+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Okami     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Okami

Okay so I figured that someone else would have made this thread already. Okami is an epic artistic masterpiece on many peoples standards, that is truly the Zelda for PS2.

I beat the game last week, did a ton of extra stuff, and absolutely L O V E D it. So if anyone is playing and is having any trouble let me know, cause I'll definitely be able to help you out.

I found some parts strikingly similar to Zelda (lol rainbow bridge), but they were all easily overlooked due to how much fun this game is. It was so good, soooooo good.

Is anyone else playing this game? Thoughts? Please discuss! I've wanted to talk about it forever but no one ended up making the thread.

With milk. With love
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

I am, and I agree with you 100%. The game is just sooo fucking beautiful on every level. Hands down, this just beats Zelda on every level.

I'm just curious though, how long did it take for you to beat the game (playtime wise)?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

I haven't completed everything (like 100 beads) but I think I had it at 36ish hours when I first got to the end area. I'm trying to go back through before I enter the ending area now (I had one save right before the end area, so I could beat the end then be able to go back and get all the stuff since you cant leave the end area once you're inside) and get all the beads, and new power slashes. So currently I have like 48 hours I think?

And it does not beat Zelda. At all. It is the most beautiful game I've ever played though, hands down. But beat Zelda? Just...no.

Groovebox

I played the demo, it almost made me want and go and buy a PS2 just for this game. I was reading an article in EGM, and I guess it didn't do so well over here or in Japan :/

Old Merits
    BG Level

I played the demo and it felt like a ridiculously easy button-masher. The game itself was beautiful and I bet the full version is a great game. Looking at buying Okami, Xenosaga III, and VP 2. Damn and then there is Wii and PS3 coming out. I am going to have no money lol.

I know all critics said this game was like the Second Coming, but controlling a dog is what did not appeal to me. For me to like a game I need to be drawn to the main character. Is it weird controlling a dog Belle? Also, in the last EGM they did that "afterthoughts" thing and interviewed the creater of the game, he was being a douche. But he did say there probably will not be a sequel, if you are curious.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bryant Snow
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Deathwing

This game fucking rocks. The concept of controlling a dog sounds kinda iffy, but once you pick it up, the game is damn good. Definately a keeper

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Is controlling a dog iffy? No. When you get your hands on it, it becomes extremely cool. You use weapons just like a normal hero would, and you also get to choose between different styles of weapons, and throughout the game you can learn new techniques for each one.

I thought playing as a dog god was amazingly fun. You get to run REALLY fast, you can bark at your own leisure, there is a move where you pee (or poop if you have enough money lol) on enemies to get extra valuable items, etc., etc., plus at certain points, seeing her wag her tail, or lie down tired is just downright cute. Plus, once you see her backstory and learn how much of a fucking pimp she was, it makes her seem alot cooler. "Ultimate mother of the gods, Okami Amaterasu"

I haven't read EGM, but I read Game Informer in which it won game of the month, and I believe it won GOM on Gamespot too. It's so good. There is a button mash aspect of it I guess, but I didn't really think so. I used my brush ALOT during fights toward the end in order to gain demon fangs and use the thief skill with Issun. If you just race through the fights and dont try to get the extra stuff then I guess that could get button mashy.

But a controlling a dog being iffy? No. The control is so good that you could play it like she was a person.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

You can poop on people? Sold!

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    Yeah! But you have to buy the skill, and it's extremely expensive for the first play through. 2 million Yen! I stuck to the pee skill for my first playthrough, but if you go through the game twice it's extremely easy to make the 1 mil since they give you 1 mil when you beat the game the first time around.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

solsovly is gonna cream when he sees this topic.

Graphically amazing, doesnt really interest me too much because im kinda saving my "niche" games for Wii, but it doesnt look bad at all :D Very japanesy

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik

Graphically amazing, doesnt really interest me too much because im kinda saving my "niche" games for Wii, but it doesnt look bad at all :D Very japanesy
    Yeah it's all based on Japanese folklore, which is why some people are saying it didn't do well in Japan. Personally I'm fascinated with Japanese folklore, so I thought it was interesting and fun (omg learningisfunlol). But allegedly they don't care about playing games about their culture that they have infused into their brains or something.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Quote Originally Posted by Lbelle
    Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik

Yeah it's all based on Japanese folklore, which is why some people are saying it didn't do well in Japan. Personally I'm fascinated with Japanese folklore, so I thought it was interesting and fun (omg learningisfunlol). But allegedly they don't care about playing games about their culture that they have infused into their brains or something.
    lol I guess it's kinda like how a large majority of us dont wanna learn about our own country, I remember I didnt wanna learn much about how our country was discovered, but more about how peoples cultures are from around the globe, "grass is greener"

With milk. With love
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

Ok, realistically speaking, could the game be defeated within a 24 hour period (start to finish)?

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    lol that made me think of the PSP commercial.
    And yea it got game of the month in EGM too, they also branded it as the second coming. They really want the creator of the game to make a version for the Wii, because like the brush strokes would work well with the Wiimote.
    As far as weapons with the dog, how does that work? Does she stand on her hind legs? Or hold it with her mouth or what?

With milk. With love
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

That and Sakuya's got one fine looking ass. /grin

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Quote Originally Posted by Kimiko
    Ok, realistically speaking, could the game be defeated within a 24 hour period (start to finish)?
    Nope. You could play it straight through, not get any extra items, not do any extra fights, not explore the gorgeous environments, level up your skills, etc., and I think storywise alone you still couldn't do it in one day. It's THAT long. But it's also that good, that you want to do all the extra stuff.

Po -- She has three types of weapons: A shield, a sword, or a whip like thingy (rosary). You can have any combination you want, like sword main shield sub, rosary main sword sub etc., and she has different ways of using each item. With the sword she kind of rears up and rams into the thing, or uses the hilt in her mouth and whacks people, with the rosary I think she puts it in her mouth and whacks people, and the shield she sorta spins her neck and whacks people. She never like "walks and uses the sword with her paws" or something gay like that. She's strictly a wolf, and acts accordingly. Wags her tail when she's happy, whimpers when she's sad etc.

Thanks Belle

game looks hot, but i'm more focused on VP2, I can only import every so often and my import list is pretty much disgaea 2 > valkyrie profile 2 > ff12.

okami is coming out in feb 2007 here, i'll probably get done with those games by that time (if you count doing work inbetween)....good times?

Quote Originally Posted by Lbelle
    And it does not beat Zelda. At all. It is the most beautiful game I've ever played though, hands down. But beat Zelda? Just...no.
    I like Zelda. I love Zelda. Been playing since the first one.

That said, Okami beats Zelda. It makes it look OLD AND BUSTED.

<3 Okami

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast