Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stun-botting Tiamat?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Stun-botting Tiamat?

A couple weeks ago, I watched a BLM at Tiamat stun 4 Tebbad Wings and/or Inferno Blasts in a row. On rare occasions, I've seen these TP moves stunned by accident by a random stun ... is it physically possible to do this consistently? Hitting pretty much every single one, on a BLM much less? I know I couldn't, but maybe I just suck.

Is stun-botting is a new phenomenon, or has it been been going on for a long time and I've just had my head in the sand.

Old Merits
    BG Level

it can be done

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The blast is actually pretty easy to stun on Wyrms. I've found it to actually have a longer warmup time than Jorm's Blizzaga III

I remember a while back there was a JP RDM/DRK that stunned most of Vrtra's Wings as well, making the fight pretty easy. Not sure if it was just JP latency powerz, or something else

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Those TP moves are far from instant, and if you've fought Tiamat more than a few times its relatively easy to approximate when he is going to try to use a TP move. 4 times in a row is incredibly lucky, so I'm not ruling out the possibility of a bot. Did he start casting stun before Tiamat even readied it in the log? Or after, just in time?

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

CoP Wyrms use TP abilities on a timer, much like they cast spells. They use TP abilities more frequently when they start raging out.

Someone probably just timed the rate at which they perform TP skills and stunned them at the right time.

By the way, only Inferno Blast and Tebbad Wing were stunned. Breath was never stunned, and they consistently missed stunning Firaga IIIs.

It's possible for a RDM/DRK with fast cast and insane reflexes + JP Latency.

Chat messages are delayed by quite a while after the client gets them, especially with lots of other spam on the screen. So a 3rd party tool would make this a lot easier/reliable, since it'll "detect" the TP move quicker than any legit player would even see the message on their screen.

I guess if you set up your chat filters properly you could have a decent chance. Or you could just stun when it looks like he's going to use TP (after fighting him a lot, you can usually tell by his movement what he's gonna do).

It's also possible he uses TP on a timer, which would make this even easier (although the rate of TP usage increases as his HP gets lower).

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah, predicting TP moves is actually a pretty reliable way to Stun as well. Proto-Ultima is a great example of this. After he uses Nuclear Waste, as soon as he gets 100 TP he will follow up with a Fan. You can't stun these by reacting to them, but you sure as hell can stun them by counting his TP and hitting stun right when he should be readying it. I've managed to get 3 in a row before, and with a bit more practice you could probably stop them all. I wouldn't be surprised if someone could do that to Tiamat as well, especially pre-30%.

I've personally stunned a few wings on Jormungand. After a while you can kinda "feel" when a mob is going to use a TP move. The problem is, you never know which one it is, so I would occasionally grab junk like Glacial Breath as well

It was a BLM, not a RDM/DRK ... and I'm pretty sure it was dual-boxed at the time too with another character.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

There's only one way to know if he's botting for sure. The next time his LS gets Tiamat, flail it. If he starts casting stun right before the flail, he's probably botting then.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

he could be watching animation.

basically, there's 2 ways to stun things like this: reading the log, and watching the mob. you lose the security of knowing that you're stunning what you actually want to if you stun cast/TP animation but you also gain a lot of time leverage and will almost always stun it.

that's how i stun jorm's blizzaga3; i can barely ever hit it by reading hte log just because of the filters i choose and the lag i have in chat, but if i watch him casting, i can almost always get it. if you watch him cast black magic in the air it's almost always gonna be blizzaga3, if it's bindga that sucks but that's what multiple rdm/drk is for

so on tiamat if you watched his TP move animation and stunned that it's definitely possible i'd say

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sci Gauss
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

When you have melees swinging at it on the ground, and BLMs casting on it randomly, you're not going to be able to figure a fixed time that Tiamat will be using TP moves. (which they did)

It was a NA BLM/WHM. So at best he had Rostrums+Loq. Earring. And I wouldn't question the botting. I passed him in the maze at night time and I had NIN AF boots. When I was half way to Tiamat, people told me that he was already there. *gasp*

Not to mention that he didn't cure himself, not even at night time. A couple firagas got off (other people were on stun duty for those), and he had low HP for a while then along came Mr Arch Corse. I'm sorry, if you're some godly stunner who can predict TP moves, you should at least have the sense to not stand around for a minute with yellow HP in the middle of Corse land.

Stunning Jorm Blizzaga III is /much/ easier than looking at the TP moves that Tiamat is using and choosing which you want to stun. We have good RDM/DRKs who will stun most of Jorm's Blizzaga IIIs but laugh at being able to stun wings and blasts consistently.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

there was a stunbot on the windower forum that stunned when a mob readyed an ability but I think they took it down because it was a bot.

You can't really tell for sure if someone is using a stun bot, unless they admit to it.

I could probably accept the animation or timing explanations if he stunned Breath as well, but he just skipped over breath and only stunned Wing and Blast.

Anyway, I just got confirmation of my suspicions anyway ... I guess my real question was (is) is this common practice?

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Sykes
    I could probably accept the animation or timing explanations if he stunned Breath as well, but he just skipped over breath and only stunned Wing and Blast.

Anyway, I just got confirmation of my suspicions anyway ... I guess my real question was (is) is this common practice?
    It's not hard to write, I know people that had written one but never played alongside anyone actually using it (to my knowledge.) It used to take it's own interface but now you can basically use ffxiapp's onevent to run one if you liked.

I think it's kinda dumb, since it essentially takes a player out of service, even if they are stunning 100% they aren't doing anything else. I guess it's fine if you are dualboxing half the alliance anyways.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Sykes

If he was just stunning wing and blast, wouldn't that confirm that he wasn't botting? Since as far as I can tell from reading this thread, the bot doesn't discriminate which TP move is being used before casting stun, it just stuns any and every TP move it catches.

Xajii: If jorm casts bindga its not that big of a deal, since he'll only cast bindga OR blizzaga, not both at the same time or a few seconds inbetween. If he does bindga and you stun late no big deal, just wait for the next cast like you normally would.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

the bot doesn't discriminate which TP move is being used before casting stun
    No they do use the chat log, but with filters set correctly (for a bot) they move faster than you think. Also the text doesn't have to come up on the screen to read it, this is memory based.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Raineer
    the bot doesn't discriminate which TP move is being used before casting stun
    No they do use the chat log, but with filters set correctly (for a bot) they move faster than you think. Also the text doesn't have to come up on the screen to read it, this is memory based.
    Ah, news to me, never even heard of such a bot before. Still, its not like Wing or Blast are damaging, with everyone using fire resist builds these days, Blast hardly does any damage at all. They're easy enough to catch legit anyway. The only time I could see this coming in handy would be a lagged Cerberus, but who still kills that?

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius
    If he was just stunning wing and blast, wouldn't that confirm that he wasn't botting? Since as far as I can tell from reading this thread, the bot doesn't discriminate which TP move is being used before casting stun, it just stuns any and every TP move it catches.
    My confirmation was from someone in the LS that admitted that they were botting after I posted about it elsewhere.

Anyway, I imagine that a bot like that would monitor the chat log in memory and look for specific entries. Since log entries appear in memory much sooner than they actually appear in the chat log, combined with the fact that you don't have the human delay in the response time, it would be possible to stun where a normal player can't.