+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Vacht

Christianity gets me through the day...

ok?

The funny part is

# Becoming aware of how much you complain is the first step to stopping. For the next 24 hours, keep track of every complaint that comes out of your mouth. When you look back, you will be absolutely amazed. You also want to keep track of the negative thoughts that continually run through your mind. Your mouth follows whatever is going on in your thoughts, so go directly to the source.

# Start saying positive, life affirming stuff on purpose. The only way to replace all that negative stuff is to deliberately program the right stuff in to replace it. It's going to take some practice, but pretty soon it will become habit for you to find the positive, to avoid the negative, and to eliminate your urge to complain.

# Distance yourself from people who live to complain. It's too easy to fall back into old habits, so it's absolutely necessary to surround yourself with people who don't live for the negative. They might not like it, and they probably won't understand. But your life will start to get better the sooner you eliminate complaining people from your life.
    Are all valid methods of overcoming all sorts of destructive behaviors, such as depression, but were introduced by the psychological, not the theological, community first.

Ridill
    BG Level

Yeah man, silly bastards thinking they can take the basics founded by AA and associate them with some kind of religious background.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Pirian View Post
    The funny part is

Are all valid methods of overcoming all sorts of destructive behaviors, such as depression, but were introduced by the psychological, not the theological, community first.
    I would disagree. I think the Bible offers all sorts of things like that that came out well before psychology was even "invented".

Jesus is a fairly good role model for the second one fairly clearly, he was a pretty positive guy based on scripture.

What is prayer? Self-meditation.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Prayer isn't really self-meditation. Based on the scripture of "Love him or burn in hell, dammit", prayer is reaffirming your adoration for God, essentially. Don't believe otherwise, or you'll burn in hell, dammit.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

What is "self-meditation" as opposed to garden variety meditation?

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

I look at my checking/savings account to get me through the day. Then I have a hardy laugh to myself on how I'm doing a lot better then most military pay dependent personnel's due to my stock portfolio. The only real deity of currency eases my calm when I go to sleep.

lol@religifags.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya

BG Level

lol@ E-5's and E-6's. I feel bad for them, they get the shitty end of the stick in the military.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

lol

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Sometimes people complain simply to gain attention. Bad attention is better than none, and it's just a way to get others to notice. What a sad commentary on the way we connect to one another.
    Start saying positive, life affirming stuff on purpose.
    Instead of being an insufferable complainer, be insufferably chipper instead! This way, you can still annoy the people around you while feeling good about yourself.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Lucavi View Post
    Prayer isn't really self-meditation. Based on the scripture of "Love him or burn in hell, dammit", prayer is reaffirming your adoration for God, essentially. Don't believe otherwise, or you'll burn in hell, dammit.
    Surely you are looking at this fairly and with absolutely no bias or negative thoughts, lol. You realize that very few religions have a "love him or burn in hell, damnit" type of sermon? I've actually never heard such a line in any of the Churches I've attended (admittedly that's not a large variety of Churches though). And even in such cases that you can break things down to that exact line, that's not how most of the people view things, so that's not the basis of their motivations.

Many people view personal prayer as a way to unwind and direct their worries to God. Which is essentially using God as who you complain to, which predates going to your shrink and telling them all your worries and concerns. And Jesus does, imo, a good job of showing someone how to live a positive healthy life. I'm sure there will be some unfair joke about how Jesus got himself killed and thus didn't live a very healthy life, but I don't generally engage in religious discussions for long anyway so no worries!

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Alleya View Post
    Instead of being an insufferable complainer, be insufferably chipper instead! This way, you can still annoy the people around you while feeling good about yourself.
    This is one of the best ways to troll people IRL.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglestrike View Post
    Surely you are looking at this fairly and with absolutely no bias or negative thoughts, lol. You realize that very few religions have a "love him or burn in hell, damnit" type of sermon? I've actually never heard such a line in any of the Churches I've attended (admittedly that's not a large variety of Churches though).
    My father follows in the "love him or burn in hell" dogma, and makes sure my Jewish (well not anything really, but as far as he knows I'm Jewish) ass knows that unless I accept Christ then I'll burn in hell, lol. His emails really are funny, but they're in good intention and he is my father, so I overlook it and shrug him off instead of ignoring him outright. He's part of a pretty small church though. I went with him to church while visiting him a few years ago and he was in one of those "healing touch" churches where the priest gets in your face and yells then hits you and you fall to the ground "under the power of Christ!" It really took everything I had in order not to burst out laughing at this foreign practice. In before cool story bro

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Pretty sure they mean self medication.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

My father follows in the "love him or burn in hell" dogma, and makes sure my Jewish (well not anything really, but as far as he knows I'm Jewish) ass knows that unless I accept Christ then I'll burn in hell, lol. His emails really are funny, but they're in good intention and he is my father, so I overlook it and shrug him off instead of ignoring him outright. He's part of a pretty small church though. I went with him to church while visiting him a few years ago and he was in one of those "healing touch" churches where the priest gets in your face and yells then hits you and you fall to the ground "under the power of Christ!" It really took everything I had in order not to burst out laughing at this foreign practice. In before cool story bro
    lol...I feel the same way about such a church

Old Merits
    BG Level

Haters gonna hate, on both sides.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwkP7Gnp7ek

I laughed when I watched the movie and this scene came up.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Cadsuane View Post
    Meditation is a way of calming the mind, nothing more. Christianity does not practice "real" meditation, but there are ways to meditate without formally sitting down in a lotus position. Simply being aware of what you are doing in the moment, watching your breath (without forcing yourself to breathe), would be a "garden variety" form of meditation. Prayer would barely be called meditation in my book, but whatever works.

Certified Enhancement Shaman
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meph Taru
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Sqwunk View Post
    youtubevid
    Ive always wondered what he tells him at the end of the clip. anyone knows?