botanist till something else is out <.<

Yeah, I am going to mostly gather and craft. However, I will take one DoM to surplus each week for the hell of it.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I'm doing:
    Armorer
    Goldsmithing
    Blacksmithing
    Mining
    Botany
    Alchemy

Why? Because once Musketeer rolls around I know people will try to charge an arm and a leg for bullets like they try to in FFXI towards CORs so I'll get a headstart on supporting myself. The only War class that interest me is Pugilist and Magic class, Conjurer.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

I'm kinda stuck there too

I like Gladiator alot and a bit of Conjurer. The other classes bores me. Gonna try some Armorer too, so I guess i'll play Glad main and Armorer sub but I don't know how well it will make me since at first we kinda need to level up each craft to make it worthwhile

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I like harvesting with scythe. Looks like you are hunting for smurfs.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lythandies Demeris
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Wyrmrest Accord

I'm doing:
    Armorer
    Goldsmithing
    Blacksmithing
    Mining
    Botany
    Alchemy

Why? Because once Musketeer rolls around I know people will try to charge an arm and a leg for bullets like they try to in FFXI towards CORs so I'll get a headstart on supporting myself. The only War class that interest me is Pugilist and Magic class, Conjurer.
    Never thought I'd quote something you posted and say 'Pretty damn smart' but... pretty damn smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkrish View Post
    /hifive Greedouw for the right decision.

Miners unite!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ZYMaV7FM_g...s/s400/001.jpg
    Hey man, getting to level 16 and making a shitload of money is awesome

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

Quote Originally Posted by Greedouw View Post
    Hey man, getting to level 16 and making a shitload of money is awesome
    What happens at 16?

edit: Also I'm not sure what I'm doing. I'm likely doing Gladiator but all of the classes feel kinda underwhelming. There's going to be so much shit to do I'll probably dabble in everything anyways. The tanking mechanics in this game feel really awkward, but that may be mostly due to the UI and targeting system.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vagrant Tarupunter
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    My main worry is that since DoM can both use the cure spells both classes are going to be shoved into a main healer role by the player base and you'll be spamming almost nothing but cures in party play. Which is a shame if you're wanting to play a magic damage class. I'll start out as a CNJ but if things head that way it won't be long before I switch to DoW.
    I'll be in the same situation. I've been enjoying playing CNJ during the Open Beta so far and will start out that class. If it does get to a point though where I'm expected to do nothing but heal a party on the class I'll switch myself over to either Marauder or Lancer.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I wouldn't mind giving archer a try. What's the arrow situation like?

Quote Originally Posted by avelle View Post
    What happens at 16?

edit: Also I'm not sure what I'm doing. I'm likely doing Gladiator but all of the classes feel kinda underwhelming. There's going to be so much shit to do I'll probably dabble in everything anyways. The tanking mechanics in this game feel really awkward, but that may be mostly due to the UI and targeting system.
    I Agree.. The amount of things you have to do to become efficient is overwhelming but im up for the challenge. The Targeting system is horrid tho... i be sitting there 30 seconds trying to select through PC's and other shit trying to get to the dodo right next to me.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Avelle Asteria
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    I wouldn't mind giving archer a try. What's the arrow situation like?
    Archer is a lot of fun, but I'm not convinced their damage potential makes up for the cost of ammo in the long run. Also getting caught without arrows is really shitty as you have no other way to defend yourself. Soloing seemed to get progressively more difficult as things start hitting harder and harder and you aren't killing any faster.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast