1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 23 hours, 52 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 0 hours, 7 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 16 hours, 52 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 17 hours, 7 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Party Play     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Party Play

I am a bit confused as to how SE wants us to PT, if ever.

My Experience:
    PT shouting for members for a PT to exp roam with. We end up with about 5 people, one of which is a Thau. We head out (From the level 10 camp) in search of prey that cons yellow.

We find Monkeys which con blue, and we kill them with spam, no need for a tank/healing/any thought at all. In search of harder prey we come upon level 50+ crabs and a frog that one-shots a member.

At this point I do some digging on the wiki and find that the next hardest thing for us to fight (Bit harder than monkies, but under level 40) are the river crabs around various rivers in the forest. We walk 15m to get to one camp of those, only to find they con blue for some member, red for others, and 1-2 shot everyone in the PT.

It seems there are artificial damage bonuses given to mobs of higher level, this bonus means that anything too high will one-shot you, and anything too low will die to thoughtless spam.

Am I doing it wrong?

Did I miss the part where SE does not want us to XP party as a viable alternative to solo grinding?

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Carraway Author
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Odin

As far as I can tell, the design decision meant to incentivize party play is the ability to participate in others' levequests. However, leve-sharing (initiating a leve will complete that leve for any other party members who have it) and the fact that leve mobs tend to have much less HP than their non-leve equivalents kind of kill party experience. It seems like the only real way to gain experience in a party is to group-grind, but as you've noticed, you basically just roam and mindlessly slaughter things, which may be slower than solo-grinding for some classes.

Honestly, i have no idea what Square wants to do with this game.

They turned the conventional FF11 party mechanics and turned it upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by lancaster View Post
    you basically just roam and mindlessly slaughter things, which may be slower than solo-grinding for some classes.
    I had hoped to find some content(ment) in group leveling. However I guess there really is nothing to do in 14 but solo grind for the time being.

SE, I am dissapoint.

Can anyone speak on PArty mechanics on 11s launch?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Lower level party mechanics were bad. Valkurm Dunes was infamous for it. Hate control was non-existent, there was no MP or HP management, it was just spam damage and cures as much as possible, rest. Once you got to 20 or so it got significantly better. We could just all be sucking terribly I suppose.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nama Kemono
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Few issues with parties.
    Party leader has to be present to claim a monster. If they are not present you gain no skill, exp or items.
    You have to hit a monster to receive exp from kill, if a party member kills it before that you get no exp.
    Way mobs strength con by party strength is out of wack. Green ladybug oneshot my entire party. Random way things con might be because of varying levels of party members on top of it needing adjustment to begin with.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xenor Vernix
    FFXIV Server
    Ragnarok

I think beta testers could have done more to improve party play. People barely talked in beta, nevermind partied. But maybe SE just ignored feedback on it.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Nama View Post
    You have to hit a monster to receive exp from kill, if a party member kills it before that you get no exp.
    This is false, but you don't get exp from kiliing yellows. So if you engage and aggro an add, and someone deals with the add while you stay on the red (thus keeping the add yellow due to a bug)... you all won't get any exp from it. Maybe that's what you're misconstruing.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    I think beta testers could have done more to improve party play. People barely talked in beta, nevermind partied. But maybe SE just ignored feedback on it.
    Didn't help that anyone the beta'd after phase 2 could not use the beta foruna either. That was fucking retarded on their part since the amount of players skyrocketed in open beta.

Yeah, I really don't know what they were thinking, it's pretty much a solo grind like WoW except with 1000 times less variety in quests. It's like, the reason I even liked MMOs like FFXI is because they encourage grouping as you level, not just at the level cap... what makes these games fun is that you play with other people, as single player games (which is what you're doing when you're solo grinding) they are complete failures.

New Odin
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kylewhataru View Post
    Yeah, I really don't know what they were thinking
    The GL system, when working, would mean much more group based progression. Thats what they were thinking.

But as long as it's not functioning correctly, it's not going to happen.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nama Kemono
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Celeras View Post
    This is false, but you don't get exp from kiliing yellows. So if you engage and aggro an add, and someone deals with the add while you stay on the red (thus keeping the add yellow due to a bug)... you all won't get any exp from it. Maybe that's what you're misconstruing.
    Hmmm thats probably what was happening. From what I can tell you can only keep claim on one party of mobs at a time. So if a group splits up to deal with threats can end up killing say 6 mobs and getting only 1-3 worth of exp which is what happened to us. I do know the party leader needs to be present and/or can glitch claiming process when not present. I joined a party in Gridana to chat to friends then teleported to Ul'dah to go kill things and could not get exp skill or items from regular and leve mobs till I dropped party.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nama Kemono
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

bah lag double post~

Just because a mob cons "blue" as you put it in a group does not mean it is not going to wipe you either, we went against a "blue" slug as duo and got our asses handed too us by some crazy 500 aoe, blue mobs can be fine to level up on in a group because it goes by an average, so a blue mob with 3 could be a yellow or even orange mob solo. So i don't see what the problem with killing anything blue was?

Also there are dungeons or whatever which i am sure will need a group to do successfully. The leves for them start at 30 however.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

I was in a party (Glad/Conj/Tham, all around 12) killing nanny goats in La Noscea that was giving pretty good skill. The server was extremely laggy at the time and we simply couldn't kill them as quickly as we would been able to without the lag. We couldn't use our stamina fast enough and were always near full. In addition, my HP bar wasn't updating for the THA and on occasion the goat's knockback would cause targeting issues, such as the time it appeared to them that I got knocked through a cave wall. Without the lag we could have been able to use our stamina fully and wouldn't have had the other issues. I think we would have been doing well for skill gain. I'm looking forward to trying it again.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

To people complaining about grouping.. it seems like an extreme case of 'doing it wrong' imo. I've done quite a few leve groups, and they all give better skill than if I were to do the leves solo. Just did a single Behest with around ~10 people and netted a solid 7k by the time it was over, no aspect. Haven't done any groups outside leves besides the occasional single nuisance.. so I won't comment on that. But at the very least, grouping is superior to solo as far as leves are concerned.

Speculation:
    ---
    Exceptions being leves youve overleveled, and attempt to make more difficult by increasing stars. Because from what I can see, you don't necessarily get better skill-ups from 5 stars as opposed to one.. but rather the mobs just get more HP/hit harder/more EXP(?cant confirm if they actually give more EXP either?). Example being tranquil leves, did Megalocrabs on 1 star. It was a decent challenge but manageable, nobody died and blew through it. Got good skill, maybe 3-4k averaged for all of us when it was over. Next leve, bees. We knew it was going to be weak(soloed it prior two levels earlier, mobs died in few hits), so did 5 stars. Overshot, too hard, a lot of deaths.. but we still managed to kill everything. Many of the melee didn't get a single skill by the time it was done.
    ---

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

The way I look @ it is SE always has encouraged party play and I believe they want people to party in XIV, but they also want it to be more casual and allow more solo play. I think a lot of things need tweaking and its still only day 3 of the game, solid party play will show up in the near future after the players and SE get a good pattern going.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    The Underbog

Guildleves work the best in parties, and also a lower ranked person can link up with someone's ranked 10 plus levequest, put it on 2 stars and get a ton of skillups and good money.

Lyramion's better half
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Hopefulki Nozomi
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Honestly, 3 seems like the magic number, at least in my experience. Solo grinding 20+ is like punching yourself in the nuts, I've been trioing as Archer w/ a Conj and Thau and it goes a hell of a lot faster. Grinding still blows 20+, skill points are insanely inconsistent, but less than 3 seems hard to kill the good mobs, more than 3 is too much damage.

Also, if your situation allows it, conj, thau and DD seems to be a pro combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyan View Post
    The GL system, when working, would mean much more group based progression. Thats what they were thinking.

But as long as it's not functioning correctly, it's not going to happen.
    The guild leve system right now just sucks major balls. I don't bother with leves unless I go for the crafting ones or ones with really nice rewards I just can't pass up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast