+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ulnar Nerve Entrapment?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Ulnar Nerve Entrapment?

Hey BG! If there's a doctor (or a nurse) in the house, I have a bit of a question...

For the past few days, I've been having tingling in my left ring and pinky finger, and some slight numbness in my left arm. Resting on my left elbow usually causes a "jolt" feeling, like a nerve being struck (not painful, just kind of a creepy feeling)... at first I was a bit worried I may have a blood clot, but all the signs point to nerve compression/entrapment, especially since it's only the left side of my hand feeling the tingling...

Obviously, I'll go see a doctor - but I was wondering a few things about this:

1: Will it usually go away on it's on?
    2: Can it be serious?
    3: If physical therapy is suggested, does insurance usually cover that sort of thing, and how extensive is it?
    4: How common is surgery for something like this?

Thanks!

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

i used to have something similar, but right side. it was nerve stuff. it wasn't really serious, but it was due to a shoulder injury i sustained while snowboarding, which never got better. it took me a LONG time to get rid of but this was because i didn't know how to strengthen and rehab my shoulder correctly. best advice is to go see a doctor, find a GOOD physical therapist (i basically wasted thousands of dollars with my first one) and do what he says like it's your religion.

like i said, it wasn't really serious. but if you don't like weird shit going on with your body don't wait for it to get better, go see someone for it. until then i'd recommend you try gentle stretching and exercises to get the circulation going. that might help alleviate the feelings and even put them away for good.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

go see a doc. i had the same, but mine was caused by complications from a poorly set broken arm when i was a kid. i tore the band of tissue that holds the ulnar nerve in place, causing that sucker to move all over. physical therapy wasn't gonna cut it for me.

as for your questions, they're hard to answer. call your insurance company, go see your doc, and get it taken care of.

I came here expecting a cycling related finger numbness question. I had numbness in my finger tips for up to 4 hours after my ride, due to poor handle bar placement, height etc as well as the biking having been a used bike and not the correct size for me

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Same with my left .. doc gave me some muscle relaxers and it went away.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Re: Ulnar Nerve Entrapment?

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    Hey BG! If there's a doctor (or a nurse) in the house, I have a bit of a question...

For the past few days, I've been having tingling in my left ring and pinky finger, and some slight numbness in my left arm. Resting on my left elbow usually causes a "jolt" feeling, like a nerve being struck (not painful, just kind of a creepy feeling)... at first I was a bit worried I may have a blood clot, but all the signs point to nerve compression/entrapment, especially since it's only the left side of my hand feeling the tingling...

Obviously, I'll go see a doctor - but I was wondering a few things about this:

1: Will it usually go away on it's on?
    2: Can it be serious?
    3: If physical therapy is suggested, does insurance usually cover that sort of thing, and how extensive is it?
    4: How common is surgery for something like this?

Thanks!
    1. No.
    2. Yes.
    3. Depends on medical necessity and your insurance. Usually, yes.
    4. Depends on extent of problem, your doctor would best tell you.

Trapped nerves are literally a pain but you want to be sure that's what it is.

Groinlonger
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I had the same experience, and it did go away on its own. It depends on how bad it is. My pain was very close to what you describe. You could try waiting a week or so to see if your symptoms alleviate. If not, then I would maybe consider seeing a doctor about it.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I went to a medical walk-in at the local hospital, doctor ordered an X-Ray...

X-Ray showed no bone/tissue damage, but they had me make an appointment with orthopedics, can't go til next Thursday though...

Thanks for the answers!

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Just an update - surgery is required for it... it's actually gotten a little worse since my OP. Was kinda shocked when the doctor showed me I had almost zero strength left in my left hand - enough to grip and not notice, but not enough to resist someone trying to move my fingers.

One odd thing... I was able to resist the doctor from straightening my elbow from a 90 degree angle... then he rubbed the nerve area very gently, and any capability to resist him from moving my arm was immediately gone...

Surgery I'm having is Ulnar Nerve Transposition...

Anyone have experience with that here?

But I don't want my title changed
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fievel Mousekewitz
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Just an update - surgery is required for it... it's actually gotten a little worse since my OP. Was kinda shocked when the doctor showed me I had almost zero strength left in my left hand - enough to grip and not notice, but not enough to resist someone trying to move my fingers.

One odd thing... I was able to resist the doctor from straightening my elbow from a 90 degree angle... then he rubbed the nerve area very gently, and any capability to resist him from moving my arm was immediately gone...

Surgery I'm having is Ulnar Nerve Transposition...

Anyone have experience with that here?
    No personal experience with having the surgery, but I see these done four or five times a month. They have a decently high success rate, and the procedure itself isn't really all too long. Normal full recovery time is 2-3 months.

Good luck with everything!

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

yeah, it's what i had done. it wasn't as painful as the repair work i had done on my elbow joint, but it wasn't exactly a walk in the park, either. do what your doc says, and take it easy. having someone close to help around the house will probably be necessary. best of luck to you!

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I had the surgery on Wednesday the 24th... it was surprisingly not bad at all. I got knocked out before I even knew they were going to knock me out.

My arm is wrapped in some huge cast-bandage hybrid, which makes showering a huge pain in the ass. That, and the incessant need to scratch the bandaged arm along with the nausea induced by the Vicodin (stopped after the first day... I'll take pain over nausea, thanks) have been the worst parts of the process.

Internet research of the doctor shows him to be one of the best at what he does, but almost everyone said he's not very great at dealing with patients on a personal level.

After the surgery, he stopped by, asked how I was doing - I replied "I'm feeling okay" - he replied "great", walked off and I never saw him after that. I had questions, but didn't have a chance to get them out.

I wound up calling his office later that day, because I was curious about 1) the size of the incision and 2) the location of the incision. I really couldn't tell, because my entire arm was still numb. My reasons for asking were so I could get a general idea of where to be more protective of my arm, and to know where and what sort of pain I should expect to feel.

He wound up calling me from what seemed to be a home phone around 7pm, and sounded generally annoyed by the questions. He told me I'd see the size of the incision when the cast comes off, and that the location doesn't matter since the cast won't let me "get at it". Guessing the internet reviews are pretty accurate.

I have some slight concerns about the stitches, as I sometimes feel them "tugging" or being "stretched" (not as if they're coming out, but just a tightness as the muscle flexes... There's no moisture inside of the cast, and no severe pain, so I'm hoping that means they haven't been entirely fucked up for some reason (worst thing I did pain wise was trying to open bottles the day after the surgery - holding the bottle with my left, turning the cap with my right and vice versa were both equally agonizing). The pain on the incision is relatively minor... friction feels like minor skin irritation at worst, a deep scratch surrounded by a nasty bruise at worse (if I accidentally apply pressure to the area by resting the arm awkwardly).

I can use the hand of the operated arm for light stuff... like opening drawers, bottles, doors... sometimes it's fine, sometimes some mild pain, but nothing serious... no constant pain, no discoloration, no blood coming through the bandage - so hopefully all is well so far.

I've managed to replay FF12 International, using a PS2 controller. The doctor's written instructions said I should use and excercise my fingers - so I figure that qualifies. It was a pretty solid replay as well... I've got three characters up to level 80 and killed all espers (fuck you Zodiark, I rank killing that Darkga/Invincible spamming asshole a higher achievement than anything I've ever done in FFXI) and all marks except for Yiazmat and Omega.

Cast comes off next Tuesday. Can't friggin' wait. Praying they don't make me keep it on longer.

Also, fuck Vicodin and fuck Percocet. I don't understand how anyone can be addicted to that nausea inducing shit.

I told the nurse I was going to not take it, and just take Advil. She told me the pain would be unbearable. She either lied, or everyone else is a pussy.

They're just like us
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I told the nurse I was going to not take it, and just take Advil. She told me the pain would be unbearable. She either lied, or everyone else is a pussy.
    Bolded is truth. Neither of those have ever made me nauseous, sorry it affected you that way.

Never had problems with painkillers either.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Was going to say you should go see Doc. Schwartz for this one, but you did. Good.

Feel better soon brah

She Shoots For The Stars
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elizara Paksenarrion
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I hope you feel better soon. I had some minor surgery once(Don't ask where; it's in a spot I'd rather not discuss and is prone to jokes) and got a prescrip for Percocet (Which I didn't get filled); I got by on asprin and Anacin. So I think some people just feel pain worse than others.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

yeah when i visited doctors in the past i tried to get the ones who were competent with good bedside manner. having a dr who will listen and explain shit to you makes all kinds of difference.