Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blacksmithing     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Blacksmithing

I've been digging around at a friends suggestion. They are 95 Blacksmithing and currently I'm 68 and climbing. But once he found I was leveling it, he suggested I change professions. lol

And after seeing a lot of evidence of profitable synths far and few between I am inclined to believe him.

A lot of people seem to consider Haubergeon a money synth, and it doesnt seem to be. And there aren't really any good synths in the lower levels that can be used to make decent money off of. At least not anymore. Unless I'm blind. There do seem to be some synths that would be good to do. Smaller profit but if you did them steadily they would be okay. It just seems like a lot of the smithing gear is being outdone with ex gear and bc drops or some such.

Would it really be worth it to continue my way upwards to 100? Or would it be more lucrative to take up Clothing or Goldsmithing?

I have Clothing 54/Leather 60/Goldsmithing 34/Alchemy/30

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

This will get you a lot of responses saying, "All crafts suck now... just forget about it."

Other people will say that anything is profitable if you are patient and plan your synths based on what is available, etc.

Smithing, Cloth, Bone, Leather... they're all gilsinks until 100. Then you'd take a long time to get the gil back regardless.

Black Belt
    BG Level

i wouldn't say forget about it but if you're crafting now, you should be doing it with the mentality of just wanting to get something to 100 and signing stuff for people.

crafting for profit is not what it used to be.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Yeah, my original reason for crafting was for signing my own gear.

Have DRK and PLD up in the 70s so I wanted to be able to make my own Thick and Adaman gear and also for friends. But also wanted to be able to make some money.

I guess I will tough it out. It's mainly for stuff *I* I want anyway. But I guess it'd be a bit more comforting to know that I can make money when I want.

Right now I do steady synths of steel ingots at a cheap price and sell them fairly well. They just take a bit to sell. So its slow but steady income.

Thanks for the responses so far though.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

heres why your friend doesnt want you lvling smithing...
    COMPETITION

thats just one other person to have to compete against for sales.

I'm 100 smithing. I made 6mil yesterday on synths that do not even require 100 to make. There are items out there, you just have to look.
    And also on my server haubergeon is still profit if you go 0/10 HQ, and break 2 ingots+ (shiva)

edit for correctness

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by noremorse
    I'm 100 smithing. I made 6mil yesterday on synths that do not even require 100 to make. There are items out there, you just have to look.
    And also on my server haubergeon is still profit if you go 0/10 NQ, and break 2 ingots+ (shiva)
    Asume you mean 0/10HQ. So that means NQ is 600k profit if the D ingot is 3mil? Hard to believe. :/

Yea sorry should clarify. HQ is 16M currently. Ingots are 2.7M

you can break a few ingots, NQ 10 or so, then HQ one, and still profit.

NQ are selling at around 2.7, so around 250k loss per.

2.7 x 2 + 250k x 10 = roughly 8M. Still quite some profit if you break a few ingots, and NQ a bunch.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

0/18 hq haub ftl..... smithing gets me lots of white boxes lol, but none of it sells anytime soon.

preachy and pretentious
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So I have access to a character with 100+2 smithing. He's naked with no gil whatsoever. It's a lvl 75 drk. Here's the zam part. I need credit to get credit. I need gil to make gil. sucks balls.

High skill is a self-ignition process. Go /THF (he did level THF, right?) and hack up a bunch of Quadrav for backplates, or Anticans for pauldrons. Desynth. That'll get you started. Then just move your way through tier 51 synths for a while- if he has CP, odds are you can spend some, snag a few items to try and HQ, and build up some cash doing so.

The answer is crafting (smithing included) is not dead. It definitely requires more brains to pick out profitable recipes, though.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by noremorse
    And also on my server haubergeon is still profit if you go 0/10 HQ, and break 2 ingots+ (shiva)

edit for correctness
    2/50 with 3 breaks. I'm still in the black.

Haubys seem to fluctuate between small loss and break even if you know when to buy. There are several things to make that are good money, however, luck always plays a role. Unfortunately I don't have very good luck.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

70=100

need some ideas to get from 70=100,,, got any?.

Re: 70=100

Quote Originally Posted by Gorion
    Try making stuff that caps above your current skill.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Well I hit 70 over the weekend.

I'll be going from 70-79 on Karimata Arrowheads. I can get the materials fairly easily. The Tama-hagane is fairly cheap.

Also, I'm checking if a woodcrafting friend of mine will be wanting any of these. Hopefully he does so we can just absorb the cost at the same time.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

thx for the smart ass answer... of course anything over my lvl... but maybe you have somr helpful hints... or just wisecracks

Septislut Sexy Brigade
    BG Level

same as all crafts....check the list of possible synths.....look at the economy of the server and go what u think if the cheapest synth for you/ whats gonna give u the best skillups.

research will help a lot

Quote Originally Posted by marius
    same as all crafts....check the list of possible synths.....look at the economy of the server and go what u think if the cheapest synth for you/ whats gonna give u the best skillups.

research will help a lot
    I can't stress that enough...go with economy so you don't bust the bank.

Re: 70=100

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorion
    Try making stuff that caps above your current skill.

Genius!

HQ haubs dropped from 16 million to 7 million on Alexander in about 6 sales. Our server is flooded with blacksmiths, none of whom can see past Haub for profit synths.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coffee Time
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I wish I could buy an HQ haub for that cheap... still hovering around 14-16mil on Ramuh.