Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about windower     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Question about windower

Recently, I opened up a second instance on my computer to set up a mule selling things while I was on my main xping. I was xping for about an hour and I decided to check the log of my mule to see how often people checked it and if anything sold.

The weird thing was that the chat log was messed up. My main characters xp party log had bled into my mule's log. I guess FFXI's recent chat log history is saved to a file on your computer and both windows were trying to save to the same file or something. Has this happened to anyone else, or was it just a screw up on my computer?

But my question is what does a GM see when they look at your chat log about something? Is the same file that is temporarily stored on your computer the same file the GM sees? I would hate to get busted because my mule in Rolenberry Fields is magically receiving text about a robber crab doing dmg to my party in kuftal.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

The logs are stored into a temp file in the FFXI folder, there's like 20 different text files, that is what the Parser uses when it is trying to parse stuff.

The logs the GMs have are separate from this, as they can go a lot further back than we can with the temp logs we have (they are very limited).

However if it is bleeding on to your mule, the GM can see this from their logs since they see what your character does, so if anyone decides to GM call your mule you're in trouble.

But unless you do something to get in trouble you should be fine

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

thats just local stuff, it wont affect what GM's see, unless GM's can peek into your logs.

I would assume that whenever a chat message is sent out, it is first saved on the server (somewhere) before you get it. After you get the text message, nobody besides you can see what it says or where it was saved.

When a GM "checks" your chat log, they really just check stored messages on the server that were sent to your character. So no, they would not be able to see Robber Crab damage on your mule's chatlog, since the message was never sent directly to your mule they have no way of knowing that your client displayed the message accidentally.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

That's all local, or a lot more people would get owned by /echo.

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Let's illustrate.

Lmaonade hits the crab for 150 points of damage.

Engage message sent to server -> server begins delay calculation -> Server calculates damage -> Server sends damage to your client -> your client inserts the number into a predetermined format -> your client writes the message to the chat log files and tells it to display -> You go wtf at doing 150 damage on a crab.

Chat is the same, except that a copy is saved on the server linking it to a handle and the character ID. So no, a GM won't know.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

A GM has access to more than just straight Chat, how do you think they know who steals claims on mobs or CFHs them? That stuff shows up in logs they get too.