+ Reply to Thread

Teaching as a career in NYS.

I was wondering if anyone knows the logistics behind getting to become a teacher in NYS. I know a certificate is involved, but I can't for the life of me find a list of SUNY schools that offer it. I would think that most would offer it but they seem to name it differently. What is the difference between Teaching Assistant and just being a Teacher? I ask due to my friend wanting to teach Art in a high school setting. Any advice is welcome.

Don't know about high school, but I taught at MCC in Rochester a few years ago. Having a Master's, I just applied, got an interview, and managed to get picked out of the Adjunct pool.

So just in case the high school route is bullshit, try community college. You'll be fucking fat bitches in no time. You may even fight a nigga or two!

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

NYS has pretty much the highest standards in terms of education.

Regardless of early childhood/adolescent etc you need to take (and pass) 3 exams. One is LAST (language arts + sciences test) which is super easy. Another is the CST (content specialty test) which will cover the subject you want to teach. Childhood have a multi-subject test. Then theres the ATS-W which is just a bunch of hypothetical classroom stuff which is easy.

As for which schools teach it, a lot of schools in NY have a career change program. However I'm not sure of any schools offhand that certify art teachers. Most are just the common subjects (science, math, english, social studies, spanish).

If you want to more about specific stuff lemme know and I'll help you out.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    What is the difference between Teaching Assistant and just being a Teacher?
    As to this part. A teaching assistant is just was it says. You are there to assist the teacher in the classroom.

I can't speak for NY, but back in the day this usually meant kindergarten and special education. Because of funding, now it's almost strictly special education.

For that bit, usually you are working with 1-2 kids at a time, and can go as far as helping kids go to the bathroom.

It is hell of a lot easier than a teacher though because the actual special ed teacher is the one that tells you what to do, makes the lesson plans, and goes to the IP meetings.

Of course, with this you get a way less pay (out here it's about 10$ per hour, and usually only 4-5 hours per day), but you do get benefits.

Because of this, most states doesn't require you to have a teaching certificate to be a teaching assistant. I can't give specifics on the requirements for NY, but pretty sure you'll need at least a college degree, and a first aid certificate.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Teaching assistants here need to pass the ATAS (Assessment of Teaching Assistant Skills), a highschool deploma (or GED), and the two workshops for NYS.