+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Linux Question     submit to reddit submit to twitter

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Linux Question

So i've finally done it. I convinced my parents to cancel their 'lolAOL' finalle and move on to gmail accounts (damn it was a long road, seriously AOL is adware you pay for and they would not cancel that shit). Anyway, I'm going to be installing Linux on their desktop for them, and I'm debating which distribution to use. I've used Ubuntu on my laptop for a long time and i'm thinking it would be a good choice as it's user friendly and I can spice it up a little with some effects for fun.

I'm thinking Ubuntu might be best because I'm familiar with it as well. If there is another distribution of linux anyone would like to reference i'll gladly look into it. Oh, and I'm so glad I finally can get linux installed for them, for some reason that Desktop got more shit on it then you would believe. I'm trusting Linux to be stupid-proof enough for them to not own the desktop with adware.

Well i've moved both my parents to gmail accounts, and i'm thinking of installing an instant messenger client but i'm debating which would be best there as well if anyone has info. Any experiences with other distribs would be appreciated too if anyone has a particular one they like. Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

I would say Ubuntu or PCLinux due to their ease-of-use and that they're not huge departures from the windows interface. I believe Ubuntu has pidgin built into it for a messaging client, so you could just configure that for them.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Personally I like fedora (old redhat fan). I have fedora 8 installed, even though fedora 9 is available now a lot of my programs aren't supported by it yet. But yeah, Ubuntu is good too for it's ease of use like said above. I would recommend either of the 2.

Edit: forgot to mention that most linux distros already come with an instant messenger pre-installed, usually gaim, which works with most IM services.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

definitely go for Ubuntu. It has one of the best and most "newb-friendly" support document systems I have ever seen. In fact, chances are the next systems for my friends and family will be Ubuntu boxes only. (Vista is still an utter pain in the rear. Even after SP1.)

Not Killing Ganon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

the best linux distro to use in a situation like this is the one you know best, so stick with ubuntu... though it seems to have more freaking auto updates than windows lol>.<;

Edit: forgot to mention that most linux distros already come with an instant messenger pre-installed, usually gaim, which works with most IM services.
    tis pidgin now>.>

also you could use kubuntu (other linux users dont kill me for what im about to say) its ubuntu, only with KDE as the default desktop vs gnome, KDE is typically more "lolimanoldperson" friendly than gnome is... and is more windowsesque as well... if its an older desktop thats slower, you could also get xubuntu which is ubuntu with xfce as the default desktop, which is really windows like graphically, and also a lighter wm for older hardware