+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Union strike question     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Union strike question

Mom's employer has a 50/50 split between Union and Non-Union employees. 1199SEIU union for healthcare workers in NY.

Apparently the union is going on strike and the Hospital has told the non-union employees they are going to be forced to cover all of the work the union workers are not going to be around for.

Not sure if that's legal at all, going to reach out to the Union to just ask and at least drop them a tip if they don't know that's going to be going on but anyone else been in this situation before?

She is scared they'll just fire her if she doesn't help out in nursing duties (She has a nursing license) as well as doing random bullshit in the kitchen or what not and working extra hours.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Drai Draken
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

the only thing I can suggest is your mom has a talk with an employment lawyer since it probably depends on how her contract is worded, part of me feels it's a tactic from the hospital to make the non union workers try to pressure the union workers into ending the strike early like "Your strike is causing us to suffer! end it now!", and depending on the upper management I have no trouble believing they would fire people for non-compliance as a means to increase the divide between union and non union, it's short sighted and stupid but not everyone in upper management understands that.

Yeah, I mean sadly she doesn't have any $$ to retain a lawyer but I think a free consultation would at least let her know where she stands, though she doesn't know where the paperwork is for when she was hired and what's written into the employment contract.

I'm almost as bad as Mazmaz
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

All of these questions are going to depend on your specific states labour laws, but more often than not yes it's legal for non-union workers to do the duties of a unionized employee during a strike, assuming their deemed qualified. But it can also be a dangerous gambit for the employer because it can sway the non-union employees to either join the union, or form their own, if they feel they're being mistreated doing said duties.

If your mom is a non-union employee, she's going to be pressured by both sides of this thing. Tell her to keep her head down as much as humanly possible.

It's NY, but upstate NY where cows outnumber people. Yeah I've talked to her about union stuff before but there's not enough people who want it with her staff, rural NY = very red and "omg unions are evil!"

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Let her work the extra shifts if she can't be bothered to strike with the union that is negotiating better conditions that she benefits from the union is literally right there for her

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Salodin View Post
    the union that is negotiating better conditions that she benefits from
    that isn't necessarily true at all. it's highly unlikely that if a wage increase were negotiated that it would affect her at all, ever

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Drai Draken
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Let her work the extra shifts if she can't be bothered to strike with the union that is negotiating better conditions that she benefits from the union is literally right there for her

unfortunately, not every union has every individuals interests equally represented, as a personal example, I've been a plumber for 17 years at this point, our local pipe trades unions, yes plural since they all do this, which plumbers fall under do NOT treat plumbers nearly as well as they treat Pipefitters or Welders. A good example of this is that recently Journeyman Pipefitters and Welders got wage increases to $65 and $60 an hour respectively, the Plumbers have been stuck at $45 an hour for the last 8 years, due to this many of the union plumbers are leaving to find non union work since they're being treated unfairly.

Which brings us to the biggest problem they JUST now realized they're facing, the Union Plumbers are required to go to the Union operated trade school as part of their membership, the problem with this is that this specific trade school doesn't teach them how to be proper Plumbers, they get taught how to be less skilled Pipefitters, hence they lower wages, so many of these Plumbers are trying to get work as non union new constructions, service, commercial etc, and they're finding out the hard way they don't know even how to do basic first year plumber shit.

My brothers company has had to fire multiple union plumbers who claimed to be 3rd or 4th year plumbers because they didn't know how to do something as basic as install an island vent on a kitchen island sink, heck they don't even know what a wet vent is or the minimum pipe size for it, which is again first year shit, but they never needed to know in the union since the unions are focused on industrial/oilfield work.

So all in all the point is that Meresgi's mom may not be part of the union if they don't represent her specific job well enough.

Caesar Salad
    BG Level

Interesting from both of y'all. I wonder if the nurses have separate unions then

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    Blog Entries

Can she just join the union?

BG Level

It could depend if she's full-time or part-time, or her qualifications as well. Sometimes there's a minimum threshold for schooling, internship, or experience to get into a union.

That's kinda how it sounds considering she has a nursing license but those duties aren't in her job description. Probably an orderly or something

Nurses + kitchen staff and others are part of this union. Her position and her coworkers were never offered ability to join union and can't join this union, they would actually have to form their own union apparently so it's not a question of benefiting from it at all. She would join them if she could.

Can she just join the union?
    Nope, from my understanding the hospital clerical staff are not part of the union in any way and would have to organize themselves. It doesn't sound like the union reps have gone around to recruit them either in any way that she has heard of, nor has she been approached about joining.

That's kinda how it sounds considering she has a nursing license but those duties aren't in her job description. Probably an orderly or something
    She put the license on hold, so not paying dues towards it but from how she explained it, it's still technically valid and would need to be reactivated or something. Right now she does transcription and clerical work

BG Level

It's interesting that this union has gone out of their way to not include this group into their own, or as a sub-section of some kind... bitches love union dues.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
  • Insert NSFW Tag
  • Insert Spoiler Tag