Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Sid Meier’s Starships (PC/Mac/iOS)

Spoiler: show

2K and Firaxis Games today announced Sid Meier’s Starships, a new turn-based, adventure-driven interstellar strategy game from Sid Meier, creator of the award-winning Sid Meier’s Civilization series. Scheduled for release in early 2015 as a digital download for Windows-based PC, Mac and iPad, Sid Meier’s Starships lets players command a fleet of starships as they embark on a series of missions to explore the galaxy, protect planets and their civilizations, and build a federation to ultimately usher in a new age of peace throughout the galaxy.

“When designing Starships, I was intrigued by the idea of exploring the next chapter in the story of Civilization: Beyond Earth. What happens after we colonize our new home and eventually build starships to take to the stars? What has become of our long-lost brothers and sisters from the planet Earth?” said Sid Meier, director of creative development at Firaxis Games. “My goal was to create an experience that focuses on starship design and combat within a universe filled with interstellar adventure, diplomacy, and exploration.”

Sid Meier’s Starships challenges players to build a planetary federation by exploring the galaxy, expanding its influence and domain, researching futuristic technologies and engaging in deep, turn-based tactical space combat with an armada of uniquely customizable starships. Each new campaign will feature its own distinctive galactic strategy map of worlds with dynamically generated tactical combat missions that will enhance the game’s replay value. In addition, Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth fans who purchase Sid Meier’s Starships will uncover cross-connectivity with the two games such that will enhance and expand the depth of both game experiences.

“Sid has been a leader in the strategy and PC gaming market for more than 30 years,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “After successfully launching an experience touching upon mankind’s history on Earth, fans will now see how Sid has used the Civilization: Beyond Earth universe to deliver his own unique style of strategic gaming.”
    Spoiler: show

Official site: https://www.2k.com/games/sid-meiers-starships
    Release date: Spring 2015

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Looks cool but after how bad beyond earth was...... I'm cautious.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tekni Wintersbane
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Mok'Nathal

If its anything like alpha centauri, Im sold. I didnt play after earth, but i wanted to, Was it really that bad?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

It was rather underwhelming. I'm pretty sure I'll keep an eye here, but preorder monies are definitely going to be a hard sell for them now...

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Beyond Earth is fun, it just reeks of needing an expansion or two. Civ 5 wasn't very good at launch either honestly. Gods and Kings really opened it up.

The Shitlord
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharo Hadakkus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Rivendare

yeah, BE will be much better once an expansion or two land. But going from BNW + Mods to vanilla BE was kinda... disappointing.

as for Starships, if you want to know what this will be like, I suggest the Galactic Civilizations franchise, otherwise known as GalCiv, by Stardock. GalCiv II is quite old, now, but GalCiv III is in Early Access Beta on Steam. All of the screenshots I've seen of Starships tell me it's a GalCiv clone.

So, given the fact that I'm already a fan of the game they appear to be cloning, I'm only somewhat excited for this. Hopefully they do something to distinguish it from GalCiv.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Cid's just churning the shit out now, eh? Gonna over-saturate his own market at this rate.

the elephant whisperer
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I originally thought GalCiv looked like Pirates! in space...so he is really just reclaiming! lol

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Lazy game is Lazy
    No multiplayer, No Graphics Settings, Same Characters Shared Between Factions, All Factions have the same Tech Trees

TB's verdict, PC & Mac versions are a port of the iOS version.