Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

You want to get in that booked restaurant?

http://www.gourmet.com/magazine/2000...printable=true

Friend linked me to that at work, simply amazing. I would not have thought that to work these days, but I guess "Money talks" isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

that is... a really cool article. hmm.

Shallow and Pedantic
    BG Level

Interesting read, thankyou.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Money talks. Thanks for posting this. Was a good read.

More interesting than I thought, although some of those wait times really were not bad or exuded "exclusive" at all.

GATTACA!
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

I will keep this in mind for when I have enough money to tip a maitre d' $100

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

That was fascinating. I've never thought to try that - mostly because I certainly don't have the money to even go out to a fancy restaurant, let alone tip that much just to be seated. I wouldn't have thought it would work, though.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Cool article. The part that hit me like a punch was where a friend of his asked for advice on how to tip her building superintendent. The idea that you have to tip a fucking building manager in new york in order to get shit done (like...fixing faucets or appliances, etc.) makes me fucking sick.

the tl;dr:
    For as little as $100—that’s $25 each for a meal that would ultimately cost close to $375 per head—I had jumped what was rumored to be a 2,700-person waiting list and gotten into the hardest restaurant in the world that week. And I had done it by following a set of rules so old-fashioned that my grandmother could have written them: Dress properly, act dignified, be polite, smile. And spend a little extra for good service—it will pay you back in droves.
    this sorta thing is going to work anywhere a doorman/bouncer/maitre'd controls access to the establishment for regular people.

I thought this kind of stuff was common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Cool article. The part that hit me like a punch was where a friend of his asked for advice on how to tip her building superintendent. The idea that you have to tip a fucking building manager in new york in order to get shit done (like...fixing faucets or appliances, etc.) makes me fucking sick.
    It's not so much tipping people throughout the city to get it done, as motivating people to go the little bit extra. Understandably, I'd probably complain to the appropriate city department if my super failed to respond to a problem I was having, but if you're looking for a job well done, and getting someone to spend maybe extra time doing something they normally wouldn't do themselves, then I can understand it.

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    It just gets done faster, like, 10 minutes after the fact, instead of the next day.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Money talks. Great artcle and here are the notes for people that don't wanna click the link

1. Go. You’d be surprised what you can get just by showing up.
    2. Dress appropriately. Your chances improve considerably if you look like you belong.
    3. Don’t feel ashamed. They don’t. You shouldn’t.
    4. Have the money ready. Prefolded, in thirds or fourths, with the amount showing.
    5. Identify the person who’s in charge, even if you have to ask.
    6. Isolate the person in charge. Ask to speak with that person, if necessary.
    7. Look the person in the eye when you slip him the money. Don’t look at the money.
    8. Be specific about what you want. “Do you have a better table?” “Can you speed up my wait?” A good fallback: “This is a really important night for me.”
    9. Tip the maître d’ on the way out if he turned down the money but still gave you a table.
    10. Ask for the maître d’s card as you’re leaving. You are now one of his best customers.
    I've done the folded $20-$50 bill at clubs, raves and restaurants when circumstances are required. I don't do it all the time because i ain't no baller. XD

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

This is pretty standard tbh. The only point I slightly disagree with is the whole under 40 / over 40 distinction. It's almost entirely based on the person. I've had bad experiences with both old and young. The smartest rule is the fallback. Just saying "I'm sorry, this is just a very special night for me." alleviates almost every situation.

The customer is always right,
    The customer who slips you a 20/50/100 is actually right.

It's all good advice, especially for people who don't go out a lot and get discouraged going to the nicer places. I mean you don't have to have a million dollars on you to get what you want, just be assertive and grease the wheels a bit.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Counterfeit View Post
    I thought this kind of stuff was common sense.

Think it's one of those things everyone knows about, but not everyone knows how to do without looking like a moron

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

I like this guy's writing style. Excellent article.

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Drex View Post
    Think it's one of those things everyone knows about, but not everyone knows how to do without looking like a moron
    Indeed.

Our culture says "bribes r bad, mmmkay?", and so people tend to be really, really bad at greasing palms when the situation calls for it.

The easy warm-up for folks too timid to properly get things done is to find a nice, small bar where the same bartenders are there consistently. Get used to tipping outrageously on the first round or two and at the end of the night, and start adding up how many free drinks you get (and if you're not getting any, you're doing something wrong). It's a natural progression from there to tipping in advance, which is really all a bribe to a maitre'd is.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

That was a really cool article! I was a bit sad to find out it was from 2000, so long ago, but still obviously, shared it with some friends.

Change this later.
    BG Level

I bet this would also work on things like haircuts and hotel rooms.