+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alternate Tiers?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Champion of the House of Weave
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Alternate Tiers?

Before I go on, I'll state that I'm completely familiar with the tiers (0/1/2/3). Main question bolded at bottom in case you want to skip the backstory.

Anyways, I had read somewhere that Imperial Egg was supposed to have an alternate HQ rate that didn't follow the normal tier that this synth would be (Tier 0). Assuming what I read was true, is it possible it might apply to other synths as well?

The reason why I'm asking is because while leveling Rng recently I was making my own Bone Arrows and I'm tier 0 on the synth (Level 9 synth, I'm level 14 Woodworking) and yet I got HQ3 results on 2 of the synths.

So due to that, I'm curious if Arrows have a higher HQ rate or if I just had horrible luck and wasted 2 tier 0 HQs on a crap synth.

Thanks.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Re: Alternate Tiers?

Well, I made a TON of arrows and several different types of arrows when levelling Woodworking to 60 and I sure didn't have any abnormal HQ rates.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

That's what I was afraid of. Why couldn't it have been Dusk Gloves?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

you act like you get a limited # of tier 0's on a char

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Nah, just disappointed that I had 2 T0 HQs on such a worthless synth.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

If it makes you feel better I HQ'd 4/12 Dragon masks when I was skilling up on them.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

while on the topic I've always wondered if T0 is closer to 2% or 1% HQ rate - while it doesn't seem like a big difference really, it makes a pretty large one for estimating runs.

It feels to be about 1/64, slightly over 1.5%

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    (of course it's in 2-base math, I didn't it through that far) ok, thanks for the fast response!

Quote Originally Posted by Amele
    (of course it's in 2-base math, I didn't it through that far) ok, thanks for the fast response!
    Just curious, why would it necessarily be 1/(power of 2). Like as opposed to 1.5% exactly. Not disagreeing with you or anything, just wonderin'.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    Just curious, why would it necessarily be 1/(power of 2). Like as opposed to 1.5% exactly. Not disagreeing with you or anything, just wonderin'.

Since both of them can only be estimated, both 1/x and % become valid IMO.

1/x kinda comes from experience of how many synths it may take, mathematically, to HQ. Everything's luck anyway.

Honestly, and without any proof, I think that all HQ's basically go like this: FF has the random number generator that goes from 0 to 999. When you craft you get a hidden random for the synth. Depending on your skill, for example, for tier 0, only random numbers 985-999 may get you HQ (guesstimation), and, say, 0-50 gets you a fail of some kind. That would explain the randomness to it and the fact that some people go close to 0/200 and some go 1/30 for the same tier 0. Then, moon and crafting day (and whatever), may slightly slide those numbers a bit up or down (if at all, since it's all luck anyway).

Not sure if it makes any sense to other people, but it's 5:20 am and I'm a bit groggy.

Math on computers is naturally in base 2.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

this is why I said what I did. there's a system for expressing fractions in computers that would allow SE to use exact percentages (this is typically single and double precision floating point [floats] but there's a few other systems too) but they take more processor time to do math, so most games use integer math which is in base 2.

this is why I said what I did. there's a system for expressing fractions in computers that would allow SE to use exact percentages (this is typically single and double precision floating point [floats] but there's a few other systems too) but they take more processor time to do math, so most games use integer math which is in base 2.
    Ahh ok I see what you mean. I was just confused because you can represent numbers in binary that aren't necessarily powers of 2. Like I was curious as to why it couldn't be 1/65 or something.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    Ahh ok I see what you mean. I was just confused because you can represent numbers in binary that aren't necessarily powers of 2. Like I was curious as to why it couldn't be 1/65 or something.
    1/65 is less convenient from a coding standpoint (1/64 is equivalent to 4/256; 256 for a 2-byte integer) since this is a 'nice' number in binary (0100) and also a convenient value for shifting purposes. (multiplying and dividing by powers of two can be done by right or left shifting the initial value.)