+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Tactical Nuclear Penguin (world's strongest beer)

http://www.asylum.co.uk/2009/11/27/w...-competitiors/

Madcap Scottish brewing maestro Brew Dog, has launched the world's strongest beer to a volley of criticism from health chiefs.

The 32% abv brew, called Tactical Nuclear Penguin (great name), takes over the mantle as the world's strongest beer from German concoction Schorschbraerm which weighs in at a measly 31% abv.

The incredible strength was attained when the beer, which started life as a 10 percent imperial stout, was aged for 16 months in two different whiskey casks before being stored in a freezer at a ball-shriveling -20°C for three weeks.

Though not everyone was impressed as we are. Chief executive of Alcohol Focus Scotland, Jack Law, told The Sun: "The fact that they have achieved a new world record is not admirable.

"It is a product with a lot of alcohol in it - that's all. To dress it up as anything else is cynical." Fair point but the assertions are despite Brew Dog marketing the beer for connoisseurs, and advising people to drink it in short nips, like a spirit.

Tactical Nuclear Penguin will be available to buy online and from two off licenses one in London and one in Edinburgh, at £30 and £250 which also buys you a share in the company and will go towards building a £2.3m "eco-friendly, carbon neutral brewery in Aberdeen". Strong beers and green credentials.

This news tickled our beery taste-buds - we wanted to know, what are the world's strongest beers? So we found them, and so can you - after the break.

Sam Adam's Utopias - USA - Boston Beer Company - 24% abv - £56 per bottle

Not only is it one of the strongest beers in the world, Samuel Adams Utopias is also among the world's most expensive. Only 8,000 of the limited edition brew were made and came in this odd copper kettle (left).

Boston Beer Company, the brewer responsible for Utopias, said the beer was designed to be enjoyed slowly as an after dinner tipple.

Brewery founder Jim Koch said: "We are passionate about brewing quality, one-of-a-kind beer that amazes beer lovers and aficionados alike."

Our twopence: Despite it being 24% we reckon Utopias will taste like most other American beers - like the bottom of a boat - ie... pretty close to water.
    Schorschbock 31 - Germany - Schorschbräu - 31% abv - £45 per bottle

This eisbock beer is made by freezing a doppelbock brew then removing the ice to concentrate the flavour and alcohol content. It is deep copper in colour with ruby highlights and tastes intensely hoppy and sweet.

The bock is a traditional brew that goes back to the 14th century, when apparently, binge drinking was still a bit of a problem.

Our twopence: If there's one thing we will concede to the Germans it is that they do beer very, very well. That's it though - nothing else.

World Wide Stout - USA - Dogfish Head - 23% abv - £12 for 6 (plus £25 p&p)

This burly little stout is a pitch black malty number designed for sipping rather than gulping. Head retention can be a problem due to it's hefty alcohol content, but by the time you've finished a bottle you probably won't care.

This Delaware based brewers has garnered a reputation for supremely crafted ales in a very short space of time since they started churning out beers in 1995.

Our twopence: Most Americans we've met couldn't tell the difference between an IPA and their elbow, so it's nice to see some yanks who understand ale.

Tokyo - UK - Brew Dog - 18.2% abv - £47.35 for 24

According to the Brew Dog website this Stout was inspired by Space Invaders.

They also claim: "The irony of existentialism, the parody of being and the inherent contradictions of post-modernism, all so delicately conveyed by the blocky, pixelated arcade action have all been painstakingly recreated in this bottles contents."

Which oddly makes us want to try it. We've never tasted contradiction before, well apart from, like, kinder eggs.

Our twopence: Surely tastes more like stout than irony of existentialism.

Tennent's Super - UK - Wellpark - 9% abv - £5 for 8

The vagrant's choice. Tennent's is most commonly seen being quaffed by the less fortunate members of our society. Though it also has a cult following among less domestically-challenged people.

A potent and surprisingly full-bodied brew, Tennent's manages to avoid tasting like other super-strength lagers which play on the palette with all the subtly of methylated spirit diluted with washing up liquid.

Our twopence: It genuinely doesn't taste that bad, much better than Carling, but you can't buy it because people will think you don't have a home.
    now the question I bring to you...anyone try it, and is it any good?

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Beer shouldn't be stronger than 8%.

Anything above that is just silly.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Do want.

THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU THOU

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shiroe Blackrose
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Blabj View Post

Pussy.

Wow, with a name that awesome, it has to be impossible for it to taste bad.

I want one for the bottle alone lol.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

If you want something strong drink spirits. Anything above 8-12% isn't gonna taste of beer, it's just gonna taste of alcohol.

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I want to try one just to say I've tried Tactical Nuclear Penguin (and, in line with Trelution, I want the bottle).

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

If you want something strong drink spirits. Anything above 8-12% isn't gonna taste of beer, it's just gonna taste of alcohol.
    This. Anything over that is impossible to brew naturally because the yeast dies off at that high of a proof and it has to be fortified or freeze-distilled like the OP. Why not just drink spirits instead of beer which is obviously gonna taste like shit?

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Gotta get into this...only because it's in the article.

I've had Sam Adam's Utopia...and while I love Sam Adam's...particularly their winter lager...that Utopia stuff isn't worth it. It has nearly the exact same flavor profile of a good tawny port (okay that is kinda cool that a beer can end up tasting like a tawny port), but that being said, i'd rather spend $20 on a bottle of good port, than $20 on a snifter of beer.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

I want it just to say I've had it.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Trollbane

must have extremely retarded OP beer

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

I thought this was about COD.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

69 kill streak reward

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Kerberoz View Post
    This. Anything over that is impossible to brew naturally because the yeast dies off at that high of a proof and it has to be fortified or freeze-distilled like the OP. Why not just drink spirits instead of beer which is obviously gonna taste like shit?
    Because they wouldn't be called Tactical Nuclear Penguin.

Plus I am curious as to how exactly it tastes.

E. Body
    BG Level

Wrong. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3818/38394

Tactical nuclear penguin? Is the owner a Disgaea fan or something?

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Saga View Post
    There is going to be some wiggle room <> 12% depending on the brewing process and flavoring involved but let's not kid ourselves, 32% alcohol content is carbonated whiskey, and that's what this crap will taste like.

Quote Originally Posted by Darus Grey View Post
    Tactical nuclear penguin? Is the owner a Disgaea fan or something?
    To be honest, I'd actually drink beer for once if it came in a mug shaped like PenPen from Evangelion.

http://collateraldamage.files.wordpr.../10/penpen.jpg

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

pffffffft.

(though i'd be shocked if beer mentioned in OP tastes like anything other than shit)