Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Enhanced "Spikes"     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Enhanced "Spikes"

Recently, I came into acquisition of a shiny new pair of Duelist's Tights. I was just curious, about the Enhances Spikes effect. Also, is there any other gear that a RDM can wear to enhance them even more?

I don't really feel like wading through the AH, so just checking to see what peoples opinions are on this.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Hmm... ok, any tests done on this as to how effective/what it does? Haven't really gotten to try them out yet (and logged off for the night).

Thanks!

Blazespikes
    integer [integer ((INT + 2) / 12 + 4) * Magic Atk. Bonus]

Ice / Shock Spikes
    integer [integer ((INT + 10) / 20 + 2) * Matic Atk. Bonus]

Pants add about 2 damage to Blazespikes while worn, or something equally worthless. Pants are for the elemental magic and thats about it.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Pants also seem to make shock/ice spikes proc even more often as well. But yeah, mostly for the +10 elemental.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Ice spikes rival ninja jubaku proc rate or so I hear.

SO CURE BOMB THOSE PLDS NEXT FAFNIR :D

Predictably Unpredictable
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I noticed Ice Spikes' paralyze proc more with them.. but not so much with Shock Spikes' stun.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

So higher MAB helps with spikes? kewl.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik
    Ice spikes rival ninja jubaku proc rate or so I hear.

SO CURE BOMB THOSE PLDS NEXT FAFNIR :D
    I used to use Shock Spikes all the time, but after using Ice Spikes while tanking for a few NPC leveling sessions I am a firm believe in their power. The Paralyze effect from Ice Spikes is easily Paralyze II or III compared to the normal RDM spell. I wish the Stun effect from Shock Spikes went off half as often.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Seconded, I was always a Shock Spikes user until I tried Ice Spikes with the AF2. Seriously the proc rate is pretty phenomenol (yeah sp)

<3 when I'm soloing waters and a Thundaga3 with magic shield up gets "paralyzed" and so do the 3 attacks after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    I used to use Shock Spikes all the time, but after using Ice Spikes while tanking for a few NPC leveling sessions I am a firm believe in their power. The Paralyze effect from Ice Spikes is easily Paralyze II or III compared to the normal RDM spell. I wish the Stun effect from Shock Spikes went off half as often.
    If you try them out you'll find it's the same 20% proc rate as Paralyze and Jubaku. Go to Ronfaure and agro one of the low level mobs and let it hit your spikes once (the really low level mobs attack at 1/2 speed so don't get something right outside the gate.)

I think, like slow, paralyze will proc more or less depending on your mnd stat and the mob's, but, like hojo, jubaku is probably a flat proc rate and isn't influenced by stats, which is why it seems to go off more. This may be the same reason you think spikes goes off more, because maybe it's a flat proc rate and doesn't depend on your MND stat.

BTW, threnody seems to really boost paralyze going off as well.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

The Paralyze from an Ice Spikes cast with Duelists Pants on is rediculous. It's the only thing I am willing to admit is at least on par with Jubaku (not to mention the proc rate is damn near 100%).

I didn't know about MAB making a difference to spike damage though.

Quote Originally Posted by Russta
    The Paralyze from an Ice Spikes cast with Duelists Pants on is rediculous. It's the only thing I am willing to admit is at least on par with Jubaku (not to mention the proc rate is damn near 100%).
    Jubaku = Paralyze = 20%. The only paralyze that is higher than that is from mobs. Hipogryphs and wyverns come to mind. The only thing the pants do is increase damage, it does nothing to the % paralyze or proc.

Quote Originally Posted by FFXIFlux
    Hipogryphs and wyverns come to mind.
    Hecteyes Hex Eye is far superior in effect, however wyverns have more effect since its aga

Quote Originally Posted by Drinhkinn
    Hipogryphs and wyverns come to mind.
    Hecteyes Hex Eye is far superior in effect, however wyverns have more effect since its aga
    When I get Dread Shrieked in RiverneB01 or Gustav it's pretty much 100% paralyze. If I get 1 action off out of the next 12 I count myself very lucky. Luckier still if my paralyze goes off more than twice in the same time and my utsusemi somehow stays up until paralyze wears. I never really noticed Hex Eye to be all that crippling.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Hex eye by far is worse than a wyvern or hypo paralyze.

Wyvern paralyze , im able to at least cast paralnya every few cast attempts, Hex eye is murder.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    If you try them out you'll find it's the same 20% proc rate as Paralyze and Jubaku. Go to Ronfaure and agro one of the low level mobs and let it hit your spikes once (the really low level mobs attack at 1/2 speed so don't get something right outside the gate.)

I think, like slow, paralyze will proc more or less depending on your mnd stat and the mob's, but, like hojo, jubaku is probably a flat proc rate and isn't influenced by stats, which is why it seems to go off more. This may be the same reason you think spikes goes off more, because maybe it's a flat proc rate and doesn't depend on your MND stat.

BTW, threnody seems to really boost paralyze going off as well.
    Paralyze procs on the difference between your MND vs mob MND, it is not set in any way.

Jubaku is a set amount, like all ninja debuffs (easily tested with Hojo).

Hojo:Ni is USUALLY better than Slow spell but not always. Slow casted with capped MND difference over the mob is actually a higher percentage of Slow, however that is impossible to do on a IT so people view Hojo:Ni > Slow.

Where does that leave us? Ice Spikes is like a combination of the two. It's a set amount of paralyze proc, and I think it's fair to call it a Jubaku:Ni or Paralyze 2 proc rate. With AF2 it is really devastating, and the paralyze part of it is not variable...just the damage which is very minor anyways.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Glick Wick
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Actually didn't Sage Sundi say that Paralyze has a set proc rate also?

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Sage Sundi sez: I say a lot of shit

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster