+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Remote Access help     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Remote Access help

So, I'm trying to set up my home computer so that, via the internet, it can be logged onto remotely from my work computer.

First, I registered a domain, and have the A name address pointing to the router.

Second, on the router, I have the Remote Desktop port forwarded to the computer of choice.

The IP addresses are not changing.

From a computer inside the network, entering in the correct subdomain and domain name allows me to use Remote Desktop to access the computer.

However, from work, not only does it not connect using Remote Desktop, but I also can't log into the router using Firefox and the correct sub domain/domain combination.

I had my dad do it from his house, and he couldn't log onto the router either.

Seems like the problem is with the router.

What am I doing wrong?

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

For obvious security reasons, unless you enable remote login on the router, you won't be able to log into it. See if you can enable remote management somewhere.

A much, much easier option is to just use LogMeIn. It's free, integrates right into Firefox, and doesn't require you to mess with router settings or port forwarding.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Yeh use LogMeIn ... period. The way you gone around it is way too tricky/fiddly.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Most routers only allow IPs from the local IP ranges that they serve (192.168.0/1.*) unless specifically told that WAN IPs can access the setup pages also.

I'm not sure what router/firmware you're using, but on DD-WRT there is an option to enable Remote Management, under the administration section. You must enable this to be able to connect from the internet.

Note that exposing your router to the internet isn't generally a good idea, since it leaves you wide open to various attempts at accessing it. Most router exploits abuse the fact that there is minimal security protecting web guis in most routers. A far better method of accessing your router remotely would be SSH, but this is obviously far more complicated as it means learning the ins and outs of the router's firmware using a CLI, instead of the user-friendly GUI.