Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Warlock Talents?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Warlock Talents?

ok,
    so I'm 70 and I raided as 40/0/21 with Ruin for the longest time and now I'm kinda sitting here going WTF. My spell damage really hasn't changed but now I'm doing way less damage.

So any of you guys here have a spec that can really up my DPS back to where it used to be?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

What type of gear do you have? Are you hit capped? How much crit and spell damage do you have? What types of bosses are you fighting? What pet do you use? Armory Link? Etc. Etc.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Deep affliction should be highest dps for any gear level right now. I'm not sure if 2/3 eradication and 3/3 death's embrace are better than ISB thou, because both ISB and death's embrace are bugged... so either 56/0/5 or 51/0/10. The only problem is shadow's embrace is also bugged; only one warlock can have the debuff up, and it only works for that one warlock. So at tier 6+ gear levels, it might be better to have just one warlock stay affliction, with the others being fire destro, but the difference even than between fire destro and affliction missing SE is marginal. At lower gear levels you should be affliction regardless, unless your group is running into problems with the debuff cap or something.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...Elune&n=garuda

I'm hit capped and using 3/3 FSW and 2/2 Spell Strike. I've been using Imp Phased shifted. I'm no where close to T6 I've never even been past gruul's / mags except one time inside of Hyja which was a disaster. I am hit capped but it just seemed before the patch, I was doing a shit ton more damage than I am now. I haven't seen a shadow bolt go over 4K since the patch, and that was a quite common thing before hand. I'm at 1141 Spell Power before any buffs but I do realize my crit is probably pretty low and I shouldn't go destro. I've never done it before one reason because I like dark pact and instant Howl. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong it's like my DPS went down the crapper.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Saphirea View Post
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...Elune&n=garuda

I'm hit capped and using 3/3 FSW and 2/2 Spell Strike. I've been using Imp Phased shifted. I'm no where close to T6 I've never even been past gruul's / mags except one time inside of Hyja which was a disaster. I am hit capped but it just seemed before the patch, I was doing a shit ton more damage than I am now. I haven't seen a shadow bolt go over 4K since the patch, and that was a quite common thing before hand. I'm at 1141 Spell Power before any buffs but I do realize my crit is probably pretty low and I shouldn't go destro. I've never done it before one reason because I like dark pact and instant Howl. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong it's like my DPS went down the crapper.
    With that gear you shouldn't have been 40/0/21 pre patch, you should have been 41/0/20 or something like that. And post patch, you definitely don't want to be 44/0/17, in fact no one should be using 44/0/17, that's a damn retarded spec. And with 44 points in affliction how did you not manage to pick up UA? Geez.

Use this: http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warl...00000000000000

Or this: http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?warl...00000000000000

Assuming you're not too retarded to keep your dots (including immolate) and haunt up, either of those specs should give you much higher dps than you had pre-patch. And you can use attacking imp (or felhunter if you need spell lock or devour magic) in most boss fights now. It's an additional 150+ dps.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Quote Originally Posted by fantasticdan View Post
    With that gear you shouldn't have been 40/0/21 pre patch, you should have been 41/0/20 or something like that. And post patch, you definitely don't want to be 44/0/17, in fact no one should be using 44/0/17, that's a damn retarded spec. And with 44 points in affliction how did you not manage to pick up UA? Geez.
    Harsh, but very true (and I lol'd). Your current spec is completely garbage, and if you want to be a lock that just spams shadowbolts and wants to see big numbers, then affliction is NOT the tree for you. Affliction is more about rotating your dots in order to sustain the damage over time, not just pew pew shadowbolts. With your spec right now you're actually missing several of the most important facets of the affliction tree. Listen to Fantastic Dan on this one, and respec asap. I'm not sure if I really like the specs listed, but only because the affliction tree is so bloated right now.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

yeah well, he's right though. i kinda just threw that together and haven't really had time to play it since I've been so amazed my by pally.

I do need to change a few things but I just can't seem to see where to place talents especially not having grim reach. It just seems that there are too many talents in the affliction tree.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Grim reach is a waste of points in a pve build. There's absolutely no reason you need to stand at 36 yards, and doing so can only make you potentially miss out on aura type buffs and totems.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

never thought of it like that. good point.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

you guys care to look at my pally build and see if I can fix anything there?
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ne&n=Carbuncle

blax n gunz
    BG Level

A little bird told me Afflic Warlocks should stop taking 5/5 in ISB, as it no longer affects the damage of DoT spells.

psst, stop taking 5/5 ISB as a deep Affliction Warlock.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Saphirea View Post
    you guys care to look at my pally build and see if I can fix anything there?
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ne&n=Carbuncle
    Ditch Sheath of Light and take something useful like Pursuit of Justice and Sanctified Retribution. Otherwise it looks okay.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    A little bird told me Afflic Warlocks should stop taking 5/5 in ISB, as it no longer affects the damage of DoT spells.

psst, stop taking 5/5 ISB as a deep Affliction Warlock.
    Psst, a little person called me who has tested says it still does. However, only dots casted WHILE the debuff is up will get the bonus.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Which makes it a crap talent to take over deep Affliction talents like Eradication/Death's Embrace.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Which makes it a crap talent to take over deep Affliction talents like Eradication/Death's Embrace.
    They're all crap talents lol. Death's embrace works the same way, you have to recast everything when the mob is below 35% or it won't do anything. Haste doesn't do much for affliction, and due to the internal cooldown on eradication, points spent in it beyond the first don't do nearly as much. The difference between 3/3 DE, 3/3 eradication, and 1/3 eradication, 5/5 ISB is incredibly marginal.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

I guess it depends on how much time a mob spends below 35% health versus how much +crit% you need to not force excessive doublecasts of all your DoTs and blow more GCDs on Life Taps down the road as the mob's health drops. Instinct tells me though that DE will pull ahead of ISB. No way to test that without an 80 lock in Naxx and a PTR combat log compatible version of WWS I guess.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

I guess it depends on how much time a mob spends below 35% health versus how much +crit% you need to not force excessive doublecasts of all your DoTs and blow more GCDs on Life Taps down the road as the mob's health drops. Instinct tells me though that DE will pull ahead of ISB. No way to test that without an 80 lock in Naxx and a PTR combat log compatible version of WWS I guess.
    You don't need to double-cast your DoTs to get the benefit out of ISB. Just by shadow bolting once or twice per haunt cycle, your DoTs will occasionally benefit, and that's good enough to put it on par with DE. Personally I'm specced into 3/3 DE instead of ISB, but I don't really feel it's any better. Mana is a complete non-issue right now, with a ret pally in the raid, I lifetap/darkpact once or twice, if at all on most fights.

Banned.

BG Level

s

Wow I hate you, I thought this was a super quick discussion that I somehow missed in the past 13 minutes when I wasn't looking at forums

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Same here since I was thinking of starting a lock soon damn necros !

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast