+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Any tips or tricks for help with posture..?

Didn't see anything on search, feel free to lock if I skimmed past it.

I've had horrible posture for years, with only mild scoliosis, and I've tried lots of different tricks to try to teach myself to sit up straight - with no avail. I can only sit up straight for a little while and then my back starts to hurt. I'm wondering if there is a good workout that helps with it, or some tricks anyone has used that help you not forget to sit up straight.

I was always told that the best way to improve your posture was to tone your abdominal muscles. When they are in shape, they pull at your back and help make it easy to sit straighter.

The Anti Miz
    The Anti Miz of the House of Weave

BG Level

lyn your giant tits are weighing you down

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

This will sound weird, but every morning either right out of bed or in the shower (that's the weird part) I take time to do plenty of stretches for my lower back and legs, but that's really just for comfort throughout the day, but I feel like it helps me to be more aware of my posture for the sake of not spending that time in the morning for nothing.

Outside of that, I think the chair you use is important, especially if you're in a computer chair for long periods at a time, but as far as what would be ideal in that regard, I have no idea. All I know is my last chair was super fucking uncomfortable and I found myself leaning forward all the time instead of actually sitting down and even after 15 minutes that would cause pain.

Tagus

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    lol

also, yoga is amazing for stretching out the back, among other things. Build your own sequence depending on what feels good... or just get a dvd! It helped me out big time when i pinched a nerve in my back, which is seriously a god-awful experience.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by tyven View Post
    I wish.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Work out.

Yoga and shoulder/back exercise. Being a woman your back muscles are probably severely underdeveloped but they are sexy so go ahead and develop them.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

A pair of suspenders with something stuck in the back to straighten you up? idk... ;;

Death by snoo snoo
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syntax Error
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar

Man up

Aside from working out it's really mental I guess. I had really bad posture when I was younger and it still isn't great. But I worked on making sure that I keep my head up when walking and running and it helped alot to keep me conscious of my back's posture.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Stand next to a wall w/ your feet away like 2.5 cm (depends on your buttocks), place your hand, or rather, your fist (horizontal postilion like you're going to stab someone) right next to your lower back (where it curves), and the back of your head should be touching the wall. Stand in that position for a few minutes a day. It may hurt a bit because your muscles aren't used to that position. Keep doing the exercises and always remember the position.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Was going to make a fat Texan joke but Ill let you slide because you're good peeps.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

That and the fact that you're not fat since you aren't native.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Meteora View Post
    Stand next to a wall w/ your feet away like 2.5 cm (depends on your buttocks), place your hand, or rather, your fist (horizontal postilion like you're going to stab someone) right next to your lower back (where it curves), and the back of your head should be touching the wall. Stand in that position for a few minutes a day. It may hurt a bit because your muscles aren't used to that position. Keep doing the exercises and always remember the position.
    This.. is so painful.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Lyn I will rub your back.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

OK

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Just like other people said, work out your lower back and core muscles. It will help with the pain that you are feeling when you're sitting up straight. Any exercises you find doing a quick search on google or whatever will suffice. Just don't over do it!

TOO MUCH MAN
    BG Level

Injure your back. Happened to me and it hurt when I slouched so my posture improved.

Conejita's Jolly
    Chaparrita's Dulce
    Trigger warning: Fuck your feelings.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lyn View Post
    This.. is so painful.
    That should be an indication of how bad your posture is. However, it shouldn't be THAT painful unless you've been walking around hunched over since you were born.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Meteora View Post
    is there a pic demonstrating this? because im picturing something completely diferent i think. im at work atm, and i know im not focused, but i would assume hamstring stretch/touch your toes kinda thing helps, lol. im like Cay'. i do it when i wake up or even when i shower, but i also do it before i do long periods of running. i dont think my posture is horrible, but i never really went out of my way to be 100% awesome about it lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast