+ Reply to Thread
    Sea Torques
    BG Level

how do you ground yourself?

Before assembling your computer parts, how do you ground yourself?

People suggests that i should buy an anti static wrist trap, but someone suggests i just need to touch the power supply or the computer case.

So how do you ground yourself before working/upgrading your computer party?

Canada
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mlle Skjie
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

really, I do it on a flat clean surface not on carpet with bare arms and just touch the case. In front of clients I use a antistatic bracelet.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Just keep the computer plugged in, turn the power supply off by its switch, and keep one hand in contact with a bare metal part of the case (with no paint or anything on it). As long as your outlet is grounded (and it damn well should be), you will be fine.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Get off carpet (and remove socks), anti-static wrist strap, touch the PSU before touching anything important.

Not all of that is necessary, but I am overly cautious I guess.

i never did any of that, built my computer on carpet, using a magnetic screwdriver. I've built so many, i really don't care anymore haha.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I used a magnetic screwdriver for those hard-to-reach mobo screws. =P Being able to attach the screw to the driver before putting your hand in the case is invaluable!

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by The_OG_Nelta View Post
    i never did any of that, built my computer on carpet, using a magnetic screwdriver. I've built so many, i really don't care anymore haha.
    Yeah, I'm the same way. I've had my computer on everything from a bed to a sofa. I'm not recommending that, of course. However, I must advise people to not be too overly worried about working on one. As long as you obey the bare minimum precautions (power supply turned off, PC grounded), you will be fine. The rest is extra security for you and your components.

BEAHCAT
    BOSTON'S FINEST

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mith Lothaire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Kohan View Post
    Yeah, I'm the same way. I've had my computer on everything from a bed to a sofa. I'm not recommending that, of course. However, I must advise people to not be too overly worried about working on one. As long as you obey the bare minimum precautions (power supply turned off, PC grounded), you will be fine. The rest is extra security for you and your components.
    ya, I do all my work on a bed or carpet.......

Too many PC repairs/builds to count...and I've only had one fried hard drive (but that hard drive was on its way out to begin with, really cant say if any static fried the drive)

All the PC's i've ever built were on carpet/bed with not static guards, i just touch a PC case if i'm concerned at all :3

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Built my last on carpet, if it could have been easily fried it would have been. I touched all the wrong places and shuffled around alot lol. Touch the PSU and the case and keep in contact you should be fine.