FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Video editing and more

I decided to start doing a Youtube channel of game play and yesterday was quite the adventure of stumbling thru trying to edit a video for the first time. Tried Handbrake to compress but didn't get anywhere with that since OBS was already recording at a high quality for the size. Using Windows Photos to do small edits because it's easy. Tried using Shotcut but found it to be a pain in the ass, or my patience was gone by that time. Gotta learn how to add a voice track to a recorded video.

Does anyone have a go to tutorial they used or like? Or would anyone care to share how they learned and what they use to edit videos, add voice tracks, make banners for a YT channel, etc etc?

Explanation of channel and link to first video here.

2600klub
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

For some reason the link I'm trying to paste it getting blocked.... just google Da Vinci Resolve - it's free editing software that's slowly replacing premiere ( lots of entrenched users who don't want to learn a new product ).
    It's very powerful and can do almost anything you can think of.

Pro tip - export your videos at 1440p or 2160p - if you're not a big channel and upload 1080p youtube will encode in H264 to save money on processing, if you upload in a higher resolution it'll use a better codec ( 265/vp9 ) with a better bitrate and your videos will look much better.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

imma check out that software gryffes, i use shotcut for some stupid little videos I make but it seems pretty limited, and shit is buggy, constantly just closing out on me ( but to add audio you just right click bottom and "add audio track" then open media and drag it down there, i dont think you can direct record into shotcut)

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Yes thanks Gryffes I'll check it out when I get home later. Shotcut was pissing me off because it would play the video with my cuts made but after i saved it and then opened it in VLC nothing had changed. And those saves take quite awhile!

Using Photos to edit is easy but something I found weird was after about two minutes were cut from a 962mb mp4 it saved (still as mp4) and was 1.28gb in size. File space isn't an issue. I just don't want things to take forever uploading and saving when the file doesn't need to be so large.

I'll also toy with uploading at 1440P later once I have another video recorded. Thanks for the tip. I'm happy with the way the video turned out, but others may not see that same quality. depending on their hardware I could see.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I actually mentioned Da Vinci Resolve in the freeware list; I do try to add such things. Haven't tried it yet but I may go ahead and install myself!

Old Merits
    BG Level

Not freeware, but for video editing, I've been using Movavi since last December. Only other program I'd used for video editing before that was Windows Live Movie Maker, I then tried the new one included with Windows 10, but that one really didn't seem to work well.

Movavi also has a trial version available, can give all sorts of stuff a try there such as embedding pictures or other videos, adding an overlaying voice track or just record one within the program etc. Had to try a few settings, but overall, the videos look quite nice once uploaded to Youtube.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

got davinci resolve and tried it out, so, so, so much better than shotcut thanks for heads up

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Loaded Da Vinci last night after recording an eight minute video. I'm finding I always have to clip the first 3 seconds of OBS recording because I want the video to start when the game starts, not when I'm still on my desktop hitting record on OBS. Even with trying to use hot keys it didn't work. Anyhow, clipped the beginning of the video and exported. Was much easier and maybe this is placebo but it felt like saving the export was faster than Shotcut. +1 for Da Vinci.