+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Build me a computer     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Build me a computer

I figured a few of the members on this site might know a thing or two about computers, and I really don't. Basically, I'm going away to college in a few months and have been working for awhile to get a computer. I'm looking at a custom built desktop, and my budget is around $1600, with a little leeway. I have a preference for ATI video cards and AMD processors (just what I've had in the past), but if you can convince me otherwise I'm good with anything.

I've ordered parts from http://www.newegg.com in the past.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Nvidia > ATI

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

1600$ on a PC seem a lot. Personally, I would get something around 1200$, and ugrade your video card and ram in 1-2 year. Difference in performance between 1200$ and 1600$ is usually minimal for the cost.

Yeah I didn't mention that that includes monitor, too. All of the software I have... taken care of.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Iku
    Nvidia > ATI
    Agreed 100%! 8)

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Aurin
    Quote Originally Posted by Iku
    Nvidia > ATI
    Agreed 100%! 8)
    Meh. Doesn't matter. I've had an ATI card for 3 years now and never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Okan
    Meh. Doesn't matter. I've had an ATI card for 3 years now and never had a problem.
    I've had Nvidia and ATI and I would buy from whoever has the best card (cheapest + powerful).

Hold out until the summer/fall. Intel's new Core 2 Dou line will be released then. Prelim tests show that they're faster than AMD's fastest chip. But if you really want AMD, you should wait until then and see what happens w/ the prices. Maybe AMD will make a move.
    Right now, I think nVidia's latest card is slightly better than ATi's latest. You won't notice a difference really.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by vudoodoodoo
    Hold out until the summer/fall. Intel's new Core 2 Dou line will be released then. Prelim tests show that they're faster than AMD's fastest chip. But if you really want AMD, you should wait until then and see what happens w/ the prices. Maybe AMD will make a move.
    Right now, I think nVidia's latest card is slightly better than ATi's latest. You won't notice a difference really.
    I spit on anyone who gets a intel chip

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Aurin
    I spit on anyone who gets a intel chip
    Because there's absolutely no reason to buy a chip that performs better across the board, rather than the one that performs better on synthetic benchmarks aimed only at gaming.

It'd be nice to get a CPU that doesn't have such a massive heat sink that requires me mounting it to the case itself... I've heard of people having to do that.

Mounting a heatsink to the...case..? What?
    Anyways, CPUs are getting faster and faster, thus hotter and hotter. So... they're gonna require big heatsinks. I heard that the heatsinks that come w/ the AMD X2's are actually pretty good. You can probably run the fan on low speed for silence. Some people actually use that heatsink and overclock w/o heat issues.
    Intel's stock heatsink looks pretty bleh though. I'd get a nice copper one and use a low speed fan for silence.
    But ya, there are some aftermarket heatsinks that a fucking huge. They're rediculous. Check out this bad boy. LOL
    http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/5687/full6qx.jpg

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Gafgarionn
    It'd be nice to get a CPU that doesn't have such a massive heat sink that requires me mounting it to the case itself... I've heard of people having to do that.
    They don't actually mount a heat sink to the case, they mount a duct that diercts the air to the CPU fan from outside the case, which keeps it even cooler. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

LMAO! I put a fan on the CPU in my dad's PC that he used mainly for graphic design that looked like a jet engine. I'll see if I can find a pic of it.