+ Reply to Thread
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Football Tailgating Equipment

I got a few questions and now that there were many football fanatics here. Last two years I've set up some tailgates here but nothing too complex, just a few kegs, tents, beerpong tables, and a grill. I'm looking to get a TV out for next year and had some questions.

First, my GF is looking to buy a TV and she wants it to be able to be decent for watching outdoors so she can bring it to the tailgate (she's a keeper lol). I helped her pick out the best TV for her room but wasn't too sure how it would keep up outdoors. I suggested a 42 inch Panasonic Plasma (42PZ85u) but knew that plasmas don't hold up well as LCDs do in light. But is it really that big of a difference? Even if we had some plastic sheets we hang down from the tent to shield out the sun? I have the 50inch version of this TV and love it so I'd like her to enjoy it for 350 days out of the year when its not outside. Still get it or avoid plasmas at all costs in the sun?

Second, while I understand the satellite hook up, how do people usually pay for this? Do they just take the satellite dish they have at home and recalibrate it at the tailgate? Do they have a second dish they use for portable times? I have Charter Cable (not satellite) so do I have any other options? My parents have a satellite dish through DishNetwork at their mountain cabin so is their anyway I can utilize this?

Third, how do people usually power their TVs? I before have rented generators for $40/day (the Honda eu1000i) and its amazing. Quiet and fumeless and handled all our wattage needs. But I'd like to purchase something of my own instead of renting and know I'll be paying at least $700 for a used Honda. I also know people use Deep Cycle Marine batteries but don't know much in this area (what wattage they can handle, cost). Anybody use batteries to power TV/Satellite/speakers for music before game and have any tips?

Thanks for any input, I know its a lot to read.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

It's been a few years since I hardcore tailgated for my Louisville Cardinals, but I'll give you what I know.

Plasma vs. LCD outdoors are pretty similar in terms of quality in bright conditions. Plasmas are much heavier and also subject to damage easier when you move them. (In fact, several moving companies refuse to move them.) I'd suggest you look into companies that make TVs for pools, spas and the like. One such company is Sun Brite TV. They are usually more expensive, but can definitely pay off in the long run if you move them frequently as they are more robust to damage and are lightweight. Sun Brites are pretty well water-proofed too, so if it rains, or that beerpong table gets out of hand, you should be okay. One of the old men in the group we tailgated with bought a Sun Brite for his pool/hot-tub and would bring it to the games. It was really awesome.

In terms of signal, the people I know all had satellite and bought a 2nd dish. If you tell the dish company its for a second home and do a self install the monthly fee is usually $5-10 extra a month. I never set them up, but the guys that did it said it was pretty straightforward. There is also the same type of receiver that luxury cars/vans have to receive a satellite signal, but I know nothing about those in terms of cost or service options. However, if where you tailgate has wi-fi, and you have the proper PC hardware, that can be a pretty nice solution too.

Power...I'd go for the quiet Honda. It's a big investment, but man they are so nice. Other generators are so noisy. I've only seen people use the marine batteries. I never tried them myself. They look like too much work to me, and are heavy to lug around to boot. When you factor in the grilling equipment, tables, chairs, speakers, tv, tents, etc. weight and portability are what really make your setup sweet in the end.

Just a thought on the signal thing. If your team is the team that your local tv stations broadcast (example, i'm in central cal and fox broadcasts 49er games and cbs broadcast raiders), then you could just go off of an antenna since the signals will now be digital and it should look great, and free.