• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Chinch

university internet causing xbox live lag help please

I know its a stupid topic thread title but oh well

Anyways, I live in residence at university and my roommate and I got a linksys cisco router for both our xbox's and pcs... Problem is my internet isn't slow at all but my xbox live lags like crazy. The game I play most is NHL 10 online and its totally unplayable with lag. Another weird thing is my roommates xbox live doesn't lag nearly as much as mine, sometimes not even at all. Anyways, we're using an ethernet cable for everything (pcs and xbox), 4 in total so I was wondering if all that activity would slow it down.

Anyways, does anyone know how I can get rid of this lag, it's really frustrating... Last year in rez I had no problems at all with lag...

Also sometimes when I turn on my xbox I can't even sign on to LIVE.... please, I really want a stable connection!!!!

edit: would a xbox live wireless network adapter help at all? I was thinking of buying one.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

My first guess is the game you're playing is just laggy, not the connection, if your roommate doesn't lag at all and you do.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Maguspk may be on to something....
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...8at25458AM.png

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

An wired ethernet connection from all 4 devices to your router is as best as you'll do for latency and network transfer speed, but that won't change anything between your router and XBL.

I can't explain why solely your connection lags as opposed to your roommate's, but are you playing the same game? Are you both playing in NHL at the same time with him not having lag while you are? If no then it may be what has been mentioned as a problem with the game itself.

The only other thing I can think of is something congesting the network while you're playing as a possible coincidence. Not sure if torrents would or could have an effect on lag as I don't know what kind of bandwidth XBL uses, but it's also possible that if you're using torrents or P2P that are opening lots of connections with timeouts that are too long, the router performance could be affected. Just guesses, really!