Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Tech Vid of SEs next MMORPG

I know this may be old to some, but it seems that when i browse this forum many people have never seen it, and never knew it was announced in the first place. So i thought id post the link to the demo that was shown by SE last year at the MS press conference at E3.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MOR795E7vag

Thoughts on its look?

that was released when SE was doing the FFXI to x360 shit, its just a temp video of what FFXI couldve looked like on the x360 at max performance... i fucking wish that was how FFXI was lol

that aint no new MMO, or FFXI-2, that shit was talked to death looong ago
    good to see it again though

lol No its not. Its the tech demo of the next mmorpg they are working on for 360, PS3, and PC, or atleast the engine and technology they are basing it on. They showed it at the 360 conference, because it was created using the 360 Dev kit. Because they wanted to see what was possible with the hardware and to establish what they could do developing on next gen hardware with a new mmorpg. Not that it was FFXI at max performance. Or atleast ive never seen a single interview about it stating it was ffxi at max performance.

This demo was shown in May2005

FFXI came out in April 2006 For the Xbox360 -_-.

Im not saying it is THE actual gameplay footage of what it will look like. Demo is just an early build, and the early builds can always change dramaticly from the final build.

Tanaka also talked a bit about Square Enixs next MMORPG project, which is about to go into full-scale development. While Tanaka didnt reveal details, he confirmed that it will take advantage of the technologies shown in Square Enixs demo trailer during Microsofts Pre-E3 conference last year. When asked about its release period, Tanaka hinted that it might take at least another year and a half.

So the next SE mmorpg will be based off what was shown (which is usually the norm when ia game is based of a shown tech demo), so its a good indication of what the next one will look like imo. Tech demo is just usually the rough build of whatever it is they are working on. I too wish ffxi looked like that lol.

But im even more curious to see how much improved their actual next one will look over this year old demo now. Im sure teh next one will look better then the tech demo, so i cant wait. Though they also hinted that the next mmorpg might not even be a ffxi sequal directly. But if its not ill miss the job classes

Love-God among men.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by FinalJustice

FFXI came out in April 2006.
    Huh..?

Quote Originally Posted by thestalkmore

FFXI came out in April 2006.
    Huh..?
    For the XBOX360.

Banned.

BG Level

Old news is olllllllllllllld.

Not worth commenting on until they show another demo. If you compare the old FFXI demos, like the very first ones, to the current, like 60% is striped.

But, since this is a thread and all...I hope it takes place in Vana'diel's future.

I know its old
    Just some people never knew about it.
    But I too hope the next one takes place in teh same world. Or if it doesn\\\'t, atleast incorporate a similar job system, or atleast BE FF in nature.

But yea, youre right they did change a lot from the first ffxi tech demo to the final version we play now.

Old Merits
    BG Level

It was my understanding that this was a tech demo of what the dev team could do on the 360- the demo was released at TGS in 2005. If you read carefully it never says that it is a demo of any upcomming game, but rather that the upcomming game would hopefully use some of the technology in that demo. It was done just for displays sake and it's not any indication of any game ever. Just some video thrown together to show off what could be done.

This demo was shown in May2003

FFXI came out in April 2006 For the Xbox360 -_-.
    Your dates are wrong. Are you telling me seriously that in May, 2003 MONTHS BEFORE THE US PC launch, that SE was putting out a 360 demo of their new game that would follow the one that they hadn't even released in the US yet? On a console that wouldn't be released for 3 years?

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl
    Oh shi- I think that's Odin at the end of the trailer!

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander
    WoW Realm
    Doomhammer

Proof that game concepts change drastically over a development period, check out this original FFXI trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GiAJj3mHRs

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tanag
    Proof that game concepts change drastically over a development period, check out this original FFXI trailer

lol @ Fafnir flying and the Goobue eating a mandy.

Banned.

BG Level

fuck anything SE related ever again in the fucking future

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Helmut Lang
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Zalius
    fuck anything SE related ever again in the fucking future
    FF13? KH3?

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Kross

lol @ Fafnir flying and the Goobue eating a mandy.
    \

Goobues now own more.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Anyone else notice the guy doing the BLU magic animation during the fire spell?

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Lightninghoof

I wanna mandy eating Goobue!!!! Not fair!!! Damn you SE!!!

Your dates are wrong. Are you telling me seriously that in May, 2003 MONTHS BEFORE THE US PC launch, that SE was putting out a 360 demo of their new game that would follow the one that they hadn\'t even released in the US yet? On a console that wouldn\'t be released for 3 years?
    No i meant to put 2005 >.>

Old Merits
    BG Level

Despite that error, I still think you're making a massive error in reading this:
    confirmed that it will take advantage of the technologies shown
    as "confirmed that it will look like this and this is a demo of the new game." I think the proper way to read this is that the tech demo wasn't based on anything it was just a tech demo showing what could be done on the hardware. THe next game in the series will take advantage of the newer technology so while the world may be entirely different than what was shown, things like bump mapping and shading and whatever fancy water effects and such will be used. I think calling this thing a demo of the new game they are making is a massive reach.