BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Oro Oro
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Unsolved Mysteries?

Although we all know that the FFXI devs like leaving certain things open-ended (read: that don't do anything or lead anywhere) so that they have room to expand later, there are a few things that haven't been documented yet. Past examples are the Memory Fluxes in the Lv30 Promyvion zones (now used in the pre-quest for Apoc Nigh) and the Strange Apparatuses.

What are the current unsolved mysteries in Vana'Diel? Name any items that are obtainable but have no known use, any targets that aren't used in any quest/mission/nm pop, or any mobs in the dats that we don't currently know how to pop.

I'll start:

- Doll Gizmo: Stealable from the Manipulator that patrols the room in Temple of Uggalepih behind the Temple Guardian. There are some JP's on my server that buy this regularly for 10-100k, which makes me think that the NA community is just in the dark on this one.

- Goblin Wolfman: NM in the .dat's in Oldton Movalpolos. Some people have reported that a few JP's have fought it, but we still don't know how to pop it. See this thread for older discussion about it. Maybe it's poppable with a Goblin Drink, which is in the .dat's but which no one knows how to synth/obtain.

- Ebon Panels: The ones in Hu'Xzoi don't have any known purpose. The ones in Ru'Hmet are used for CoP8-3, obviously. I think it's likely that they really don't have a purpose (yet), though.

- Luck Runes: They're scattered throughout Vana'Diel. There was a thread on KI listing locations but KI is lagged to hell and I can't load it atm. Edit: they're for some kind of fortune-telling mini-quest from Emila in Mhaura.

- Cardian Cards: Aside from the ones used in quests, do they have any use? somepage list

- Nidhogg's Scales: Apparently the supposed recipe for Dragon Mail +1 doesn't work.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

edit: whoops the shield dropped from it is for holy shield.

Gizmo is a craft item for something though. forget what exactly.

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

- Doll Gizmo: Stealable from the Manipulator that patrols the room in Temple of Uggalepih behind the Temple Guardian. There are some JP's on my server that buy this regularly for 10-100k, which makes me think that the NA community is just in the dark on this one.
    Pretty sure it's used to craft some random item that nobody cares about anymore?

- Luck Runes: They're scattered throughout Vana'Diel. There was a thread on KI listing locations but KI is lagged to hell and I can't load it atm.
    Not really sure what you're talking about, might've been for an event though.

Anyways, green portals in sky are still unused and there are a shitload of blocked off paths in areas like Kazham, Norg, Tavnazian Safehold, etc. that might just be placeholders for future content. It's really not worth trying to speculate on blocked content / "mysteries" anymore unless they're actually in the game since SE doesn't really announce their plans for this stuff until they put it in.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Oro Oro
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by nsx
    Doll Gizmo is an ingredient for making Holy Shield or w/e its called. Old.
    You're thinking of the Mana Barrel, not the Doll Gizmo: http://ffxi.somepage.com/itemdb/1650

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

luck runes are for mhaura fortune teller npc quest... it's a complicated quest for meager rewards imo

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Oro Oro
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Quicklet
    Anyways, green portals in sky are still unused and there are a shitload of blocked off paths in areas like Kazham, Norg, Tavnazian Safehold, etc. that might just be placeholders for future content. It's really not worth trying to speculate on blocked content / "mysteries" anymore unless they're actually in the game since SE doesn't really announce their plans for this stuff until they put it in.
    That's true. I guess my intention is to see if anyone has any insight on things that might actually be accessible, but that we just don't know how to use right now.

Hmm, I'm trying to find the luck runes thread as we speak... Off the top of my head, I know there's one that's on the way to the Safehold from the Valkurm entrance of Lufaise... It's in the first or second narrow pass that you go through.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb
    it's a complicated quest for meager rewards imo
    Like most every other quest in this game?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

There is a Luck Rune outside Behemoth's Dominion

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Oro Oro
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb
    luck runes are for mhaura fortune teller npc quest... it's a complicated quest for meager rewards imo
    Do you have any information about this quest? I haven't seen it documented anywhere else.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

talk to the NPC, she will give you a direction/element you most head in and she will also tell you that a person with a specified title must accomany you to the spot.

Nidhogg's Scales

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Oro Oro
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls
    talk to the NPC, she will give you a direction/element you most head in and she will also tell you that a person with a specified title must accomany you to the spot.
    Hmm, I can't find it in the somepage quest db. Who's the starting NPC and what's the name of the quest?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattaru
    Nidhogg's Scales
    Dragon Mail +1

That recipie is fake

adaman scales =.= and yes i have some, made when i gave a jp smither the wrong crystal to make an adaman sheet ><

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Mattaru
    Nidhogg's Scales
    Dragon Mail +1
    lol, 2nd time posted on this website today

IT DOESNT WORK LAWLZ

Quote Originally Posted by Ichthyos
    Quote Originally Posted by 6souls
    Hmm, I can't find it in the somepage quest db. Who's the starting NPC and what's the name of the quest?
    It isn't a quest, it doesn't show up in your quest log.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Oro Oro
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Raineer
    IT DOESNT WORK LAWLZ
    Ah I really didn't know, lol sorry.

Bonecraft Lv 0, Smithing Lv 1 ftw.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/update...01B1/Emila.jpg

Added in the July, 2005 Update.

An NPC that tells the player’s fortune regarding titles and other “elements” has been added in Mhaura.

what are some of the items you get from the luck rune quest, someone mentioned they were useless, but what are they.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Oro Oro
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Updated first post with info from you guys.