Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: @Maxx     submit to reddit submit to twitter

The Flying Scotsman
    BG Level

@Maxx

So I've decided DRK is going to be my next full time project. I've noticed that Scythe *really* blows. At Lv 29 I'm stacking DEX gear because there is no real ACC boost until cock charm at 33, and I still miss like hell. And the WS damage is total trash. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just something I'm going to have to deal with until Guillotine?

Not sure what level you are...and I know I'm -not- Maxx lol, but leveling DRK just to 37, I know that ACC was terrible up to there, whether scythe or great sword. It made me bonkers and is sorta the reason I would hesitate to level it further. However, after noticing how fast a DRK will pull hate, I think the missing is actually helpful to a degree to save your butt.

The Flying Scotsman
    BG Level

I found out real fast that I need to just stay the fuck away from Last Resort unless I've got TP and I know I can make the kill shot. That mistake only had to be made twice. And right now I'm 29.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

why would u ask maxx for any advice, specifcly DRK?
    TIS TOPIC IS WINRAR
    I love you maxy-pooh ;;
    loldrk
    lolmax

Everyone misses like crazy @ those levels. I'm leveling SAM through them and it sucks ass. It just seems worse with high delay weapons.

You'll get the best damage out of Gaxe at those levels, sturmwind rapes. I might use scythe just because who the fuck cares and keeping scythe leveled is good.

Damage gets much better @30 though, zerk is great.

Also keep dark magic skill up and spam drain/aspir, drain helps damage a surprising amount while leveling, even if it looks like you drained 0.

WSes suck for quite a while. Focusing on DoT is the way to go, and yes, DRK can get some awesome DoT. At 50 our DoT gets godly with Barbarian's Scythe (atk+25 acc-5) and double attack from WAR sub.

A really great food to use for early levels is Rice Dumplings, you get acc+5, atk+20%(cap 45%225), and STR+3.

Best of luck to you.

Oh and if its easy to play DRK you're doing it wrong. There is a lot of shit to juggle. If you thought last resort was a deathwish wait for souleater... Except souleater is actually a huge boost instead of an extremely gimp zerk.

The Flying Scotsman
    BG Level

I'm trying not to be a moron about this. Last Resort kinda blows, I never knew it sucked so bad. Right now, there are no mobs for me to Aspir, will have to wait until beetles in GC, so I'm stuck with Drain and Bio.

Edit: that sig owns, nice coloring

This should go without saying, but don't skillup in PT with Bio. Drain/Aspir is fine and stun where it's appropriate. Or sleep mobs around your level at a zone line and spam stun and aspir, or use Hpemdes (I forget if you can get dark skillups from unaspirable mobs, though). Nothing is more annoying than someone casting Bio on shit in exp when Dia benefits the PT, though it seems to be mostly RDMs who do it lol

Just drain and bio is enough for now I guess. Drain is of utmost importance for a long time, DRK pulls hate and drain is an awesome tool to heal back the HP you lose for your entire DRK career. Drain also scales up very well as you level, its a bit shitty at first but it stays 21 MP and eventually is 250 minimum unresisted. Stun, when you get it, is also quite useful if the mob is close enough to death to not have to worry about the hate gain from it and you just want to stop a quick attack round.

@Suiram: Dia 1 is 5% which is minimal at any level. Dia II is worth it but bio doesnt overwrite it Also with PLD tanks Bio is beneficial.

As for the sig, well, I ganked it cause I liked to so much from somebody on another forum.

Well, 5% is still 5% the way I view it, and marginally helping your PT kill faster is better than helping a DRK or RDM or BLM skillup; that kind of thing is supposed to be done on your own time. Now, of course if Bio is better for the PT as with a PLD tank like you mentioned, then that's a different story.

Its the kind of thing that will not matter at all. Its a 'why not' sort of thing. Also take account that Bio does more DoT and initial damage... but, like the 5% defense loss, its such a minute amount it doesnt matter. Fact is Exp pts are made to progress your job and since bioing doesnt really hurt anybody and benefits you greatly.

The Flying Scotsman
    BG Level

I've been sneaking in GS skillups during merit parties so I have Spinning Slash when I can use it. I usually get a 30 min in of GS before someone notices and makes me change weapons :3

Well, chalk it up to a pet peeve/personal preference thing I suppose. It still really annoys me, probably because on BLM I took time when I wasn't doing anything else or when I was LFP waiting for invite to skill up enfeebling/dark solo on EM-T mobs. And I've seen it done at the Dia II+ levels too, but I suppose you're right that it doesn't really hurt before then. (Edit: Talking here about a RDM who will cast Bio II instead of Dia II, or a BLM overwriting Dia II, etc. Can you even get skillups casting a no-effect Bio I when Dia II is on the enemy? Probably I guess because you still deal direct damage.)

One more thing: Do not DRK drunk again fgt. Its one job that if you putz around in you can get yourself and your entire PT killed in.

Common shitty DRK situation: HAY GUYZ LOOK WUT I CNA DO!!! Souleater last resort+ws omg! ITS ON ME WTF I THOT IT WULD 1SHOT fk HEAL ME WHM. *WHM heals DRK* SHITSHIT *WHM runs outta MP* DAMNGSOI I DEID *mob kills MPless WHM next and the rest of the pt* OGOD THAT WAS SO FUCKING FUNNY LMFAO

I might take DRK to 37 soon. Since I already did WAR to 37, would it be better for me just to /NIN and dual Axes instead of 2 Hand Weapon?

The Flying Scotsman
    BG Level

There was no drunk DRKing last night/this morning, the JPs somenow knew I was up to no good.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    I might take DRK to 37 soon. Since I already did WAR to 37, would it be better for me just to /NIN and dual Axes instead of 2 Hand Weapon?
    Dual Wield blows until Dual Wield II, which you get at main50/NIN25. If you think your party will have hate control issues, sub NIN for shadows I guess, but dual wield I is horked.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

If I don't remember completly wrong, Aspir can give skill ups even if you Aspir for 0MP. I'm pretty sure I was doing that on my blm to skill up dark magic (I didn't bother to start leveling it before it was like 100 skill behind my elemental... then I kinda thought I should start on it).

And about bio/dia skill up, it's always possible to get skill ups when using them, even when casting dia on mob that has been bio'd & dia does 0 dmg. Only once I have got resisted message with bio... and that was just before besieged ended, so most likely just a glitch.

And speaking of besieged, that is awesome way to skill up dark/enfeebling magic (bio & dia on some mob unitl you run out of MP -> that MP x2 item -> megaelixir -> dia/bio -> hi-elixir). I usually get about 1k exp with just bio/dia spamming, but I'm lagging a lot (do something, wait 15s, it works..maybe), so it should be possible to get max possible exp as long as you can keep chaining them on monster. Usually, about 3 skill ups on both + 1k exp/IS. Not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    No. No it wouldnt. I'd just use Gaxe if you plan to only take it to 37. Sturmwind > all for those levels.

Its not worth it to dual wield for DRK until rampage and even then its arguable since you'd have much better DoT with Barb Scythe -> Vassago's Scythe.

Alright cool good deal thanks for the tips.

GAxe it is. I think it's pretty high too from my WAR.