+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lawyer of Evil     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Old Merits
    BG Level

Lawyer of Evil

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairba...suit_harry.php

Lawyer Files Suit Against All Those Homeless People Near His Office

​Clients at the Beacon, a downtown day center for the homeless, received a strange visit during this afternoon's free lunch: attorney Andy Vickery, who held a press conference to announce that he and other lawyers will be representing both them and the Beacon.

Christ Church Cathedral, which runs the Beacon, was recently sued by a neighbor who alleges that the "derelicts" it assists have become a public nuisance, destroying the value of his business and property in the process. So the church has taken the unusual step of hiring a lawyer and public-relations firm to defend itself in and out of court.

"It's unique that a homeless organization would be sued. Especially during the season of giving and compassion," says the church's new PR man Jay Hickman.

Personal injury attorney Harry C. Arthur, who filed the suit, runs his practice and owns offices in the Marine Building across the street. He claims the 400 or so clients the Beacon attracts daily from Friday through Monday are scaring away tenants and clients.

"If this was Skid Row like in New York City, or Skid Row like in Los Angeles and you come down and feed these people, that's one thing. But this isn't where people normally stay and sleep. And the thing that attracts them is the church," Arthur tells Hair Balls.

According to Arthur and neighbor Deborah Keyser -- another lawyer who recently wrote a letter in support of the suit -- the Beacon's clients regularly sleep, litter, go to the bathroom and use drugs on and around their property, especially after the Beacon closes at night.

"No matter how good your intentions are, when you are affecting someone's peace -- that's what a nuisance is," Arthur says. "If all you do is feed them, you encourage them to stay on the street. And I'm afraid that may be kind of a little bit what's happening. They don't have any incentive to do anything."

Arthur says the problem has greatly increased over the past year as more and more people have arrived to access the Beacon's services. By summer, the Beacon was reporting a 20- to 30-percent increase in clients, which its director Tracy Burnett credited to the worsening economy. But Arthur believes the new clients are being bused in from elsewhere.

"I think they've always been homeless," he says. "I don't know that the economy has anything to do with it. ... I guess maybe a little."

The unemployment rate in Houston is now 8.6 percent, up from 5.3 percent at this time last year.

Anthony Love, director at the Coalition for the Homeless of Houston/Harris County, likens Arthur's actions -- which call for $250,000 and a court injunction to shut down the Beacon's services -- to "suing a hospital for having too many sick people" and says it could set a dangerous precedent for shutting down other homeless services in the city.

Says Vickery: "I guess the bottom line is that homelessness is a problem. It's a significant problem. But the Beacon didn't cause homelessness. And we're working like crazy to be part of the solution."
    That just sounds a little shitty if you ask me. He's seeking $250,000 in damages for lost tenants and deprciation, and an injunction to shut down the homeless shelter... From Insurace Salesman to Personal Injury Lawyer. This guy makes me rage...

Gunitsoldier

Sue homeless people, like a boss

holy shit that's so funny. I'd totally do it too though, having homeless ppl around their office probably degrades the image of their business

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

"If this was Skid Row like in New York City, or Skid Row like in Los Angeles and you come down and feed these people, that's one thing. But this isn't where people normally stay and sleep. And the thing that attracts them is the church," Arthur tells Hair Balls.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    ?
    I think you inadvertently found the solution to the problem in that quote.

They're attracted to churches so...if we get rid of all the churches then we get get rid of the homeless problem in America!? I think it's just crazy enough to try

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Quote Originally Posted by Pirian View Post
    I think you inadvertently found the solution to the problem in that quote.

They're attracted to churches so...if we get rid of all the churches then we get get rid of the homeless problem in America!? I think it's just crazy enough to try
    No. The way to get rid of homeless is get rid of spare change. Don't you ever watch television?

No. The way to get rid of homeless is to give them lots and lots of heroin.
    Fixed.

Gunitsoldier

No. The way to get rid of homeless is get rid of spare change. Don't you ever watch television?
    http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/G...uth-park19.jpg

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

What a fucking douche, hope he gets herpes for christmas. NO SOUP FOR YOU HOMELESS PEOPLE MWAHAHAHAHA HAHA!

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

This guy needs to be attorney general. Like now.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

A lawyer with no soul?

Up next after the break; a lying politician.

Quote Originally Posted by Mytiwar View Post

Does not compute.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

lol at acting like Houston is any better than NYC or LA

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Title of the article sounds like it could be an Onion headline... XD

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Mytiwar View Post
    A lawyer with no soul?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

I guess if you know you're going to hell, you might as well go balls-out.

aduidarnenye

I hate it when I'm standing at the bus stop after work and the same homeless dude comes up to me several times asking for change. I didn't have change the first time and I won't have it two minutes later. And on top of that, I barely have enough bloody change for my bus fare, why should I provide some random homeless dude with the little extra I have!? I hate that dude so much.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by aduidarnenye View Post
    I hate it when I'm standing at the bus stop after work and the same homeless dude comes up to me several times asking for change. I didn't have change the first time and I won't have it two minutes later. And on top of that, I barely have enough bloody change for my bus fare, why should I provide some random homeless dude with the little extra I have!? I hate that dude so much.
    Cool story bro.

Yes, providing food for the homeless is admirable but they can't loiter around. City needs to be under pressure to clean the streets or at least herd them away from businesses. Should just require all homeless people to enlist in the military. Problem solved.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Valisk View Post
    Cool story bro.

Yes, providing food for the homeless is admirable but they can't loiter around. City needs to be under pressure to clean the streets or at least herd them away from businesses. Should just require all homeless people to enlist in the military. Problem solved.
    land of the free eh?

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Stumblingdrunk View Post
    land of the free eh?
    Yup, we rape at will. Not having laws is so cool.