+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Dragon Quest IX! BIG SURPRISE ITT

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155838

AND ITS ON THE MUTHAFUCKIN DS

EDIT: Link fix'd

I saw that too. Pretty pumped. Probably a long way off yet, but still awesome .

In other DS rpg news, I started playing FFIII and I have a question.
    I just left Castle Sasune and I am supposed to go to the Sealed Cave to save Sara and get the Mythril Ring. All my characters are like level 3 and just got fucking raped. Is a lot of this game having to level up for a while before tackling dungeons? What level should I be before attempting the Sealed Cave?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Grizzly Hills

That's...pretty sexy. 8)

Two words: DS limitations

What the fuck is up with the Japanese and limiting their game potential's by bringing them to an inferior platform? Oh well, guess it will still be a buy to play but not expect alot from it.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Grizzly Hills

Quote Originally Posted by othellojr

What the fuck is up with the Japanese and limiting their game potential's by bringing them to an inferior platform? Oh well, guess it will still be a buy to play but not expect alot from it.
    The DS totally dominating the JP market might have something to do with that. For being so "limiting" and "inferior" it's sure kicking the crap outta everything else...

Quote Originally Posted by Po
    In other DS rpg news, I started playing FFIII and I have a question.
    I just left Castle Sasune and I am supposed to go to the Sealed Cave to save Sara and get the Mythril Ring. All my characters are like level 3 and just got fucking raped. Is a lot of this game having to level up for a while before tackling dungeons? What level should I be before attempting the Sealed Cave?
    I can't remember cave names, but I remember this one cave where the monster almost one shottted me. I fled, and havn't been back to that cave since (I just got access to job changing, so I'm not too far ahead of you).

Completely different capabilities and the only current platform with a large installed base means DS is the way to go.

http://media.1up.com/media?id=3121942

Its not ugly by any stretch either.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I didn't play any of the ones before DQ8, but I really enjoyed it (tbh, bought it for FFXII demo, and ended up really liking the game <.<). I can't wait for DQ9, looks pretty good on the DS too.

Quote Originally Posted by bebeci
    I can't remember cave names, but I remember this one cave where the monster almost one shottted me. I fled, and havn't been back to that cave since (I just got access to job changing, so I'm not too far ahead of you).
    Yea I left the castle and I'm supposed to go to that Cave next, I haven't gotten job changing yet.

As far as the DS being inferior, take a look at these US sales numbers. These are for November:
    DS - 918,000
    PS2 - 664,000
    GBA - 641,000
    360 - 511,000
    Wii - 476,000
    PSP - 411,900
    PS3 - 197,000
    Square wants their games to be played, so I think its no-brainer to put it on the hottest selling console their is.
    Source

Sounds pretty sweet, anyword yet on a release date?

Xavier

If graphics are the true display of a games potential to you, then I'm sorry.

The DS is this unstopable freight train in Japan right now, completely, utterly kicking the crap out of all its competitors. The PSP is a distant joke at this point.

The system isn't even that "inferior", its capable of pretty nice graphics for a handheld, and remember, its a handheld.

As far as the DS being inferior, take a look at these US sales numbers. These are for November:
    DS - 918,000
    PS2 - 664,000
    GBA - 641,000
    360 - 511,000
    Wii - 476,000
    PSP - 411,900
    PS3 - 197,000
    Square wants their games to be played, so I think its no-brainer to put it on the hottest selling console their is.
    I find it kind of...funny I guess is the word, that three times as many PS2s were sold as PS3 in the month of November...

Moreso that the GBA...outsold the 360 at this stage.

If you look at it by company, Nintendo sold 2,035,000 total systems, 1,272,900 from Sony, and 511,000 from Microsoft,

There's clearly a company dominating the market right now, and the most dominate "system" is the DS. The sales in Japan are even more skewed in favor of the DS compared to this American list too lol.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

The Phantom Hourglass (Zelda Wind Waker sequel) looks just as good as it did on the gamecube, so i'm sure that square can do the same with DQ9.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklemonkey
    Sounds pretty sweet, anyword yet on a release date?
    The article I read just said his goal is to get it out in "2007".

Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by The-Magicbox
    Here are the latest Japanese console hardware sales for the week of Nov 27 - Dec 3:

Wii - 350,358
    DS Lite - 176,901
    PlayStation 3 - 31,436
    PSP - 23,917
    PlayStation 2 - 23,115
    Xbox 360 - 4,053
    GBA SP - 1,572
    GB Micro - 1,252
    GameCube - 821
    Nintendo DS - 140
    GBA - 22
    Xbox - 11
    I wouldn't want to exactly, um, claim victory for anyone, but I'd definitely say we're about to see a market turn around, at least to some degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier
    I wouldn't want to exactly, um, claim victory for anyone, but I'd definitely say we're about to see a market turn around, at least to some degree.
    When I was reading the article I saw about this on 1up, the director or producer or whatever of the new Dragon Quest game he said the reason that he was putting it on the DS was sort of a nod to Nintendo as opposed to Sony as far as their market plans for this new generation.
    What that made me think was maybe the other Square games (FFXIII anyone?) might come to Wii instead of PS3.. I know it is a longshot, and would not really happen, but if not XIII then maybe the next installment after it coming to Nintendo.
    Would be cool.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Grizzly Hills

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Magicbox
    Here are the latest Japanese console hardware sales for the week of Nov 27 - Dec 3:

Wii - 350,358
    DS Lite - 176,901
    PlayStation 3 - 31,436
    PSP - 23,917
    PlayStation 2 - 23,115
    Xbox 360 - 4,053
    GBA SP - 1,572
    GB Micro - 1,252
    GameCube - 821
    Nintendo DS - 140
    GBA - 22
    Xbox - 11
    Those numbers are very amusing, especially when you consider who is losing money with every system sale and who isn't, who is relying on games sales alone, and who isn't.

As for FFXIII, honestly, while the Wii is more powerful than most give it credit for, I'm not sure if it's "that" powerful, for the CGs and voices and everything else. I want *some* stuff to come to the PS3, what is it going to have if it doesn't get the RPGs, lol? That's what I bought my Ps2 for after all.

Yea I know, thats what I was thinking as well. And thats why at the end of my statement I said but probably not, but maybe for the next generation.
    Like maybe hypothetically SE decides to go in a new direction for XIV and instead of focusing of bonerific graphics they go in some sort of a fully motion capable direction.
    I am just speculating, but from the trend of the DQ developer, it is something to think about.

What will likely happen is if PS3 bombs game serieses will be reinvented and the money that normally would be spent on graphics would either be pocketed or spent on gameplay refinement.

But if there were more PS3s ACTUALLY AVAILABLE, would we still have this situation? Not so sure... But still, Wii seems to be doing VERY well for being so 'doomed to failure'.

I just wish I could find one...

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Grizzly Hills

Quote Originally Posted by Po
    Yea I know, thats what I was thinking as well. And thats why at the end of my statement I said but probably not, but maybe for the next generation.
    Like maybe hypothetically SE decides to go in a new direction for XIV and instead of focusing of bonerific graphics they go in some sort of a fully motion capable direction.
    I am just speculating, but from the trend of the DQ developer, it is something to think about.
    it is. As much as I lurve the FF visuals, I am there for the story. Just because the Wii graphics are worse than the Ps3 and Xbox360 doesn't make them bad, but they definitely aren't as good. Maybe they could do something like they tried to do with the 64 DD, lol? That never even came out here, and i can't imagine it did well at all in Japan either, but I don't know...I prefer both graphics and gameplay of course, but I know that if I have to pick one of the other....

Quote Originally Posted by zakhiel
    But if there were more PS3s ACTUALLY AVAILABLE, would we still have this situation? Not so sure... But still, Wii seems to be doing VERY well for being so 'doomed to failure'.

I just wish I could find one...
    I've heard more complaints about lack of Wiis than Ps3s, to be honest. Like I said before, the 20 GB ones are still collecting dust at my local best buy (I live in the indy area, check out the one by Greenwood mall if you want one)

I don't understand why they decided to release so few when they need the game sales to make the profits, and people aren't gonna buy than many when there aren't systems to play them on. I also don't understand why they released a good FPS game and basically nothing else when most FPS fans already are obsessed with Xbox360 (Gears of War totally stole Resistance's thunder, and Xbox360 has been out a year with other good games and stuff to boot, for cheaper). They would have done so much better if they had released a good RPG or two. I'm still bitter about it, I mean, I can ACTUALLY BUY ONE!!!111, and I don't want to because the games are meh...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast