+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Ex-Pres of Penn State interviewed, equates loss of job to child rape

Searched the forums, didn't see a 'main' thread for this. I heard some of the Penn State crap spilled into the Celebrity Death Thread and College Football. If a mod feels it needs to be moved, go ahead.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...y-scandal.html
    In this case it is so troubling, because you had all these young victims. You had someone who took advantage of his position, his reputation. He took advantage of the access that he had through this charity. Parents believed in him, children believed in him. Donors who gave millions of dollars, very prominent citizens who were members of the Second Mile board believed in him. He did something absolutely horrible, criminal, outrageous, unforgivable, and I do think some people are afraid to look at the larger picture for fear that they would be thought of as turning their back on the victims or the children. It’s very hard to stand up, because you don’t want to be—nobody wants to be perceived as excusing anything that happened. And for me, it’s very troubling, because what Sandusky did is he’s ruined the lives of so many people. He’s affected profoundly the lives of these children, these former children, and their families, but all of the other people as well, who have lost their jobs and who have been pulled into this. And, you know, there are times when I am in a mode of substantial grief about what happened to those kids. And then I switch into times of grieving for myself, and my colleagues, and the Paterno family, who I know so well, and the community that’s suffering here.... We always talked about the Penn State family, and that’s how this place feels and how we operate. Everybody knows everybody. Everybody’s connected and everybody’s intertwined, and this is a trauma in so many ways and at so many levels.
    I suspect sociology majors would be drawn to the region to study the rock-hard (>_>) culture of denial at Pedd State. Hilariously, this guy has tenure, and retains a job as...get this...a sociology professor.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Re: Ex-Pres of Penn State interviewed, equates loss of job to child rape

What? I haven't been following this closely, but isn't all he's saying is that he's sad about what happened to the kids, and sad for every one else who was affected by this, directly or indirectly? You don't think you're thinking a little too hard on this one?

I know their football program got destroyed in this, and because of that a lot of people are gonna lose their job. Is it wrong to feel bad for them too?

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    What? I haven't been following this closely, but isn't all he's saying is that he's sad about what happened to the kids, and sad for every one else who was affected by this, directly or indirectly? You don't think you're thinking a little too hard on this one?

I know their football program got destroyed in this, and because of that a lot of people are gonna lose their job. Is it wrong to feel bad for them too?
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Fm5GxFJQRU...on+Council.jpg

But what should I do with all this pseudo-outrage if I don't blow this out of proportion and find something wrong with a statement that had nothing wrong with it!?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Milkster View Post
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Fm5GxFJQRU...on+Council.jpg

But what should I do with all this pseudo-outrage if I don't blow this out of proportion and find something wrong with a statement that had nothing wrong with it!?!?!?!?
    good thing this isn't about gay rights then i suppose

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    good thing this isn't about gay rights then i suppose
    The President never said anything comparing him losing his job to the children getting raped/molested. Read my comment and stop trying to (unsuccessfully) troll. Be useful for once.

This was an awful attempt at framing to get people up in arms over nothing.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Azull Abaddon
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

I beleave that his has also claimed the finch report to be outright lies along with stating he had no idea what was going on. He seems to mostly be trying to cover his ass.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...s-freeh-report

The President never said anything comparing him losing his job to the children getting raped/molested. Read my comment and stop trying to (unsuccessfully) troll. Be useful for once.

This was an awful attempt at framing to get people up in arms over nothing.
    I think you're completely missing the point in that if someone had made a comment about homosexuality and it was framed in an attempt to get people up in arms over nothing, you would sing a different tune. (And your arms would definitely be in a position over your head)

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I think you're completely missing the point in that if someone had made a comment about homosexuality and it was framed in an attempt to get people up in arms over nothing, you would sing a different tune. (And your arms would definitely be in a position over your head)
    No, I wouldn't.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

I think feeling sorry for Joe Paterno or his denialist family is completely ridiculous in this situation.

No, I wouldn't.
    you found a way to be butthurt about anderson cooper saying he is gay

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Wasn't this the school where the students were more outraged over their legendary coach getting fired over a bunch of kids getting molested?

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Yeah that's the one.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    I think feeling sorry for Joe Paterno or his denialist family is completely ridiculous in this situation.
    this and end of story

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Yeah that's the one.
    Yea, fuck that school

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Wasn't this the school where the students were more outraged over their legendary coach getting fired over a bunch of kids getting molested?
    raped*

Should read the testimony. The sound of anal sex between Sandusky and an 11 year old victim is described in rather disturbing detail. But yeah. No reason to hold back what he did, and why the way the "community's" reaction is pants-on-head retarded. Sandusky raped children for decades with the Second Mile foundation and Penn State; it was only first discovered between 1998-2001.
    I'll edit this post if I find the testimony in a minute.

Edit: Here it is. Definitely recommend reading before coming to personal conclusions/opinions (blanket statement, not aimed at anyone, don't flip your shit).
    http://cnninsession.files.wordpress....esentment1.pdf

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

The victims' testimony was the most disturbing thing I have ever read

Mr. Anna Kendrick
    BGs Worst Golde Abuser

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Charles Barkley
    FFXIV Server
    Faerie
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Penn State fumbled this whole situation, but this is a stretch just looking to try and create drama. If he said he was getting metaphorically fucked in the ass, then yes that would be incredibly insensitive and only prompt further anger at him/PSU.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Follow-up for tl;dr lovers, check spoiler. Remember, this is just one victim he was caught with. There are 8 victims in the link alone, but he had been doing it for decades prior. It's a sick thought, but he created the Second Mile Foundation as essentially a child farm.

Spoiler'd for graphic. You've been warned.
    Spoiler: show
    On March 1, 2002, a Penn State graduate assistant ("graduate assistant") who was then 28 years old, entered the locker room at the Lasch Football Building on the University Park Campus on a Friday night before the beginning of Spring Break. The graduate assistant, who was familiar with Sandusky, was going to put some newly purchased sneakers in his locker and get some recruiting tapes to watch.
    It was about 9:30 p.m. As the graduate assistant entered the locker room doors, he was surprised to find the lights and showers on. He then heard rhythmic slapping sounds. He believed the sounds to be those of sexual activity. As the graduate assistant put the sneakers in his locker, he looked into the shower. He saw a naked boy, Victim 2, whose age he estimated to be ten years old, with his hands up against the wall, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky. The graduate assistant was shocked but noticed that both Victim 2 and Sandusky saw him. The graduate assistant left immediately, distraught.

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by quannum View Post
    you found a way to be butthurt about anderson cooper saying he is gay
    I wouldn't call that butthurt but I guess having any form of what could be considered an emotion is butthurt on the internet.

Why is Joe Paterno getting so much of the slack? If so many people, eyewitnesses nonetheless, saw/heard/witnessed about it why didn't they go straight to the police?

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Why is Joe Paterno getting so much of the slack? If so many people, eyewitnesses nonetheless, saw/heard/witnessed about it why didn't they go straight to the police?
    thats the million dollar question