Thread: Taru dats     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Taru dats

Are there any decent Taru dat swaps to be found on the web? The only ones I have in a giant folder are either designed for females (because some bright spark decided to have both male and female share the model), angsty goth recoloured garments that look crap or just outright shit with seemingly no effort put in. I understand the majority of people are going to focus on Mithra dat swaps but there has to be some good ones for Tarus out there.

That = good. It's a reworking of a decent armour and is something to freshen up the game. Yes, I know it's what Esha'ntarl wears but at least someone has put the effort in to convert it to mithra. Where's the Taru version?? Stuff like this, reworked Haubergeons etc would be ideal if anyone has any, just tired of the same crap after three years.

THIS IS NOT LIVEJOURNAL DOT COM
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Detheroc

If I had the knowlege and the means to import the files into Photoshop I would definitely like to work on it.

I've been meaning to re-work a lot of files but just haven't gotten the motivation to do so. :þ But I'd definitely like to try. Just gotta figure out how.

shoot me a PM. goin to sleep now, but i've got some i think, will have to double check.

EDIT: I have about 50 or so, but sadly, most of them are really poorly done. Best i can think of, is the tenzen gear that I have for taru

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

I made a tatami shield swap for all races a while back, here's the taru

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/5...mifoamy4ed.jpg

Not that good, but does the job (zoom in on the texture and you'll notice it's not detailed at all, I dont know how the hell they get it so good, /shrug)

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~wafiks/ ... ieldV2.zip

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

No one bothers detailing taru dat swaps because you cant see a damn thing.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Seriously, someone needs to teach me how to create custom .dat files. I promise that I will not make anything too disturbing.

(I cannot possibly keep the above promise.)

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    Seriously, someone needs to teach me how to create custom .dat files. I promise that I will not make anything too disturbing.

(I cannot possibly keep the above promise.)
    I predict an Osode that says Brokeback Galka.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1.../realosode.jpg

just woke up, and managed to make the Osode Pixchletlepatl made for taru (pic above, just a recolor using skin from Kirin)

looking for this kind of stuff? I think i can convert a lot of the elvaan retextures made onto taru.

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Well Sept you happen to be in luck. I just happen to have some images from a tutorial I did for someone else still on my photobucket and I am sufficiently bored enough to write it all again.

What you need: Rapid shared because I don't have anything else.

Graphics Convertor 3: http://rapidshare.de/files/15742935/gc3.exe.html

Changetex: http://rapidshare.de/files/15742891/ChangeTex.exe.html

Photoshop or some other image editing tool that can save 24-bit bitmaps. I don't reccomend Paint.

STEP 1: Select dats.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...odelviewer.jpg

Obviously you need to know where your dats are. Go into your model viewer and select Show DAT Number. Restart your model viewer, and now you will see spiffy numbers next to the dats in the selector menus. The format is 1-32-123 or whatever. 1 means the folder ROM, 32 is the folder number, and 123 is the dat number. Armed with that information we move to step 2...

STEP 2: ChangeTex

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../changetex.jpg

1. Open an Explorer window and browse to the folder and find the dat you wish to change. I suggest making a copy of the dat and editing that rather than editing the original directly, for backup purposes.

2. Drag and drop the dat you wish to edit into the Path area of Changetex.

3. Alternately you can browse to the dat by using the ... button, but using explorer is more organized.

4. Once you have your dat selected, press the DDS button. This will prompt you to save a DDS file. I suggest making a folder specifically for storing .dds files that you make, organized in folders by the name of the armor you are editing.

STEP 3: GraphicsConvertor3

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...torial/gc3.jpg

1. Use File->Open to select the .dds file you made.

2. Press this button (BM) and go to File->Save. You are now saving a .bmp file.

STEP 4: Photoshop

Open the .bmp file in photoshop and edit to your heart's content. It takes a bit of a trained eye to see exactly where your changes will appear on the model itself, so you'll have to experiment until you can see it without really thinking. Just remember that FFXI does not operate on full models, you may notice that the texture in the picture above is cut in half. Any change you make will be reflected on both sides of the model.

STEP 5: GC3 again

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...l/gc3part2.jpg

Once you've edited your texture, bring the edited .bmp file into gc3. (If you overwrote the original bmp make sure you close whatever you had open in gc3 and re-open it to make sure the changes come through) Open the Format menu, mouse over S3TC Format, choose DTX3 (4-bit alpha non-premult). Go to File -> Save, you are now saving an edited .dds file. You probably want to give this a different name from your original .dds for backup purposes.

STEP 6: ChangeTex

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...changetex2.jpg

Going back to changetex, click the other button on the bottom. It will prompt you to choose a .dds file, choose your edited file. It will come back with a confirmation. Now return to the model viewer, select a different piece of equipment and then go back to the one you changed, it will now be different, horray.

Step 7: Transparency

This is a bit more tricky. After step 3 and before step 4, choose File -> Save as Alpha Channel... in GC3. This will prompt you to save another bitmap. When you open this bitmap it will be solid white. Any Black markings you put on this white file will show up as transparent when you save back later. You might notice that this file is exactly the same dimensions as your texture-- this is because it is directly relational to the texture. If you create a black block over the space that the flaps of the Togi in the above example would be, you will make them transparent (for some reason beyond me this sometimes does not work and the game renders whatever you try to cover up anyway). Once you have made appropriate black marks and you are on step 5, take an extra step and choose File->Open as Alpha Channel... after you have opened your edited .dds. You will notice the black areas disappear. Continue as normal, and once you are done, poof, the areas are gone.

Note that just making random black spots won't show the skin beneath as that doesn't exist in the model, only special user-made models have skin beneath.

The other two options are Meteaseq and VRS, but I don't have anything approaching the energy to write guides to that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirronimus
    link to the .dat please
    That is sexy as hell

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I'm not the author, I'll have to ask Pix (author) if he can host it.

back on topic..

eh? wasn't easy, a normal haub wasn't setup nearly the same as the one Esha'ntarl wears, so the back isnt the same, didnt line up exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice
    Quote Originally Posted by Hirronimus
    pic
    link to the .dat please
    That is sexy as hell

Elvaan Male Osode DL - Here

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Wow Alim, that Taru version of Esha'ntarl's Byrnie is awesome, think you could upload it? That's exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.

sure, give me a min. in middle of a mnk pt lol

i usually test it w/ race changer and etc to see how it looks in game, but didnt have the time.

tell me if there is any problems and such.

Taru Haubergeon Remake - Here

enjoy

Packin more heat than spicy
    8=====>

BG Level