+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New pre-order thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

New pre-order thread

Since the old one was derailed to hell (literally) with some of that shit you people were posting.
    Anyway, I just called my local GameStop, and they said they would not be able to take pre-orders on the Wii or PS3 until Mid-October when they know how many they are getting. This somewhat makes sense, but then the weird thing was they said I could preorder the games.
    What do you guys think about this?
    Oh and also about the Best Buy thing, I never bought a brand new opening day system from them before, do they take pre-orders? And what are their policies?

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

GS/EB have 2 conferences a year, one in.. March I think, and October, and they are usually held on the first week of the month.

So, the dude is probably right in saying that they dont know how many systems they will be getting untill they go, but ive already preorded mine, its not like they wont get any systems. Maybe just because I know the manager.

Your best bet is to call BB and ask, ill be calling ToysRus myself to see if I can get another preorder there.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    ill be calling ToysRus myself to see if I can get another preorder there.
    When the ps2 hype was going on I was a slacker at preordering it. Until I heard that people who hadn't already preordered weren't going to get one for 3 months after the release. So I preordered mine through Toys R' Us hoping it wasn't as overordered as GS and EB. Turns out Toys R' Us was the only company allowed to ship out the day before so people could get it on the day of release. So while people were waiting inline for hours and hours to get their ps2 on opening day, I got mine while still in PJs delivered right to me. :D

You all know Toys R' Us was the best store when you were young. >.> I say promote it and preorder there than at GS and EB just because they only sell video games. >.>;

I'll definitely hit you up on the Toys R Us Ksandra. Thats a good idea. I actually just went to their site and they are not taking orders or anything at this point.
    Usually when I call BB about this they have no clue about it. I will just be so pissed if I don't get a Wii that Sunday.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Toys'R'Us, all the way. I'd just like to know where I can pre-order in the Santa Barbara, CA area besides the one shitty EBX we have...

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Bleh, just called ToysRus and they arnt taking reservations yet and dont know when theyll start.

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

I talked to the BB over here by my house last week about pre-order for Wii and PS3 pre-order and from what the head guy of the video game dept. said, they will be taking pre-orders around middle of Oct.(go go B-day!) They are pretty good about it too. The EB over here in TX are ran by un-trained monkeys or something.. half of them don't even play games, worse is that the manager said "we are't getting the Wii till next year" I called Bullshit on that

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

/ Currently an EB employee and been one for nearly 4 years

Yes you can pre-order the games but due to questionable allocation numbers we wont be taking pre-orders on the Wii or PS3 until we get clear numbers. The managers show conference is soon so Im sure by the first week of October we will know more.

Its safe to assume that EB/Gamestop wants to avoid what happened with the XBox 360. My store alone had pre-orders backed up past Feb. I think the company wants to avoid something like that happending again.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki
    / Currently an EB employee and been one for nearly 4 years.
    Coming from everyone whos ever worked at GS/EB, please gtfo while youre (still?) young.

Xavier

I got my ps2 on NA launch at the only place I could find a console still in stock (didn't preorder, don't like doing that, ends up screwing you over after you've already put down money and waiting for something to come in) was a Radio Shack, rofl.

Nobody would believe me that Radio Shack had PS2s in stock for some reason.

I'm not getting a PS3 (at launch), and I'm not worried about finding a Wii either. If Nintendo really does ship 4 million units worldwide at launch, there will be plenty to find.

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

never had a problem. I like my job. sure its retail and theres not much to like in a retail environment in most people's eyes, but I personally have had more good expericences then bad. I get paid a decent amount for part time work, babysitting a store, shooting the breeze and selling video games with primarily regular customers who all know me since Ive been there so long. I dont get much greif from the company since I do what Im told and I dont get much greif from customers since Ive been there so long. Dont see a reason to gtfo.

edit since i thought about this for a miniute:

Do I wish to make a career out of this? Nope. IMO to be a succesful retail manager or district manager you have to make it your life's work. From what Ive seen, all the way from managers to district and regional manager you need to commit most of your life to goals, work, and the company. The common theme seems to be that you need to lack any real life outside work in order to be the "ideal" retail manager in today's coperate world. Thats not for me, Im in school and plan on taking a different route where I can enjoy my work but have a real life and enjoy it.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    Bleh, just called ToysRus and they arnt taking reservations yet and dont know when theyll start.
    Doh :/

i asked the local EB store and the manager there said that trading in games was recommended but not required to make a reservation.

Official Nannyman of Nikkei's Harem
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I've been an employee of Toys R Us for a year now, in my store's video game department, and I have to say... even now that I've quit (my store's gone down the crapper in general), I'm still going to preorder my Wii there. Last year, I handled our 30 360 preorders, and we got the exact number we were told we were going to get, and unlike some stores, we actually had 360s in mid-December, waiting for the last couple of pre-orderers to collect.

Downside? We only had packages. Extra controller, three or six games.

However, last I heard, the word down from corporate was that they have no idea when they're going to start preorders, so don't hold your breath. I honestly don't expect them til mid October, at the earliest.

And TRU only does preorders with the specific cards they give us, and you do have to pay down (for this, expect US$30-50), so they can't just write your name in a book.

Just a little FYI from the non-EB/GS side.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Yes you can pre-order the games but due to questionable allocation numbers we wont be taking pre-orders on the Wii or PS3 until we get clear numbers. The managers show conference is soon so Im sure by the first week of October we will know more.

Its safe to assume that EB/Gamestop wants to avoid what happened with the XBox 360. My store alone had pre-orders backed up past Feb. I think the company wants to avoid something like that happending again.
    *waves hand* Ex EB employee here and this is true. The PS2 was bad enough, but it took a trainwreck the size of the 360 launch to make those morons in home office see that it did nothing but piss people off and lose money.

I wouldn't count of being able to just find one past launch day though. System launches always sell out and 4 million Wii's worldwide is nothing.
    What I hear is pretty much you can count on each store getting about 20-30 Wii's and when all of those are presold, that's it, your fucked, go somewhere else. Largely, home office is waiting on Nintendo to give them a number.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Sixtail

*waves hand* Ex EB employee here and this is true. The PS2 was bad enough, but it took a trainwreck the size of the 360 launch to make those morons in home office see that it did nothing but piss people off and lose money.

I wouldn't count of being able to just find one past launch day though. System launches always sell out and 4 million Wii's worldwide is nothing.
    What I hear is pretty much you can count on each store getting about 20-30 Wii's and when all of those are presold, that's it, your fucked, go somewhere else. Largely, home office is waiting on Nintendo to give them a number.
    and the shipment of expansions delayed by hurricanes!

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Minions
    Quote Originally Posted by Sixtail

and the shipment of expansions delayed by hurricanes!
    With the way the big shipping ops run, I truthfully see how a hurricane could fuck up shipments.