+ Reply to Thread

Huge question about cellular phones...

Ok well... I have been wondering and pondering this for a long time and today... Well I asked a guy at Cingular about sim chips and why Verizon doesn't use them... Well of course I'm almost 100% sure that he lied out his ass because what he said is this "Verizon is using 10 year old integrated phone memory and we are using the newest stuff" (Doesn't AMPD and Helio use integrated memory or do they do SIMs as well?) he also said something about analog and digital and how verizon gets a mostly analog signal and they use only digital... Well I know the analog and digital part is bullshit because everyone I know that uses Verizon always gets service(except in mountains and thats like 15% of the time) and its always digital service(or so it says on their phone... So what I want to know... Other than the obvious "easier to switch phones"... Which is better SIM chips or Integrated Memory in phones!

Aside from that... I heard Verizon's razr has a place to extend the phones memory... Is that true?

netz

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Ive used cingular for about 6 years now. Never had a problem with it. Dunno if that helps/answers your questions.

I have a cheapass Nokia and it has both phone and SIM memory. You'd be hard-pressed to find one these days that doesn't have both, AFAIK, unless you get a sidekick which stores everything on a centralized server and nothing on the phone itself.

Why are you asking the Cingular guy what Verizon is doing? Call up Verizon.

As far as Verizon I am looking into a new phone, since I can get one for pretty much free with my contract.
    I am looking at the LG VX8300 and brand new 8500 (Chocolate), anyone have any experience with these?

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Just my opinion...memory (or type of memory) is a poor way to decide which phone to pick. It's all about the network and how much coverage it has.

This greatly varies on your city, and is probably best done by asking people specifically where you travel what phone they use and what kind of coverage they get.

Nextel has been my standard for like 7 years now, however with their network it's all or nothing...there's no roaming anywhere but that's a blessing and a curse. You'll need to stay around metro areas or interstates.

Cell phone plans change almost too fast to even fairly compare anymore. Chances are if you find one company that has a great network in your area but their plans aren't the best they will probably match whatever other company is popular in the area.

It's better to discount you 20% than lose you as a potential customer. Don't ever take any shit off some guy at a kiosk either about it, he might not have the power to modify plans but the customer service of the company will. For that reason I usually deal directly with the company and not a reseller. Owning your own phone cheap is a nice way to get this done, I'm sure by utilizing Google you can find a phone you like for sale very cheap and the bonus being it's not connected to a contract. Don't expect them to change the contract for you if they are giving you a $200 phone to signup, it can happen but unlikely.

Whatever you end up buying, I highly recommend getting a phone with Bluetooth capabilities and to spend the extra money on a Bluetooh wireless headset.

I hated driving around with my last headset because it was more bullshit wires you had to deal with plus you had to dial on the phone anyway, but now that I have a bluetooth headset talking is truly "hands free."

The sound is crisp, and all you have to do is just push the button on your ear and my phone goes "Say a command"...and I just say something like "Call Mom" and it will dial up my mom. It's pretty sweet.

Phone that use SIM cards, are easyer to move to a different service.

IMO Verizon does not use them, because
    1-it probably would make it easyer for people to steal from their media shit you have to DL on the phone for money.
    2-if the phone does not have a sim card, most likely (or too much BS to go though) you cannot swich the phone to a different service provider.

On the basis of SIM Card/Intergrated memory. This shouldent even be a debate. SIM cards are mostly used for the cell phone provider to store you phone's ID/Serals/Settings. SIM card's give you a miniscule amount of memory to use towards your own data.

But the real winner here is expantion slots-for memory cards, and bluetooth.

So bassicly what that Wiki says is the Verizon Razr sucks... Also... Can you upload music to the razr pictures backgrounds and other stuff or is it the you have to buy it deal?

Groovebox

So bassicly what that Wiki says is the Verizon Razr sucks... Also... Can you upload music to the razr pictures backgrounds and other stuff or is it the you have to buy it deal?
    You can get a PC-kit for the razr that allows you to transfer Pictures, MP3s, and other shit to it. Motorola sells it, and I think it's fairly inexpensive.

However, if you are savvy for this sort of thing check out:

http://www.mark-world.tv/motorola/

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if you are gonna be buying a phone, there is absolutely no reason NOT to buy a RAZR if you have the money, no other phone (besides a blackberry, hello additional 50 bucks a month) comes close to it's features.