+ Reply to Thread
    They call me Lord Null for a reason.
    BG Level

Connecting Computer to T.V

I admit, I have not done to much browsing online but I just spent a frantic day going store to store in my area trying to find something compatible.

Here's the story, I bought my mother a plasma T.V recently and a graphics card so she could connect her computer to her T.V. Recently came to discover she had a slimeline computer which the card is not compatible with. I raced out to the nearest stores to find a new HD card, only to fall short. No place seemed to carry them but the guy at Best Buy told me to just purchase a SVGA connector. I did so, only to come back home and realize the fucking T.V doesn't have the output.

Now I'm rather pissed because seemingly the only option I now have is to order online but there is no way I'd get anything before Christmas.

Enough with the ramblings though, do you guys know any site that would find some decent slimeline cards? Or even possibly another way to connect the two, like a converter box?

Her birthday is on January 12th so if I have to order online I might as well give her this as a birthday present.

Edit: More information, the T.V sucks seems to lack both SVGA, DVI, and S-video. My four year old T.V has all those things in over abundance.

DVI(PC) to HDMI(TV) cable not an option? It's what I use for connecting my HDTVs to my PCs.

BG Level

The T.V just has two HDMI slots and normal composite cables. The computer atm has nothing, because apparently no store around me likes to sell anything to upgrade the slimlines. Not sure where is best to look for cards for slimlines or was just praying for a miracle ghetto way of rigging them up with a converter box or something.

Stupidly already purchased an extra HDMI cord for it as well.

My vid card just has 2 dvi outs. I use a dvi to hdmi adapter that came with my vid card to output to my projector. It works great.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Go out to a store and find something like the above.

You just connect the adapter to DVI slot on GPU and connect to TV with HDMI.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

DVI to HDMI converter is the norm
    unless the comp only has VGA out... in which case I do not know.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

So.. the TV only has HDMI? Or does it have component too?
    I assume it has RCA as well.

If the video card has DVI, use a DVI/HDMI cable or connector.
    If the video card has SVid use a SVid/RCA cable or connector.
    If the video card only has VGA use a VGA/Component(RCA if no Component) cable or connector.

All can be found on http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

BG Level

Unfortunately I can not use any of the above (just went back out and everybody kept showing it to me). Computer doesn't have DVI and nobody had any individual item to convert to DVI either. (closest computer store to me is Best Buy and that was a 30 minute drive. Then ABC is a 40.) Nobody had VGA either, believe me today was very frustrating.

I just went out to a few different stores, spent $150 for something I could've just spent $69 on if she just had a normal computer. Won't be able to find out if it truly works or not until Christmas.

Thanks for the advice though, sorry the situation was so aggravating. I will never recommend a slimline to anybody.

What do you mean by slimline? Is that in reference to one of those micro motherboard cases where its rather thin and requires the small PCI slots rather than normal? If that's the case, then you might have been able to find a server plug for mounting it parallel to the motherboard/case rather than normal mount.

Of course if that isn't your reference point you could always get a PCI expansion case. They're also mainly used for server/rackmount application but basically it comes with a PCI card you hook into the computer, and run a cord to another case that can support several normal PCI cards and sometimes even extra harddrive units. Intended for use with like a 1U server that can't support the cards in the above example even with the extender boards or where you just don't have enough slots in the computer for the number of boards you need, but they work standalone well enough too.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Any of these work?

You really can't convert to DVI either, since VGA converts to DVI-A, or the analog side of DVI-I, which won't convert to HDMI anyway.
    Plasmas often don't have a VGA connector, where LCDs tend to. Pros n' cons I guess.

BG Level

Wow, kick ass! Many thanks I think that second one is just what I need.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Those are only filtered by low profile (some have alternate brackets I guess), and are a mix of interfaces, in case you didn't notice. Wouldn't want to buy an AGP if she has PCIe, etc.

(I mention this because I didn't notice when I first posted it...)