+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Job Interview advice/tips     submit to reddit submit to twitter

King of the Jews
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Job Interview advice/tips

Hey BG! I was just called today by my school's IT help desk, and they would like to interview me for a position there. This is really important to me because A) It'll be my first job ever and B) Because I really need the job/money so I can support myself through school. I was just wondering if anyone here could give me some tips/advice for interviews in general.

As far as the job specs go, I would be mostly running errands/cleaning pc/macs/very minor tech support. I know the names of the two people who will be interviewing me, and fortunately for me she was a teacher who taught a section of a class called FYE(Freshmen Year Experience) and was friends with my professor(whom I have listed as a reference). I have a good resume, open availability, all I need now is tips for interviews! Thanks you for any help you can provide :D

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

No offense, but you can have 0 tech experience and still get a school IT job.

Best advice is say yes to everything, and bow down to their wishes, youll get it np.

Can you work late nights? Yes.
    Can you be on call 24/7 and get no extra pay what so ever? Yes.
    Can you look at girls directly? Yes.
    Can you reboot a PC? Yes.
    Can yu get my food when I ask? Yes.
    Can you show up on time? Yes.
    Can you answer a phone? Yes.
    Can you record me naked as I molest a doll? Yes.

King of the Jews
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by SephYuyX View Post
    No offense, but you can have 0 tech experience and still get a school IT job.

Best advice is say yes to everything, and bow down to their wishes, youll get it np.
    No offense taken, lol I understand that. All i'm asking for is interview tips/things to do or not do when I go in as I have never had an interview like this before(I'm obviously going to ask more than just BG, but I figure why not just get as much advice as possible?)

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Wear a suit (DO IT), be confident, eye contact, good body language, bring notepad/pen, etc.

King of the Jews
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Wear a suit (DO IT), be confident, eye contact, good body language, bring notepad/pen, etc.
    Some people in my fraternity said business-casual, i.e a polo shirt, should I just say fuck that and wear a dress shirt/tie?

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Suit (jacket and all) to an interview is never a question, it is mandatory, no matter what the job is.

King of the Jews
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Suit (jacket and all) to an interview is never a question, it is mandatory, no matter what the job is.
    I see, looks like I have to get a suit jacket as I don't have one.
    Edit: Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it.

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

First, congrats on getting the interview in the first place - getting in the door of any place you wish to work is a HUGE step, trust me.

Secondly, try to relax while you're there, speak naturally (obviously not too much slang or any swearing, but you get the idea). Some interviewers will ask really hard questions, and others will want you to answer the "Tell me about yourself" prompt. Be prepared for either, but don't sweat it too much. Smiling helps, a firm handshake is a must, and make sure to thank the person you're meeting with for taking the time out to speak with you (this works best at the end of the interview).

Good luck!

CHELLLLLLLLLLLLL
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Garnet Cat
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

They contacted you? That is a good sign. Ask them what about your background/resume/whatever interested them, and then take that conversation as far as it will go.

Banned.

BG Level

Clean yourself up (meaning a shave/trim, fix your hair, take a bath ) and if you're too poor and social pariah to get someone to get you a suit / jacket / decent clothes at the very least get your clothes ironed out before showing up.

Hippie looks = no bueno, leave the hippie look for after you have the job.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Wear a suit. A common question in any line of work is 'what is your biggest weakness?' Don't answer it directly with something like 'i am impatient', turn it in to a positive like 'i dont like waiting around a lot so i often plan ahead to avoid that in my tasks'. And don't be monosyllabic.

King of the Jews
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Tajin View Post
    Clean yourself up (meaning a shave/trim, fix your hair, take a bath ) and if you're too poor and social pariah to get someone to get you a suit / jacket / decent clothes at the very least get your clothes ironed out before showing up.

Hippie looks = no bueno, leave the hippie look for after you have the job.
    I have money saved, so going out to get a nice suit jacket/shirt isn't a problem.

Edit: monosyllabic meaning don't respond with single word answers like yes or no right?

Banned.

BG Level

It doesnt have to be nice, it justs needs to look formal. No one expects you to show up dressed in CK / Boss / versace / whatever miss piggy wears. Don't blow your money on expensive clothes for an entry level hell-desk job.

King of the Jews
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Tajin View Post
    It doesnt have to be nice, it justs needs to look formal. No one expects you to show up dressed in CK / Boss / versace / whatever miss piggy wears. Don't blow your money on expensive clothes for an entry level hell-desk job.
    I planned on just getting a nice(not expensive) suit jacket(I don't have one so I should get one anyways)

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Aurara View Post
    Edit: monosyllabic meaning don't respond with single word answers like yes or no right?
    Correct. (monosyllabic reply, the ironing)

Also good luck.

King of the Jews
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulum View Post
    Correct. (monosyllabic reply, the ironing)

Also good luck.
    Thanks :D I'm pretty sure I'll get a job there, but since this is the first callback I have gotten since summer started, I don't want to fuck it up.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

also since it wasnt mentioned , fucking SMILE, and make / keep eye contact , listen to everything they say and try act like you generally care. if a suit jacket is to much $$$ or your in texas like me and it hot as balls a vest works well with the dress shirt / tie * a dress vest*. another thing i do and it helps me out , is get off 30mins ish before you get all dressed up and shit to go , calms my fucking nerves makes me seem like a really laid back and enjoyable coworker etc.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I know some people like to ask a question, and then try to make you second guess yourself. Whatever your first answer is to a question, stick to it.

King of the Jews
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    I know some people like to ask a question, and then try to make you second guess yourself. Whatever your first answer is to a question, stick to it.
    Is there a reason people do this in interviews? It seems really messed up.