1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 3 hours, 37 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 20 hours, 22 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 20 hours, 37 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 13 hours, 22 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Famitsu: Ramuh Media Battle Preview (7/7/14)

SPOILER ALERT - Ramuh info is below, gtfo if you don't want to know anything yet.

Translation of a Famitsu article previewing the Ramuh (story/hard) battle is below.
    http://famitsu.com/news/201407/07056665.html

------

Ahead of the July 8 public release of Defenders of Eorzea patch 2.3, Square Enix held a play experience meeting for media professionals. The hard version of the next primal battle with Ramuh was shown off. The staff of Famitsu weekly and Famitsu Connect!On got a chance to play it. Let's take a moment to look at some of the patterns of the battle.

Hi everyone! I'm Mainai, and I'm in charge of writing about a Realm Reborn in Famitsu Connect!On. On behalf of the the eight people on the staff who participated in the play experience meet, I want to talk a bit about the hard Ramuh primal battle, while trying to avoid spoilers.

The eight jobs that participated were Paladin, Warrior, Monk, Bard, Dragoon, White Mage, Black Mage, and Scholar. Everyone was fully equipped with High Allagan armor. Although we were unfamiliar with the battle, we were told that it would be an easy victory with this equipment, and I participated on Paladin. From a tank's point of view, I'll report on the elements of this new primal battle.

A Fenceless Circular Battlefield

First off, from earlier descriptions and screenshots that have been published, you probably know by now that the battlefield for the Ramuh primal battle is circular. The size of the field is a bit larger than that of the last phase of the hard Titan battle. That said, it didn't feel noticeably cramped. Also, since there is a cliff all around, it seemed like there could be gimmicks with falling off, but there was nothing that caused a ring-out that we could confirm.

One unique characteristic was the middle part of the field. The central portion of the area has a circular portion which is raised slightly where grass grows. There is nothing on the outside perimeter; the ground was reddish and bare. After we were done, it came to me that this looked very different from what we saw in the 15th producer letter LIVE so I went back and checked some of the previously published information. In that preview, the outer portion of the area was covered with water. Perhaps one of the differences is that the outer portion of the area is covered with water in the extreme version...?

Major differences from other primals right from the start

After we finished viewing the battlefield, we finally started our attack on Ramuh. As a Paladin, I tried starting the fight in a similar routine to the hard Titan primal battle. However, we noticed right away that you can't proceed with this fight in the same way as Titan. You'll notice this the first time you actually play the battle and you might find it surprisingly challenging.

I can say this with certainty from a tank perspective, of course, but the healers and DPS also have to be pretty aware of their standing positions throughout the fight. Before a certain battle gimmick that appears later on, it's necessary to determine positions where each member will fight from.

By the way, when the battle with Ramuh starts, a number of small lightning particles will appear across the field. It seemed that there were no adverse effects to touching them from the start, but we tried to figure out what they were for through trial and error. Well... we found the application of these by chance during the battle. For everyone who's played A Realm Reborn up until now, you should be able to derive the meaning from a slight clue after trying a few times.

Remove the movement restriction debuff by...

Like the other primals, Ramuh will continually use several kinds of special techniques. One particularly tough one is a skill that binds you for a long time if you get hit directly. There is a certain way to release this effect, but until you figure it out, it'll be difficult to clear the fight no matter how good your equipment is.

The second time we tried the fight we were able to figure out the solution, and everyone thought it was a really cool solution. Although I won't reveal the full details behind the gimmick, I can tell you that there's a definite risk of the party wiping if cooperation between the players is bad.

Dealing with Judgment Bolt

As you continue through the battle, Ramuh will eventually start preparing for Judgment Bolt while saying a few ominous things. Before this occurs, everyone has to cooperate to perform certain preparatory actions. Also, in this phase of the battle, a number of reinforcements appear to attack the team and you even have to deal with the aforementioned movement debuff at the same time, so the battlefield becomes chaotic and it's critical to keep a cool head. If anyone makes any big mistakes here, you'll inevitably wind up wiping to Judgment Bolt.

The difficulty is set so you can win after 2-3 tries without prior preparation.

After enduring Judgment Bolt, a new gimmick appears which creates new challenges. However, having gotten this far, we were able to figure it out the first time and won the battle on our second attempt. The Allagan tomestones received were at the same level as those from the hard Leviathan battle.

My personal impression is, after having lost once even with High Allagan equipment, that the battle is a bit more difficult than the Leviathan hard primal battle. However, the difficulty really isn't with the strength of the boss itself, but more with understanding the nature of the battle gimmicks. Even so, I feel like it should be pretty simple to figure out the gimmicks and clear the battle in a pretty short amount of time, like the Leviathan battle. It shouldn't cause any problems with interrupting the enjoyment of the scenes of the main storyline.

That's the end of my report. By the way, from a Paladin's perspective, I needed to pay attention not just to Ramuh, but also what was going on with the rest of my allies. Unlike most of the other hard primal battles, the role of a tank here isn't just to pay attention to the boss's motions. If you want to know more, please check it out for yourselves!

Game Watch article:

Tomorrow, July 8, is finally the implementation date for patch 2.3 of FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, "Defenders of Eorzea." At a media briefing held just prior to the patch's release, interviews with producer/director Naoki Yoshida and play experiences for the hard more Ramuh primal battle were held.

Ramuh, the God of Thunder, is a popular summon that has appeared in earlier FF games. In A Realm Reborn, Ramuh appears as the summoned god of the Sylphs, in his familiar form as a wise man with a long beard. In the trailers and cutscenes previously shown to the player, Ramuh has spoken with them, so it will be unique from the primals you have fought so far.

In this report I want to deliver some of the information about our experience playing through the main scenario version of the Ramuh primal battle. I don't want to give too much away so as to not interfere with the fun you'll have when you try it out yourself, but I'll tell you as much as I can to represent how awesome and beautiful the battle and atmosphere are.

The Sylphlands echo with beautiful voices and raging thunder

We were able to try the battle with a party of Paladin, Warrior, Dragoon, Monk, Bard, Black Mage, Scholar, and White Mage. To make the fight go faster for the media team, we were equipped with the strongest available equipment, High Allagan, but since this is an enemy that you fight along the main scenario, you can fight it easily without bolstering your equipment this much, so rest assured that the fight shouldn't be too difficult.

The battlefield is located somewhere in the Sylphlands. A purple fog seems to drift across the field, and the location of the arena is worrisome. The arena is a circular battlefield surrounded by steep cliffs, similar to the Titan battle. Sorry to disappoint fall fans, but there is no gimmick which makes you fall off this time.

The first part of the battle has the Thunder God Ramuh BGM which was previously heard in the trailers and includes an exotic female vocal melody. The melody is reminiscent of a religious or animistic song, and it adds to an uncanny sense of immersion with the atmosphere, the battlefield, and the battle effects.

Rather than being shown with the typical red areas of effect, Ramuh's attacks are shown by blue waves. The effects shine brightly on the nighttime stage, with effects like small circular puddles and other shiny effects that lend themselves more to a relaxing atmosphere than a fierce battle.

Up until now, the battlefields for primal battles have been comparitively active compared to Ramuh's, which is calmer. Rather than feeling like a desperate fight, I felt like I was able to take a moment and actually enjoy the battle.

The battle is divided into several phases, including Judgment Bolt

For the combat itself, there are many methods of attack. As usual with these kinds of battles, there are also battle gimmicks to learn. I'm not sure how much I should say because the media was told not to expose any of the tricks, but some of his attacks do hit quite hard; we had the bard and monk die, and I also died once.

Like the other primals, Ramuh's attacks are divided into several phases, with one of them being, of course, "Judgment Bolt." Additionally, enemies referred to as "Gray Arbiters" pop several times. I'm not sure of the identity of these enemies even when viewed up close, but they are pretty deeply involved with the gimmicks of the battle.

Additionally, sometimes Ramuh will target one person and will put them into a state of Terror so that they can't perform any operations. The effect duration of this is very long. Of course, there is a way to remove it, so look into this while you play through the battle.

Some of his attacks happen in fairly quick succession so you will have to rotate around to avoid them. We didn't really receive a description of the gimmicks, so I'm not really sure what happens with certain debuffs if they are not removed. Rather than dealing damage, my impression was that it would put the player at the mercy of Ramuh like some of the enemies in the Moggle Mogg XII battle.

Once we got the first wipe out of the way, we were able to push through the second time. The hard Ramuh battle seems to be about the same easy-to-defeat difficulty as the Leviathan story battle.

I've mentioned this a few times already, but I really liked the beautiful and majestic atmosphere of the arena. In order to hear the waterspouts in Leviathan I had to turn the BGM down, but I hope to enjoy plenty of combat at full blast this time. I'm looking forward to meeting the wise man in the story tomorrow after the patch.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Edited with the full article. Sounds like the battlefield itself will be different with a ring of water in the extreme version... and I'm guessing lightning and water don't mix.

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

seems interesting i guess

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Did a good job being vague about almost everything :D

I had an idea a while back when I saw the pics from the letters. The idea was that ramuh would give people positive and negative charges and people would get blown up if they get close together with similar charges on.

I think the bind gimmick is related to electrical charges. Being bound with a positively charged bind spell requires a person with a negative charge to unbind you.

Edit: Thanks Slycer!

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kharlan Lynare
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Kirin Tor

Thaddius was a pretty fun fight

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by Slycer View Post
    while saying a few spooky things
    wow 2 spooky 4 me
    not gonna clear this fite easily scared

Quote Originally Posted by solracht View Post
    Thaddius was a pretty fun fight
    Damn it! And I thought I had an original idea. Never played WoW but that fight seems fun.

Double p

BG's most likeable Québécois
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Evane View Post
    I had an idea a while back when I saw the pics from the letters. The idea was that ramuh would give people positive and negative charges and people would get blown up if they get close together with similar charges on.

I think the bind gimmick is related to electrical charges. Being bound with a positively charged bind spell requires a person with a negative charge to unbind you.

Edit: Thanks Slycer!

They won't do that OF would riot

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    wow 2 spooky 4 me
    not gonna clear this fite easily scared
    Ramuh adds had stitches probably

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Maybe spooky was a bad choice of words, lol. Eerie... ominous... something like that. Probably ominous.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Checking other sources to see if any other media outlets gave more info than Famitsu.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

the word spooky just makes me laugh okay

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl View Post
    the word spooky just makes me laugh okay
    Actually I think they did mean spooky, they had this screenshot in the article that I just saw:

Spoiler: show

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

rofl. uso da you scamp

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

WOW WTF I NEED A NSFL TAG ON THAT PIC THAT'S FUCKING HORRIFYING

Old Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Seravi Edalborez
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Beard clipping through hood. 0/10 dev team.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Slycer Ilerion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Added Game Watch translation, not much different info from the other one aside from the fact that it sounds like some interviews were done along side this event (and not published yet).

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

i'm looking forward to hearing soken's modulated growling of "ramuh ramuh ramuh" in the combat music

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast