+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flight Question Thread?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

If I screw up again Im gone forever.
    Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Flight Question Thread?

Okay so... gonna ask here whatever I guess we can make a random airline flight question thread? Anyways, if I have a flight on July 14th, and I want to move it to the 8th, let's say, they are going to charge $150 + whatever the new flight costs. What's to stop me from just purchasing the new ticket and not paying the $150 anyways? This is a long and frustrating story about how a free (grant-based) flight is going to cost me fucking money.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

You can buy tickets whenever the fk you want lol. They can't do shit about that. If you can get a new flight cheaper than the fee, then go for it

I am by far the worst poster in most threads, including Olroy and Mazmaz. I go from 0 to Mad in 0.6 seconds. Also, 8==============D
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

would be surprised if either of you have even been on an airplane before

Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Tweek View Post
    would be surprised if either of you have even been on an airplane before
    I fly semi-frequently (4 times a year, at the least if not twice more for thanksgiving), however, I'm not a fucking retard at booking flights so I never have to change anything.

I am by far the worst poster in most threads, including Olroy and Mazmaz. I go from 0 to Mad in 0.6 seconds. Also, 8==============D
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

what do you mean what's to stop you? they're going to credit you back on the 1st ticket you won't be paying for a new ticket + a $150 fee. The reason they write that is because 1 ticket isn't always equal to another ticket. You're going to get a credit on the first one and pay the remaining balance if any on the second one + whatever change fee they implemented ($150 sounds high) If you just buy a new ticket you're going to have an extra ticket you won't use it will just be a waste.

Was it a web-only deal you got the first time? a lot will depend on the specific ticket type you bought originally and of course what airlines as different airlines have different policies. When you buy a web-only one through SouthWest let's say, you're kind of at their mercy, when booking a flight if there is any chance it could change you go up a tier and get the Anytimes or Business Selects

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

As Tweek said already, what they do is credit your current ticket towards the new cost and then on top of the balance you owe, charge you a ticket change fee. Now some airlines like southwest won't do that, they only charge the difference, but even with a ticket change fee, it still may be cheaper then buying a new ticket outright since costs go up the closer you are to departing. I ran into this a few years ago with my wife when she flew out for a visit and due to circumstances beyond our control, had to delay her departure by a week.

Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I don't feel like explaining the ENTIRE situation, so here's the e-mail she sent me about changing the flight. Note: This is from the lady handling the flight information/grant, not the airlines:

Quincy,

I apologize for the error. I'm in the process of booking flights for over
    25 people for this conference, this being the reason I asked everyone to
    please look at the itinerary carefully before giving me the okay to book
    the flights. There is a $150 change fee plus whatever the cost of the new
    schedule is. Since I had already gotten your confirmation that the flights
    were correct, you will need to go in and make the change, putting whatever
    charges you incur on your credit card.

Thank you,
    The "company" had me signed up for the wrong events, despite marking the appropriate checkboxes. I told her about this, she changed the itinerary to the correct dates as requested, I remind her I'm flying from FLL -> ROA -> NWK, I check itinerary (only really looked at the places, check with my prof. to ensure his budget can cover the ticket difference (because for some reason, the price difference in ticket from going back to FLL and going to NWK is $440, go fucking figure -- I can buy a ticket myself for 1/4 that), I tell her yes book the flight the costs are fine, get confirmation e-mail and realize she changed the dates again. Say it's wrong, get the above e-mail.

Sounds like bullshit to me. $150 to change the flight really? That's like a round trip ticket with Southwest for me (granted you're going further then I ever fly) but still that's a retarded charge for them to simply remove you from 1 flight and add you to a new one.

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Chun Liroy View Post
    I don't feel like explaining the ENTIRE situation, so here's the e-mail she sent me about changing the flight. Note: This is from the lady handling the flight information/grant, not the airlines:

The "company" had me signed up for the wrong events, despite marking the appropriate checkboxes. I told her about this, she changed the itinerary to the correct dates as requested, I remind her I'm flying from FLL -> ROA -> NWK, I check itinerary (only really looked at the places, check with my prof. to ensure his budget can cover the ticket difference (because for some reason, the price difference in ticket from going back to FLL and going to NWK is $440, go fucking figure -- I can buy a ticket myself for 1/4 that), I tell her yes book the flight the costs are fine, get confirmation e-mail and realize she changed the dates again. Say it's wrong, get the above e-mail.
    If you got records that she changed it on accident after you booked it, i'd send her another email saying fix it or your contacting your supervisor, and that should not have to pay a penalty due to her fuck up.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Meresgi View Post
    Sounds like bullshit to me. $150 to change the flight really? That's like a round trip ticket with Southwest for me (granted you're going further then I ever fly) but still that's a retarded charge for them to simply remove you from 1 flight and add you to a new one.
    you find plane tickets in the garbage?

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Dood do you go to the University of Phoenix or some shit? Your school sounds like ass.

Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Brill Weave View Post
    Dood do you go to the University of Phoenix or some shit? Your school sounds like ass.
    What does that have to do with a fellowship travel grant from an outside source.

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

My sister works for the University of Pittsburgh, they handle all the booking arrangements for their fellows. I thought that the same held true for most other universities. Apparently I'm mistaken.

Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'm going to a conference at virginia tech for my internship, and the travel award is through them. Doesn't have anything to do with my university, only virginia tech. Hmmm don't think I made that clear I forgive you brill.

Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Lol, so the reservation that they set up for me for the hotel only goes from the 5th - 8th... hil-fucking-larious. Goddamn this is so ridiculously incompetent.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Chun Liroy View Post
    Lol, so the reservation that they set up for me for the hotel only goes from the 5th - 8th... hil-fucking-larious. Goddamn this is so ridiculously incompetent.
    sounds 2 me like u gettn leroyed

So just don't go.

Secret Admin

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Airenn View Post
    So just don't go.
    Are you retarded?