+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Pokémon Scarlet - Pokémon Violet (November 18, 2022) [NSW]

Announcement Trailer

Here we go again, gang. Confirmed open world. PLA was a beta test for Gen IX.
    Given the locales and the starter names, we appear to be in Europe still, lots of Spanish/Italian influence.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

What the. That's not something I was expecting to get today. Or anytime soon. Figured they'd be riding the Arceus train longer

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Least it looks better visually.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

I was kinda expecting it -- Gen 8 will be at three years by the time this comes out.

Ridill
    BG Level

So unless croc starter turns into a snake, Chinese zodiac is completely debunked?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Hey, Snivy became a snake, ya never know.

I'm generally disappointed, though. These are very lazy designs. We've seen these all before. We just had a cat starter, and (not exaggerating) this line will be the 27-29th feline mons overall now; there's already been a water bird starter, and this one is basically just Ducklett; gens 1 and 2 had respective fire reptile and crocodile starters, and Salandit and Sandile lines were already a thing.

Protags are pretty bland for this team of artists. Now 3 of the last 4 gens have been set in Europe. So quick to recycle old ideas and return to the "stable revenue" formula.

But far worse is they're still upscaling their garbage 3DS engine to Switch 1080p. Though I suppose with this dev pace, they haven't had time to discuss addressing the most universally scathing feedback of PLA. Anyway... round and round we go. Can't wait to buy it, etc.

Absolute Messenger of Promathia
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Can't wait for the cute Cat Grass Pokemon's final evolution to be a Bipedal Ripped Masculine Furry bait for some reason. Just give me a Puma or something, you know, a Cat but bigger, like...

Spoiler: show

Also I thought those were OC/Fan Art before I saw it was actually a legit Pokemon announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    So unless croc starter turns into a snake, Chinese zodiac is completely debunked?

Ridill
    BG Level

That dude’s videos get any better? I used to watch a lot of his stuff but then the majority of his videosjust started to become click-baity filler with no substance. Which is bound to happen when you’re trying to release a video almost every single day.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Souj View Post
    That dude’s videos get any better? I used to watch a lot of his stuff but then the majority of his videosjust started to become click-baity filler with no substance. Which is bound to happen when you’re trying to release a video almost every single day.
    I've watched maybe 4 of his videos. Every one linked to TerminalMontages' Pokemon BR videos, and the one above, so no clue :D. Im guessing he showed up in my suggested videos entirely because I watched the ones linked to TerminalMontage.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    Least it looks better visually.
    I think the character designs suck. The kids dont look like pokemon protagonists to me.

Idk... this seems like a kinda underwhelming debut compared to sword/shield.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

It's been suggested the protag outfits are so bland because they're some sort of school/academy uniforms that most youths will be wearing.
    This is the first game in a hot minute where they're supposed to be 10-11 year olds again.
    • FRLG Red/Leaf: 11
    • HGSS Ethan/Lyra: 11-12
    • ORAS Brendan/May: 12-13
    • DPPt Lucas/Dawn: ~11
    • BW Hilbert/Hilda: 14
    • BW2 Nate/Rosa: 16
    • XY Calem/Serena: 17-18
    • SM Elio/Selene: 11
    • SWSH Victor/Gloria: ~13
    • PLA Rei/Akari: 15

It's also been noted that the ring of floor tiles in the central plaza of this city...

Spoiler: show

... more or less confirms that there is no new Type in Gen IX.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by carlweathers View Post
    Isn't part of that because Sword/Shield was the first to make the Switch gen graphical leap? Kinda hard to replicate that feeling every time

Quote Originally Posted by BWYuko View Post
    ... more or less confirms that there is no new Type in Gen IX.
    I'm okay with this. I don't think pokemon needs any more types

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Blaise Destin
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by carlweathers View Post
    I think the character designs suck. The kids dont look like pokemon protagonists to me.

I mean, that might partially be because they look like the Male/Female are using the exact same face/model in the pictures up there lol. The only distinguishing feature between them is the hair. They're very samey.

Also as far as graphics go, Idk if I'd call them good, but they're 'okay' by Pokemon standards. By normal games, nah, that yellow house looks like it failed to load the "Up Close" model and is still running the "Far away/Low Resource" version. Those windows look like a blurry Jpeg spread over a wall.

Ridill
    BG Level

Yeah, I don’t need a new type, either.
    My wish list (which none of this will happen) would be:

1. Bring back Mega Evolutions. They can be tweaked a bit from the original, but I really liked Mega.
    2. A difficulty mode. Even if it’s just giving trainers more Pokémon.
    3. A complete rebalance of a lot of the more “useless” Pokémon. I know unofficial tournaments have their tiers, but the vast majority of the population doesn’t care. A couple extra points in stats, a wider movepool, maybe a new ability or two, wouldn’t be that hard.
    4. I’d love some sort of toggle where you can turn on/off double battles. Like, the game has so much more strategy in doubles. Also; no more flying only battles.
    5. An Eevee counterpart. I’m on board the theory Eevee evolutions are only for “elemental/magical types” so how about a physics attribute version?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Mega evolutions were definitely my favorite gimmick that i wish kept going too. Made some less useful Pokemon more useful.

BG Content
    BG Level
    Blog Entries

I'll admit that my perspective is different than people who don't engage with the competitive side, but I think Dynamax is a far superior system to Mega Evolution. In addition to being able to dynamax anything, there was also a strategy element because it could be used to provide added benefits to the rest of your team/additional effects.

Also, unless they make all stones easily accessible (which, let's be honest, they won't), it makes things less accessible and goes back to the realm of making things dependent on which version you get (you can't transfer items through Home, so it'd all be tied to these games). Apart from Zacian and Zamazenta (which, admittedly, ended up being pretty significant since Zacian is amazing and Zamazenta is very much not..), there was nothing in Gen 8 that players were restricted from getting regardless of which version you had which made trying/building competitive teams so much easier. In terms of accessibility and customization, I think the only real request that Gen 8 was missing was being able to reduce a pokemon's IVs.

I trusted Zet and this is what happened
    Eleven owes me $40 bucks

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kaslo Essyx
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Yeah, I'd love to see a higher difficulty mode in Pokemon. I'm not a serious competitive player.... but with the advent of xp share, going up to a 3rd gym leader, several hours into the game and they have like 3 pokemon....that sucks.

I wonder if there's going to be a weird gimmick mechanic for this game as well.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

We don't have a thread for the anime so I thought I'd post this here since it's a milestone.
    With his victory over Raihan in today's episode, after 25 years as a 10 year old, our boy Ash has entered the Master Class rankings, the world's top 8 trainers.

These days he's running Mega Lucario, Gigantamax Gengar, Dragonite, Sirfetch'd, Dracovish, and the rat (who can also Gigantamax or use any of 4 Z-moves).

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

+ Reply to Thread