• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

System hangs on a black screen at startup

Ohgod this is so annoying.

Background: I'm running winXP SP...whatever the newest one is right now. Have not had any problems since I got the PC. Can't do a clean install of XP atm due to having lost a certain code but I'd rather fix it without doing so anyway.

I found a few months ago that since avast! anti-virus updated to ver7, a lot of people's computers were hanging on a black screen for ~5-10 mins this way (after the windows logo screen and before the desktop/taskbar and stuff pops) and then hanging on the desktop for a long time (another 5 mins or so) without starting up explorer - including mine. Keeping avast from starting at startup fixed that problem.

Well, I recently started having that problem again (today, in fact!). Thinking it might be avast again, I uninstalled it completely (because it was starting up at startup even though I told it not to >_>). Thinking I solved the problem, I rebooted again and...same issue. The exact same behavior. It's not avast this time. So what is it?

Comp has been check clean of viruses/malware. Everything else runs fine. I did, however make a few changes recently. I updated windows for the first time ...uh... since I got it? so that might be causing it (though I don't see why it would). I also switched to firefox 13 over palemoon in the past couple days.

So, any ideas? I would rather not rollback either, even if it did fix the problem I'd rather figure out what's causing it... I can only assume whatever avast was doing is causing this in the same way, but I don't know what it was doing that was causing it.

Thanks in advance.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Can you try going in safe mode and search the regedit see if theres Avast traces there?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Actually safe mode does the same thing (it hangs on starting up, after it lists all the files it's starting). And I use CCleaner to nuke any leftovers in the registry so there shouldn't be any from avast.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Windows Explorer is gradually rotting away.

Windows rot is what it's called. Something expedited it; maybe avast.

You should look into reinstalling Windows. I saw that you said you didn't have a code, and well, I know the rules here, so I'll just say to research alternative methods of getting past that issue.

If you do reinstall Windows, don't use Avast! anymore. Microsoft Security Essentials is more than enough for all of your anti-malware needs.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

avast or something expedited it? How is that possible? If just installing/uninstalling a program chipped away at Windows' health I feel it would have gone a long time ago. I know these things happen but this specific explanation is kind of weird to me.

I know I'm in need of a reinstall though. It's been years.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Might feel like overkill, but the problem also sounds like it'd be just as much of a pain in the ass to track down that I imagine an afternoon reinstalling Windows would end up being the better end of the deal.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Yes it's been so long since I got this PC I guess I'll just bite the bullet and buy win7 with student discount.

Is there a big difference between home and professional? I've never paid much attention to small differences between versions.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Found a breakdown here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...oducts/compare - I know one that stands out for me is that you can't use Remote Desktop to view other network PCs with Home. I think I remember you also doing something with Asian language? I don't know if the lesser versions don't support language packs at all, but Ultimate throws 35 for you to pick from right off the bat. Also, if you want I can PM you the super secret student professor special bond A+ team discount.

I don't think this suggestion is against forum rules, if it is feel free to delete it. Although if you're willing to go to Windows 7, I would ignore this suggestion and go that route.

If you choose to reinstall XP, but have lost your key, there is a simple program to read the key that your PC is currently using (giving you the same valid key, not an illegal one). Google Magic Jelly Bean Keyfinder. It also works if you need to find out keys for some of your other programs, such as Office. They have a paid version to find more keys, but the free version has always been able to retrieve what I needed.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I'm having the same problem, i'm gonna try uninstalling avast hope this would solve this issue.