BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

The Gardening Thread: Get the hoe.

So okay, me and 'neko started a garden this year. Peppers, tomatoes, and bush cucumbers (didn't want them going everywhere). I'm thinking about next year tho; what's a good grow setup for starting plants? (And I mean decent lights too that aren't expensive)

Anyway feel free to share!

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

It's 100% indoors? And you want to grow all that?

If so, and you're growing that much volume, find yourself a large full spectrum LED kit. They're square/rectangle thin boxes with multiple colored LEDs in sequence for light in all wavelengths needed for healthy growth. Any other type of bulb would be extremely expensive (and generate a lot of heat). It's expensive to go this route though, you either spend money up front on good energy efficient LEDs, or cheap bulbs that suck up electricity like its free.

For outdoor growing, just make sure the location gets direct sunlight for most of the day. Doesn't have to be 14hrs of non stop light (but for many plants that helps), but only indirect light all day will slowly kill plants or severely stunt growth. This is an edible garden it seems, so you'll likely not grow anything worth eating with indirect light only.

I've done cherry tomatoes, dill, basil, and marijuana indoors. With proper lights (I used LED + natural light), everything grew fine but I wouldn't call it rigorous growth; the light I was using was too weak.

I've raised larger tomatoes, avocados, pineapples, strawberries, papaya, half a dozen different types of peppers, green onions, and countless mints and orchids outdoors. It's kinda hard to fuck it up outdoors assuming you're keeping water levels appropriate and there's direct light for at least a few hours a day. I was even able to grow habanero peppers I grew on an apartment balcony that got less than 3hrs of direct light a day.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Salodin; Not really, we're going to transplant outside, I'm thinking start them inside though. We bought plants this year but thanks. Was thinking about doing a cheap shelf setup with some good lights for starting plants.

My mom also had two raised beds that I need to go dig out; She wanted strawberries (Which didn't work out; the ants and birds got them.). I'm thinking herbs that we can use in cooking and for medicinal. (No erm, mary jane tho here. It's illegal to grow marijuana in our state.)

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Ohhh much more manageable than lol. Your local garden shop likely sells small starter containers, usually in cheap plastic. It's not rocket science haha, just keep in mind you want to keep the soil moist and well drained cause seedlings are super susceptible to mold and (scarlet) rot. Any light will do for short term growth, even a small aerogarden-like light will do.

Your states climate dictates when you start the seedling and transplant outdoors, but being in Florida I don't usually worry about that much lol

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Salodin; we live a state over from you, Georgia. I'll make sure to do my research on when to start'em and I told Neko soon as we can clean out the playroom, we need to set up a cheap shelving unit for starting plants. ^^

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I did vegetable seeds last year and put them under a Spider Farmer SF1000 (which I use to grow some of my weed). All seeds popped/grew pretty well.

Pro-mix at Home Depot is great soil. Then just get a plastic seed starter with a top so it stays nice and humid. Let the roots grow a little bit and you're good to transplant.

This year I just bought Bonnie plants at Home depot and stuck them into the raised garden beds I built. Unfortunately it's been a bit cold lately, but they're holding up.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

I take it for granted cause I only ever get freezing frost down here a couple times a decade, but other states with yearly freezing temperatures do have to take that into consideration (like Georgia). Most of the plants that I keep for multiple years are a one year and done plant in most other states cause of the frost, unless you bring em indoors or otherwise keep em protected during the winter. Tomatoes and peppers can't survive freezing, so people just start over next grow season or bring em indoors.

I tend to do container gardening with seedlings I start in a grow tent.

Two years ago I had 24 varieties of peppers and around 34 plants. This year I'm down to four pepper varieties and doing some other veggies.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Ngl growing peppers got old real quick lmao. Nothing special about it 10lbs of whole peppers sitting there with another harvest days away and you're like "but I can't just throw these away!" as you're staring at your mason jars already filled with homemade hot sauce.

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

That's why I mean to not grow that many hot peppers ever; I like hot stuff (to a point; I'm not a serious chili head) but not THAT much lol.

Yeah, I made a ton of hot sauces, froze a bunch for stir fries.

Not growing anything crazy this year but I'm looking forward to the husk cherries the most.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Elizara View Post
    So okay, me and 'neko started a garden this year. Peppers, tomatoes, and bush cucumbers (didn't want them going everywhere). I'm thinking about next year tho; what's a good grow setup for starting plants? (And I mean decent lights too that aren't expensive)

Anyway feel free to share!
    When it comes to starting plants indoors, a good setup typically includes the following components:

Grow Lights: Adequate lighting is crucial for indoor plant growth. You can opt for fluorescent lights or LED grow lights. LED lights are more energy-efficient and provide a broader spectrum of light for plant growth. They are available in various price ranges, so you can find decent lights that aren't too expensive. Look for lights specifically designed for plant growth.

Shelving or Racks: You'll need a sturdy and adjustable shelving unit or rack to hold your plants and lights. This allows you to optimize space and adjust the height of the lights as the plants grow.

Seed Trays or Seedling Pots: Use seed trays or individual pots for starting your plants. Seed trays are ideal if you want to start many plants at once, while individual pots give each plant more space to grow. Ensure they have proper drainage to prevent waterlogging.

Potting Mix: Choose a good quality potting mix or seed starting mix for your plants. These mixes provide the necessary nutrients and drainage for healthy root development.

Heating Mat (Optional): If you're starting plants in a cool environment, a heating mat placed under the seed trays can help maintain optimal soil temperature and promote germination.

Ventilation: Proper air circulation is essential to prevent mold and fungal growth. Consider having a small fan in your grow area to circulate air gently.

Timer: Setting up a timer for your grow lights ensures consistent and appropriate lighting durations for your plants.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text