Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Relic Shield
    BG Level

This boost blockin engage bug seems glaring. Im not sure if they even bother QA testing this stuff anymore.

Of course they don't. Why would they bother. You'll keep playing even if they never fix it, so where's the incentive.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Pushing the update with Boost not working on WS is a pretty glaring error.

Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlko View Post
    Not once did I ever get a multi-attack proc with Boost up according to TP return. I'm guessing it's a proc itself, or prevents procs from occurring. It's doing something to replace a normal auto-attack round w/ a single mainhand hit tho.
    Someone elsewhere claims that Multiattack cannot proc with Boost up. At this point I'd say they're right.

Either way, this seems like an incredibly convoluted attempt to make MNK more competitive when they could've offered a plentiful of other much simpler and equally effective (if not better) solutions.
    I wish they could've told us what exactely scares them so much.

Boost might be nice for WS if the increase really turns out to be good. It has to be VERY good to compensate for the delay penalty that you still get even if you WS.
    I'm still getting mixed feelings from the change to Focus. The Additional crit is good, the additional acc is meh and the new duration sucks.

I'm still also bitter they did absolutely nothing for Impetus.

Campaign
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpy View Post
    This boost blockin engage bug seems glaring. Im not sure if they even bother QA testing this stuff anymore.
    While they might change it because it feels awful, I think in their twisted minds they meant it to work that way because they were afraid of people exploiting boost by pre-boosting before engaging.
    That's why they created so many complex combinations of negative aspects (other JA use cancel boost, cannot engage, cannot do this, cannot do that, X seconds delay, blahblah), they were really scared about something.
    What this something is, I dunno, but MNK trumping the Damage scene for several months must have really left a bad impression on them.

Thing is, MNK is not the only job that happened to be incredibly powerful for a certain window of time, yet they seem to be scared about MNK only and not about the other jobs.
    There was nothing different between MNK and the other jobs in their respective times of trumping from my perspective, unless I'm missing some key factor here?

Monk as a job (totally anecdotally) seems to always end up as in issue in any mmo.

Remember the big thing that happened on Diablo III with mnk? tldr; over powered, everyone took it up, nerfed into the ground, diablo 3 died.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Teisha Linne
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Yeah, D3 definitely had problems because of Monk, lol.

The literal only thing I ever heard about D3 was RMT Auction house, and Huge MNK nerf. obviously it wasn't the only issue, but of note.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Sechs View Post
    While they might change it because it feels awful, I think in their twisted minds they meant it to work that way because they were afraid of people exploiting boost by pre-boosting before engaging.
    That might make sense if we still had things like timer locking or the timer was much longer and it worked on ws and a bunch of things put together. But as is pre boosting aint shit to begin with let alone something exploitable

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

*reads posts + patch*

So it's your usual buffnerf(berff?) patch.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Sechs View Post
    That's why they created so many complex combinations of negative aspects (other JA use cancel boost, cannot engage, cannot do this, cannot do that, X seconds delay, blahblah), they were really scared about something.
    What this something is, I dunno, but MNK trumping the Damage scene for several months must have really left a bad impression on them.

Thing is, MNK is not the only job that happened to be incredibly powerful for a certain window of time, yet they seem to be scared about MNK only and not about the other jobs.
    There was nothing different between MNK and the other jobs in their respective times of trumping from my perspective, unless I'm missing some key factor here?
    I think they actually goofed in the implementation/mechanics/programming. The damage buff is not enough to be worth worrying about to bother trying to prevent prebuffing., and I'm guessing that it doesn't stack. They probably took the simplest route they could think of (directly increasing delay) and neglected to remember about the way that delay interacts with engaging. All they need to do is give Boost some sort of bypass to that, and make it work with WS as was advertised, and we might have something useful.

Do any JA/spells overwrite/cancel Boost that are not in the same buff slot? If not, and assuming you can get enough MA+ to hit at least 4sec Boost duration, they I still think that doing Boost>Warcry>Berserk>WS could be good once they have Boost working w/ WS. (Insert your own favorite JAs into the sequence if you don't like those two.)

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Regardless of how much haste/MA you have, Boost's duration has a minimum cap of your weapon's unmodified delay. Thus, if you're using Godhands, the minimum possible delay is (480+138)/60 = 10.3 seconds, while with Spharai it's (480+116)/60 = 9.93 seconds.

Unless they change the JA, you'll never get anywhere close to 4 seconds.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Thinking back now I said they'd need to basically bring boost to monster/jug pet fantod level boost to be good enough... and they basically did in terms of how much it increases dmg. Fantod being 4x boost now being that if you have 350 str though enhance effects probably make that threshold lower. Problem was they put all these gimps like not working with ws and insanely increasing delay (as if general ja delay wasn't enough to offset a lot of that to begin with) and not working on ws. Also 1 min recast is kind of high for what it does

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Fwahm View Post
    Regardless of how much haste/MA you have, Boost's duration has a minimum cap of your weapon's unmodified delay. Thus, if you're using Godhands, the minimum possible delay is (480+138)/60 = 10.3 seconds, while with Spharai it's (480+116)/60 = 9.93 seconds.

Unless they change the JA, you'll never get anywhere close to 4 seconds.
    Hm. I didn't have anywhere near enough MNK usable MA+ gear to try pushing it further down.. I know that at least once, I managed to get it to almost exactly 7sec using either Comeuppances or Calved Claws (the only 2x H2H weapons I had on me) and neither of those should be able to get that low. :/ The buff ticked down from 7 > 6 as soon as it appeared on the screen. This was why I was thinking that it might be possible to get down to 4sec or less, but maybe there was lag or something on my end that made the display show the wrong duration. I am on crappy DSL afterall.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Hmm. Maybe Boost's delay takes Martial Arts into account for the minimum delay, then? I did most of my testing with a Staff for simplicity's sake, with only a little H2H testing to see if basic values were the same across weapon types.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Hmm. Maybe Boost's delay takes Martial Arts into account for the minimum delay, then? I did most of my testing with a Staff for simplicity's sake, with only a little H2H testing to see if basic values were the same across weapon types.
    It definitely takes Martial Arts into account. Was able to drop a second off the timer display by equipping a naked+weapon character w/ 2x Mache Earrings. (Wasn't a full second off the duration, just enough to change the timer.) I'm pretty sure I saw the same behavior w/ Dual Wield. Since both MA/DW directly modify delay, it would make sense for them to have an effect even though gear haste does not. When I saw that 7sec timer, it excited me because I thought I figured out what the devs wanted us to be doing with it, which is why it really stuck out to me. Stacking MA+ gear for Boost activation seems like a way to make MA+ gear useful for something other than hurting your TP gain. lol

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

With all possible non-weapon Martial Arts gear (Shaolin Belt, Hizamaru Somen +2, Bhikku Cyclas +1, Count's Cuffs, Mache Earring +1 x2, and Rao +1 legs and feet), you could get to 206 base delay. That would put minimum Boost delay at 3.43 seconds (unarmed), 5.37 seconds (Spharai), and 5.73 seconds (Godhands).

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

With all possible non-weapon Martial Arts gear (Shaolin Belt, Hizamaru Somen +2, Bhikku Cyclas +1, Count's Cuffs, Mache Earring +1 x2, and Rao +1 legs and feet), you could get to 206 base delay. That would put minimum Boost delay at 3.43 seconds (unarmed), 5.37 seconds (Spharai), and 5.73 seconds (Godhands).
    Darn, there go my dreams for this. ><;; 5-6sec is probably too long to cover w/ popping JAs to cover the lost white damage in the same timeframe, unless they get it working properly with WS and it turns out amazing.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Even at no actual delay besides normal ja delay it's an incredibly small increase to dps. Hell even if they get it working on ws at once a minute doubt it's going to make enough of a difference to make mnk attractive

In other thoughts wonder if it's just taking the delay used for tp calcs... so like maybe other forms of direct delay reduction might work.. I mean ninja can get over 80 dual wield so might be able to make it basically instant. Another though it's kind of funny how you can go faster by lowering your tp gain which kind of counters the increased gain you get from using the ability. It's like they are trying their hardest to make sure any positive on this comes with an equally large negative

PUP Power!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The problem for boosting monk is ironically PUP. PUP would get to share any MNK weaponskill buff and they probably see that as unbalanced, given how strong and versatile the automaton is. Perhaps an easy fix is create a job trait for MNKs that strengthens the fTP for hand-to-hand weaponskills and only allow PUP to have a lesser tier version of it.