+ Reply to Thread

Some old homo's skull found in the desert. (Darwin inside!)

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...978726,00.html

The fossils, which have been determined to be a new species, Australopithecus sediba, were initially found by Matthew Berger, the 9-year-old son of paleontologist Lee Berger of South Africa's University of the Witwatersrand (the elder Berger tried in vain to get the editors of Science to list Matthew as a co-author on the paper). The bones belong to a pre-teenage boy and a woman estimated to be in her late 20s or early 30s; the individuals died at about the same time, and before their remains had fully decomposed, they were entombed in an avalanche of sediment and nearly perfectly preserved deep in the Malapa cave north of Johannesburg, South Africa.

The Au. Sediba bones are important for their vintage — they date back to the moment about 2 million years ago, when the genus of human ancestors known as Australopithecus was just giving way to a new group called Homo, which would ultimately produce Homo sapiens, or modern humans.

I thought this was interesting. Not only the fact that the bones are two million years old, but that they were found by a nine-year-old.

so i herd u liek trollin
    BG Level

Inb4 god put it there.

This thread is gonna become a religion shitfest before midnight.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tags
    darwin, desert, homo, inside, skull
    lol

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Phede Mihnao
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

How many of these "links" do we have? There's been a couple news articles on potential links between man and ape which never have any follow-up.

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

Thread title is great.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

A+ thread title, I Like!

Oh, you've got green eyes.
    Oh, you've got blue eyes.
    Oh, you've got grey eyes.

BG Level

MOST RAD.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pupuru Puru
    FFXIV Server
    Goblin
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Lastly, Berger suggests the tantalizing possibility of testing the fossils' DNA. Although the oldest DNA that paleontologists have successfully recovered so far dates back only tens of thousands of years, Berger said at a press conference, "We have states of preservation here that are truly extraordinary." But is it even possible to retrieve 2-million-year-old DNA? It's a long shot, he said, "but we're treating it as though maybe it could be preserved."
    Neat.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Feedmenow View Post
    How many of these "links" do we have? There's been a couple news articles on potential links between man and ape which never have any follow-up.
    Good one. They should also go discover the supposed "links" between crabs and arthropods while they're at it, huh?