BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Dual-channel memory configuration

I have an older PC that I'm looking to add some memory to, and the mobo has 4 slots for dual-channel RAM. Currently, I have 2x 512MB of Kingston Value RAM in it, and want to upgrade to 2GB. Is it better to get an additional 2x 512MB of the same Kingston Value RAM, utilizing all 4 slots, or go with 2x 1GB of a better brand?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

What type of RAM is it? Is it something that you'd actually pay more for the same RAM as you already have, or is what you have already the "common" speed for that kind?
    It's not uncommon with older systems that you'd buy something over the spec that you really need (or will run it at) because the faster part is actually cheaper.

Kingston is a good brand. Obviously, ValueRAM isn't usually intended for overclocking and tweaking every last setting...but if you're running stock speeds and all, really, you're not going to change the class of system you have by buying "performance" RAM from a couple years ago.

IMO, buy a 2x 1GB kit and put it in with the Kingston stuff. I'm trying to remember if some chipsets only supported dual channel with 2x DIMMs and not 4x...could always check your motherboard documentation or something. Otherwise, why not go with 3GB instead of 2?

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Here's what's in there now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820141424. As mentioned, 2x 512MB of it.

The mobo is an ASUS P4P800, which supports up to 4GB. Everything in the box now is at clock speeds, and I don't have any intention of OCing any of it. I use the PC mainly for console emulation up to N64, and occasionally some older games like Diablo 2, Doom 3, FFXI.

If I were to get 2x 1GB in addition to the existing 2x 512MB, does it matter which slots I put the RAM in? For instance, should I put the 1GB sticks in slots A+C, and the others in B+D? Based on what I currently use the PC for, is 3GBs overkill? Actually, is 2GBs overkill?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

You'd install them in corresponding banks, which on that are the blue and the black slots.

Poking around, I've seen people report that the 3GB config does work. Others have said it's better to stick to one pair of DIMMs. I'd say that going with a 2GB kit is probably the safer bet, since if it doesn't happen to all work together, then the new set would still given an upgrade.

For what you do, eh, it's probably not a huge deal. 2GB is nice to have, 3GB doesn't tend to do a whole lot more. Given that a 2x1GB kit is like $40-50 though...I'd say you might as well. Unless you're looking at upgrading the whole thing soon, in which case that $50 could almost get you 4GB of PC800 for a new system.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

ram is cheap, and using all 4 of your ram banks has been known to cause instability issues in certain situations (strain on the NB causing excessive heat/instability, compatibility issues with certain SATA/RAID controllers, etc)

dump the two 512MB and buy a pair of 1GB ddr2 sticks, assuming your board supports ddr2

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Based on your recommendations, I think I'll be going with 2 sticks of this. I think that's the best I can do with my board, which is no less than 4 years old now.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Can't ever go wrong with Kingston memory, love mine.