• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Warren Buffett: $1 billion and $100k to whoever calls winners of all March Madness games

Ok I know nothing about how sports brackets work but aside from the 1 billion, you can also win lower amounts of 100K towards refinancing or remodeling a home each to the most accurate imperfect brackets. Just figured peeps who like sports here might wanna check it.

Warren Buffett: $1 billion to whoever calls winners of all March Madness games.

The billionaire, along with company Berkshire Hathaway and Quicken Loans, will offer a $1 billion prize the person who correctly calls the winners of all 63 games in this year's NCAA men's college basketball tournament. The odds of winning are one in 4,294,967,296, but 'imperfect brackets' could also be big winners.

By Corky Siemaszko / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014, 2:46 PM

Warren Buffett, chairman of the board and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway, will offer a $1 billion prize to anyone who correctly picks the winner of every game in the NCAA men's college basketball tournament.

And because the odds of picking the winner in each of those games are just one in 4,294,967,296, Quicken is sweetening the pot even more.

The Detroit-based outfit will award $100,000 each to the 20 most accurate "imperfect" brackets submitted to use toward buying, refinancing or remodeling a home.

Best of all, players don't have to kick in any cash of their own.

"It is our mission to create amazing experiences for our clients," said Quicken Loans honcho Jay Farner. "This contest, with the possibility of creating a billionaire, definitely fits that bill."

Should somebody defy the astronomical odds and actually pick all the games correctly, that person would become a billionaire in 40 annual installment of $25 million.

"We decided a billion dollars seems right for such an impressive feat," Farner said.

Look for details on how to play when the Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge website activates a minute after midnight on Mar. 3.

March Madness kicks off on Mar. 18

So hard we fuck rocks
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

When he offers the same up for youmadness, then we'll talk.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

This is an interesting probability problem. The odds of picking the right teams is not 1 in 4,294,967,296 unless each team is equally probable to win any given game. Realistically you're looking at a significant reduction in those odds.

Edit: Actually, looking at the math, I think they're wrong. Those are only the odds of guessing the "Round of 64" bracket correctly (2^32). The real odds of a perfect bracket assuming even odds are 1/9223372037000000000 (not zeros but my calculator doesn't show more precision than that). So yeah, Buffet's billion is safe.

Increasing the odds of a correct choice to 0.6 causes the Round of 64 probability to drop to 1/12,564,927 from 1/4,294,967,296. The odds of being completely correct are still 1/94,726,400,000,000, though.

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

i walked into my Captain's office and promised to never show my face at work again if that went down and I won, and he said "that's not fair, you'll get to leave this fucking place before me" lol

Quote Originally Posted by shepardG View Post
    When he offers the same up for youmadness, then we'll talk.
    I know its insane but I also know that are some hard core math heads up in this forum who might actually think about the numbers. I have no idea about brackets, are they something like a Final Fantasy Dissidia game with players who have the stats of real live athletes? Or is it like AD&D with the stats of real life athletes?
    Edit: nevermind, I was thinking fantasy football. I think I just shut down my whole entire brain on that!

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

40 annual installments of 25mil, rofl

Quote Originally Posted by Byrthnoth View Post
    This is an interesting probability problem. The odds of picking the right teams is not 1 in 4,294,967,296 unless each team is equally probable to win any given game. Realistically you're looking at a significant reduction in those odds.

Edit: Actually, looking at the math, I think they're wrong. Those are only the odds of guessing the "Round of 64" bracket correctly (2^32). The real odds of a perfect bracket assuming even odds are 1/9223372037000000000 (not zeros but my calculator doesn't show more precision than that). So yeah, Buffet's billion is safe.

Increasing the odds of a correct choice to 0.6 causes the Round of 64 probability to drop to 1/12,564,927 from 1/4,294,967,296. The odds of being completely correct are still 1/94,726,400,000,000, though.
    When I first heard about this, it was on live news and they said the odds are something like "one in nine quintillion". I spelled it phonetically as it sounds like quin-till-ee-on. Is that the number you defined above in your calculations? I have never seen a quintillion written out.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

It's March Madness. Each team might as well be equally likely to win each game >.>;

Edit: Out of curiosity, has there ever been a perfect bracket? Quick google search says the most correct ever was 55 correct in 2005..

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Stowastiq View Post
    When I first heard about this, it was on live news and they said the odds are something like "one in nine quintillion". I spelled it phonetically as it sounds like quin-till-ee-on. Is that the number you defined above in your calculations? I have never seen a quintillion written out.
    Yes, quintillion is 10^18.

readfy 2 go MSU ALL THE WAY

Black Guy from Predator.
    Uppity Negro
    Secret Admin

The Immortal Bill Duke

BG Level

naw nigga, SU got this

TOO MUCH MAN
    BG Level

The $1 billion will never happen, which is why it was done, the $100k x20 for the best brackets is what to keep in mind here.

The odds are fun to think about though!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Yeah, it's self-funded stimulus for a few new mortgages or renovations for him under the guise of pseudo-philanthropy and an impossible feat.

Okay, I still fucking laugh typing or saying 40 annual installments of 25mil. I dunno, it's like it quantifies a billion better.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

edit: im dum

TOO MUCH MAN
    BG Level

Something like "Yeah you win the powerball every year for the next 40 years"

GATTACA!

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    naw nigga, SU got this
    Nice, didn't know you were a Southern fan

New Odin
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sparthia Abysseant
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I don't know shit about sports and I'm about to enter random teams into the brackets for the lulz.

See you bitches in the Carribbean when I win that billion.

Quote Originally Posted by ronin sparthos View Post
    I don't know shit about sports and I'm about to enter random teams into the brackets for the lulz.

See you bitches in the Carribbean when I win that billion.
    Pretty much tempted to do the same.

Or start working on a time machine so my future self can send me back the brackets.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

No reason not to try, doesn't even cost a lottery ticket.

yayayaya no way in hell can ya win, but you can't win if you don't play! And like 5 minutes time is worth it.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001
    Or start working on a time machine so my future self can send me back the brackets.
    On point.