+ Reply to Thread
    D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

FFRK - Abyss Dungeon 11 - Summoning II Event & Strategies

Remember that you do NOT need to worry about completing this, if you are a newer player and don't have the hones/gear/chars leveled needed to clear, you can wait for the abyss dungeon to open up again next month and complete both this one and the next one then.

Event Start Date: December 12
    Event End Date: December 26

All Information is taken from a mixture of Reddit/Spreadsheets/Kongbakpao Site.

Most, if not all info for the event (Commentary/Ultimate Abilities was directly copy/pasted from it, so all credit to the site for that especially!) comes from this site: http://ffrk.kongbakpao.com/abyss-11/

Notable Rewards

6 star Accessory
    1x Soul of Hero
    1x Memory Crystal
    1x Memory Crystal II
    1x Valigarmanda Memory Crystal

Valigarmanda
    • 6 Star SMN ability
    • 3 hit (5.50 per hit) All Target Fire/Ice/Lightning MAG.

Relics (SSB+ or Higher)
    FFCore: Tyro
    FF3: Arc
    FF4: Rydia
    FF5: Krile
    FF6: Terra
    FF7: Aerith
    FF8: Rinoa
    FF9: Garnet
    FF9: Eiko
    FF10: Yuna
    FF10: Seymour
    FF10: Braska
    FF12: Ashe
    FF13: Hope
    FF14: Alphinaud

Battles

Valigarmanda (Nightmare)
    HP: ~389,083
    Target Score:
    • Use summon attacks on Valigarmanda.
    • Win before Nightmare Tri-Disaster is used.
    • Make Glutturns (Yellow) appear.

Weak: None
    Absorbs: None
    Resists: None
    Break Resistance: Null
    Vulnerabilities: None

Abilities

Phase 1

Blizzaga/Firaga/Thundaga: Deal heavy ice/fire/lightning magic damage to one target.
    Blizzaga/Firaga/Thundaga: Deal heavy ice/fire/lightning magic damage to all targets.
    Absolute Zero: Deal very heavy ice magic damage to all targets.
    Nightmare Tri-Disaster: Deal massive fire/ice/lightning magic damage to all targets. (ignores DEF)
    Nightmare Tri-Disaster (Counter): Deal massive fire/ice/lightning magic damage to all targets. (trigger: physical attacks, black/white magic, Ninja)

Phase 2 / Phase 3

Blizzaga/Firaga/Thundaga: Deal heavy ice/fire/lightning magic damage to one target.
    Blizzaga/Firaga/Thundaga: Deal heavy ice/fire/lightning magic damage to all targets.
    Absolute Zero: Deal very heavy ice magic damage to all targets.
    Tri-Disaster: Deal special massive fire/ice/lightning magic damage to all targets.
    Nightmare Tri-Disaster: Deal massive fire/ice/lightning magic damage to all targets. (ignores DEF)
    Nightmare Tri-Disaster (Counter): Deal massive fire/ice/lightning magic damage to all targets. (trigger: physical attacks, black/white magic, Ninja)

Glutturn (Red)

Ultima: Deal massive NE magic damage to all targets.
    Attack: Restore 2 ability uses of all party members.
    Attack: Restore 1 ability use of all party members.
    Heartless Anngel (Counter): Bring all targets’ HP to 1

Glutturn (Yellow)

Entice: Charm all targets.
    Diabolic Whistle (Counter): Doom, Berserk, Sap, Slow and Blind all targets.

Glutturn (Blue)

Blaster: KO one target.
    Punishment (Counter): KO one target.

Commentary

The following featured guide this time is by SkyfireX! He’s definitely not a stranger in the FFRK community. Do take some time to read his guide, it’s simple to understand and effective! Here it goes:

This is probably one of the more well designed Abyss/Nightmare fights. Difficult and Rng if you do not grasp the mechanics, but a straightforward fight based on execution once you do. You still need good magic buffs/mitigation, so it’s not a total walkover even if you understand the fight!

Summon Nightmare Valigarmanda

At first, this fight looked to be a highly RNG based fight with the barriers switching colours. After testing it out over about 10 S/Ls and with the help of SolitaireD from Gamefaqs, we solved the puzzle totally!

So let’s breakdown the Boss phases!

Phase 1

Valigarmanda starts off by counting down to 5, or basically he will use Abyss – Tri Disaster at the end of 5 turns.

Killing the Energy Sphere brings us to Phase 2, and reset the counter.

Just setup your mitigation and buffs, then bring him to phase 2 where the fun begins

Phase 2

This is the part where most people originally thought it was RNG based.

First let’s talk about the mechanics (shamelessly copied from SolitaireD) :

Each time an Energy Sphere is spawned, 2 Elemental Barriers will be spawned as well.
    • There are 3 colors: Red, Blue, Yellow.
    • If the current color is Red and Blue, Valigarmanda will resist Fire and Ice. If both colors are Red, it will be immune to Fire, etc.
    • Using the opposite element to that color will cause that barrier to disappear. Ice for Red Barrier, Fire for Blue Barrier, Water for Yellow Barrier.
    • When both barriers are eliminated, 2 Glutturns will be spawned. Their colors correspond to the barriers’ color when destroyed. So if you eliminate them when it is Red and Blue, a Red and Blue Glutturn will appear.
    • They will run away if the timer reaches 0, or if you defeat the Energy Sphere ahead of them.
    • If both Glutturns are of the same color, they will drop a +2 Ether when defeated. If the colors are different, the Ether will only restore 1 ability usage.
    • The front barrier changes color every 1 second, the back barrier changes color every 2 seconds.
    • Here lies the main difficulty of this Nightmare. You should eliminate the barriers before killing off the Sphere in order to spawn Glutturns for ether refresh. Otherwise, you have to really hone your summons. (Unless you have Rydia and Alphinaud’s BSB)
    • At first glance, it seems to be completely RNG. Because they are changing color constantly, you’ll need luck to hit the correct barrier at the correct time with the correct summon.

However, SolitaireD and I have discovered a pattern to overcome this “RNG”.

First off, the color change follows a pattern. Red -> Blue -> Yellow -> Red -> Blue -> Yellow –

Secondly, the barriers are in consecutive color the first time they appear.

Random between Red/Blue, Blue/Yellow, Yellow/Red

Summons have a cast time of 1.8 second, so you should press activate it at the correct timing.

I.E if the combination is yellow/red, you should summon an ice summon a bit after the barriers are Yellow/Blue, so that it will hit when both barriers are Red/Red. If you miss that timing, then summon a fire summon when it’s Red/Yellow so that you hit it when it’s Blue/Blue

With this you are bound to get 2 ability refresh with every Glutturns. This will help your hones a lot.

Phase 3

This is basically similar to Phase 1 except that the counter is now 3. In here, it’s just going all out till you win, without letting the counter reach 0.

Tips:
    • Be good in timing your abilities uses
    • Use Magic Boosts
    • Mitigation (shellga is not enough alone, do get a res+50% at least)
    • Take some time during phase 2 to refresh your buffs!

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

One tip that I've seen mentioned is to use a Burst command that gives a powerchain effect (Alphinaud/Raines BSBs) on the character with Leviathan to instantly summon him and get the medal condition. However remember that Raines commands are BLK so if you use those on Valigarmanda he will counter, need to target the sphere instead. Alphinaud's commands are safe because they're classified as SMN.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

took one look at that barrier shifting nonsense and decided brute force is the only way to fly. i have the SBs for it so why the hell not?

y'shtola - curaja/wrath - BSB/SS2, dr. mog
    krile - maduin/shiva - sheepsong, knight's charge
    rydia - alexander/ - BSB, battleforged
    yuna - curaga/shellga - BSB2, ace striker
    alphinaud - tiamat/leviathan - BSB, mako might

OK RW

probably cut it really close on damage as i ate one AoE for ~2500 toward the end after wall dropped, but it worked out so no complaints!

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I played the barrier game. I should have used powerchain leviathan on tyro!

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Pretty much cleaned house on this fight. 6 more crystals to R2!

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

weird, i guess i must have missed one because i'm sitting at 13 right now. afaik i've completed/mastered everything starting with the first FFT event, i know i missed a few crystals from events before that but i didn't think summon crystals were in the game that far back. was there a CM for something that gave a summon crystal?

He might've gotten lucky on a boss drop. Think I'm 13/20, too.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by arus2001 View Post
    He might've gotten lucky on a boss drop. Think I'm 13/20, too.
    Is this before or after the current Nightmare? Because I only have the final boss left to clear and I'm sitting at 19 I think.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

i'm at 13 after mastering the fight and crafting it

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

How does burst stack with other buffs? I think I might be able to pull off 1200 mag for a tiamat build.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Moridam View Post
    weird, i guess i must have missed one because i'm sitting at 13 right now. afaik i've completed/mastered everything starting with the first FFT event, i know i missed a few crystals from events before that but i didn't think summon crystals were in the game that far back. was there a CM for something that gave a summon crystal?
    Lucky drop from FFV ultimate.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Brute Forced it with Alexander/Titan/Alphinaud + Tiamat spam, and got the medal condition for Leviathan by using the instant cast from Wind Blade.

Outside of that, the worst part was keeping folks healed (I had Papalymo there even if he didn't have synergy so I could have Leylines, and he was a secondary healer) + Tyro as main heal. Really wish I had Shellga on someone else though because having to Shellga/Wall on Tyro before healing was tough at the very start.. but still, only needed to S/L twice. First time, Papalymo got one shotted ;w;

Either way.. I only got like.. +2 ether once I think? But still had plenty of hones. Finished with the tri-disaster orb at 1 for the countdown as a second Alphinaud Aerial Blast went off doing like..4.9k a pop to the boss, killing it. EZ.