+ Reply to Thread
    ulation. AKA: The Pickle!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Windows 7 Network Sharing Problem

I'm having issues sharing drives in windows 7 with the rest of my network. The people on my network can see all the folders, but the permissions are messed up somehow and can't actually see the files inside the folders. The pic is the screen I get.....

I've gone through this website and have everything setup the same way:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-7-and-xp/

The machines I'm sharing between are all on the same workgroup.

Here is the message I get....

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...tworkError.jpg

The image is from my laptop, where I was trying to access a file on my desktop.

----------------------

This image is from my desktop (the drive I'm trying to share).

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ermissions.jpg

What am I missing? :/

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

i am not 100% sure

but since hard drives root can be potentionally dangerous. You cannot use Everyone to share those

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Couple things.

Do you have a password set on your account on the laptop? Windows 7 typically will not allow access to an unsecured user account.

Second, try browsing to the network share by IP address instead of computer name. Try doing like... \\192.168.1.xxx\E$ and see if you can access the files that way.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

I don't have a password set to any of the PC's on my network. I have password protected sharing turned off though.

I just tried to open the folders using IP's also and it didn't work.

cmd

start \\192.168.10.34\Shares\Michael\Website Materials

Once I use that I get the same thing as the first picture I posted.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

What I've found in order to get Windows 7 networking to work without the use of HomeGroups is that I also have to click the Security tab next to the Sharing tab and configure permissions for "Everyone" or whichever user you want to allow as well.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

In the second picture I posted it has the permissions.....

Homegroup on the otherhand is something I have no idea how to use. Not everyone on my networking is running windows 7, so I figured just flat out sharing would be the route to go.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ejac View Post
    In the second picture I posted it has the permissions.....

Homegroup on the otherhand is something I have no idea how to use. Not everyone on my networking is running windows 7, so I figured just flat out sharing would be the route to go.
    Security permissions, in addition to the Share permissions. Since the security permissions window doesn't look like that I'm assuming you only have Share Permissions set.

HomeGroup doesn't play well with non-7 machines in my experience, but it doesn't seem like it was meant to anyway since neither XP or Vista was patched to utilize the codes used. I prefer normal sharing personally.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Quote Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
    i am not 100% sure

but since hard drives root can be potentionally dangerous. You cannot use Everyone to share those
    This was correct.

The hard drive was shared, yes. BUT the folders inside the hard drive could not be opened. I checked the shares on the actual folders and read "Not Shared".

I got it working, but the reason I wanted to share the drive is so that every folder wouldn't be listed, lol. If that makes any sense to you? ----- And I just stopped being retarded long enough to say "Why don't I make a single folder on the root drive and throw all the others into it"? So that's what I did and made that folder have the correct permissions.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm having a similar problem, but it's sharing folders between XP and Windows 7, wiht the shared folders being on the XP machine. My roommate recently reinstalled Win7 Pro 64-bit, and before he could see my shared drives on my XP machine (which are set to Read Only for Everyone, and write access is granted with account logins which everyone in my house has one of their own, and their own folder on my XP machine, since it has 3 TB and everyone else has a laptop), but since the reinstall he can't see my computer at all or the network printer. I'm wired in, and so is the printer, while he is on wireless. Another roommate running the same Win7 OS is also running wireless and can see me, but not the printer. The roommate that can't see me can't even access me by typing in my static IP address. I'm sharing my drives under the default Workgroup XP Pro uses, and this setup has worked since August when we got Win7, and was working with an old XP tower (now dead) and the laptops when they were running Vista Business 64-bit before Win7. Any ideas?