+ Reply to Thread

Weird semi-broken internet

Ok i've had a problem with my internet for about over a month or so. I have no idea what the problem is so i figured maybe an expert here could figure something out and tell me how to fix it if it is fixable from my side. Here is some background and the problem. It is a dorm room internet and my internet semi dies. What happens is, in terms of ffxi, my S goes to about 60 and doesnt change unless i relog or zone. However i could be dual boxing and only one window is effected where the other is not.

I.E.

Windower app #1
    Normal S and R

Windower App #2
    Low S and normal R (until i zone or relog)

The S is the one that is effected not really the R. It seems normal when i do /search or /seacom functions , but for graphic things like moving and attacking its laggy.

I could be downloading at 100 kbs a second in the background and still have the gay S thing going on. Also i used this same lap-top for dial up internet through AOL and dual boxed and this problem never occured which raises suspicion that its just my school network but i do not understand it at all nor how to stop it. Just hoping that someone knows whats going on and how to stop it from happening if possible, because im tired of this thing happening at random and sometimes happening every 10 minutes and forcing me to relog every 10 minutes (not fun for doing ashuf talif >.>). Thanks in advance

edit: Also id like to add that if i hit a WS (During the crappy S thing) i wont see it on my screen for like 3-5 secs but ill see it on the other dual box in like 1-2 secs

I'm not sure, but it might be bandwidth capping on oneline games. My old school installed a bandwidth limiter (actually I installed it against my will ><) and could limit the total amount of bandwidth used by application. There might be some sort of "online game" category and all the people playing WoW, FFXI, and etc force it to hit the limit, so your bandwidth gets limited. Not sure about it but it seems the most likely culprit if you can still download at a normal speed. We used it to stop filesharing though, I don't know what your schools' priority is.

If it is that, there's not way for you to fix it.

Assuming that what you hypothesized is correct, then is there anyway to bypass it, or trick the system into thinking that its not a online gaming application?