Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sulfurous Breath     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Sulfurous Breath

Quick question, i've noticed a large range of damage in this TP move that Cerberus has...sometimes it'll take off 2 shadows, sometimes 3, and just a little while ago the thing blasted me for 767 damage with 2 shadows on. I've always assumed it was 3 hits with pretty low accuracy (Flash overrides it sometimes), i rarely see 600-700 breaths, sometimes a little over 850. Does anybody know how many hits this attack is? or does it just do full damage if you dont have 3 shadows on?

TSwiftie
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

It's a physical attack in nature. I've been interrupted while casting when I got hit with this a few times. The shadows it takes is based on ninjutsu skill/randomness (Like Whirl of Rage) and doesn't have a set standard. Maybe someone can verify, but I'm pretti sure on the way damage works... First it calculates how many shadows it will remove. If you have less than required numbers of shadows to blink the move, it will strip remaining shadows and full damage. I've taken some breaths with no blinks, and it doesn't seem to deivate too much from when I had 1 or 2 remaining. I don't know why you'd be taking 700 though... The only time I ever take that much is when I tank on DRK.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirschy
    It's a physical attack in nature. I've been interrupted while casting when I got hit with this a few times. The shadows it takes is based on ninjutsu skill/randomness (Like Whirl of Rage) and doesn't have a set standard. Maybe someone can verify, but I'm pretti sure on the way damage works... First it calculates how many shadows it will remove. If you have less than required numbers of shadows to blink the move, it will strip remaining shadows and full damage. I've taken some breaths with no blinks, and it doesn't seem to deivate too much from when I had 1 or 2 remaining. I don't know why you'd be taking 700 though... The only time I ever take that much is when I tank on DRK.
    lol

first off "ouch"

second, why are you tanking on Drk?

only acceptable answer is you had hate after using souleater + kraken, lol so its a rhetorical question!

Blackice

A DRK/NIN has access to the same amount of +haste gear as PLD (homam), and has many more hate tool spells in their repertoire, not to mention doing Kraken/SE every 5 mins for more hate +dmg. I don't see a reason why a DRK couldn't tank Cerb quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackice
    A DRK/NIN has access to the same amount of +haste gear as PLD (homam), and has many more hate tool spells in their repertoire, not to mention doing Kraken/SE every 5 mins for more hate +dmg. I don't see a reason why a DRK couldn't tank Cerb quite easily.
    hmm, possibly....

I guess one could if need be, but would they be preferred over a PLD? lol

cure4 flash sentinel and able to take a hit...

souleater last resort stun and not able to take a hit...lol

You say many more hate tool spells as DRK, which ones specifically?

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

bind, sleep, absorb spells?

TSwiftie
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

DRK/NIN works fine as a tank. The only reason I mentioned it, is that taking 700+ damage from breath seems like a lot. My DRK with virtualli no defensive gear shouldn't be taking the same damage as a PLD or NIN(Which are the jobs listed by the OP.)

EDIT:
    I wouldn't call a DRK tank preferable over a PLD tank... But when youre able to output a lot of damage, you don't always have a choice. With a good setup, you'll be able to blink off 90% of anything that has Slow/Elegy on it. That being said, like Blackice pointed out... we have Last Resort, Weapon Bash, Souleater, along with spells like Stun, Bind, Sleep, Sleep II, and Absorbs. DRK/NIN can be played like a nin/drk with a respectable damage output. It's not very hard to secure hate as a DRK and hold it.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I listed 767 as a "rarity" to me, i tank it on PLD/NIN and most of the time it just eats up my shadows but if it gets through it only does around 300-500 damage. I am not entirely sure on the damage range of this, i havent experienced a 700+ for a long time, way back when i tanked it on PLD/WAR i could see a large range of damage from it and on one occasion i remember it hitting for around 850.

My guess is that it's a 3 hit breath that gets nullified if you have 3 shadows on (sometimes it only takes 2, maybe 1 but i've never experienced that), but if you have less than 3 shadows there's a possibility that the full 3 hits will go right through shadows and maybe critical hit you. He has 3 heads, and his critical floor can hit about 550 if you get unlucky. So maybe 3 hits, chance of critical on each, absorbed by 3 or possibly less shadows if 1-2 hits doesnt connect?

idk im tired, but he does have 3 heads

Quote Originally Posted by Kirschy
    DRK/NIN works fine as a tank. The only reason I mentioned it, is that taking 700+ damage from breath seems like a lot. My DRK with virtualli no defensive gear shouldn't be taking the same damage as a PLD or NIN(Which are the jobs listed by the OP.)

EDIT:
    I wouldn't call a DRK tank preferable over a PLD tank... But when youre able to output a lot of damage, you don't always have a choice. With a good setup, you'll be able to blink off 90% of anything that has Slow/Elegy on it. That being said, like Blackice pointed out... we have Last Resort, Weapon Bash, Souleater, along with spells like Stun, Bind, Sleep, Sleep II, and Absorbs. DRK/NIN can be played like a nin/drk with a respectable damage output. It's not very hard to secure hate as a DRK and hold it.
    Yar words of death!

Scythe wielding quasi-tanking Drk cannot survive in Vanadiel!

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If DRK/NIN can tank, then that implies that any old job that can hold hate, sub NIN, and has access to haste gear can tank. lol

Blackice

Why hello there BRD/NIN, RDM/NIN tanks nice to meet you.

¯\(°_o)/¯
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    If DRK/NIN can tank, then that implies that any old job that can hold hate, sub NIN, and has access to haste gear can tank. lol
    Important Discovery Card Here.