+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ARK: Survival Evolved (PC, PS4, XB1)

Why isn't there a thread on this yet?

As a man or woman stranded naked, freezing and starving on the shores of a mysterious island called ARK, you must hunt, harvest resources, craft items, grow crops, research technologies, and build shelters to withstand the elements. Use your cunning and resources to kill or tame the leviathan dinosaurs and other primeval creatures roaming the land, and team up with or prey on hundreds of other players to survive, dominate... and escape!
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/346110/
    http://www.playark.com/
    http://steamed.kotaku.com/steam-fina...ame-1709351964
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1057629
    http://wccftech.com/ark-survival-evo...dinosaur-game/

tl;dr Dinos with guns. Why haven't you bought this yet? Early access is out on steam.

The game is set to be released in 2016 on PC, PS4, and Xbox one.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

I haven't bought it yet because it looks horrendously bad. Even for an alpha.

RNGesus
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

It looked neat but I try to stay away from Early Access games..

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    DO YOU NOT FEEL THE NEED TO CHOP WOOD OR MINE ROCKS WITH YOUR FISTS? DO YOU NOT ENJOY TAKING A SHIT ON COMMAND? ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?

Jim Sterling & Cr1tkal both have great videos on this game, btw.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I never shit on command, I always just shit my pants randomly as I'm walking. I try to stay near the beach so I can take a dip in the ocean and wash my ass when my anus leaks.

I guess all those berries I've been eating caught up with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    Quite honestly the game has improved leaps and bounds since then. The devs work really hard and listen to the community. Personally I'm having a blast even for an alpha game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrath View Post
    It looked neat but I try to stay away from Early Access games..
    I have the same feelings as you about early access games. ARK seemed polished enough (even for an alpha) to pick up and try. Even more so with steam refunds now. I honestly don't regret my purchase.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

ARK Devs pay $100 to a user who found an Exploit before they did
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110...1545181831108/

It appears that this is an ongoing campaign that they'll pay people who find more of these.

Quote Originally Posted by 6souls View Post
    ARK Devs pay $100 to a user who found an Exploit before they did
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110...1545181831108/

It appears that this is an ongoing campaign that they'll pay people who find more of these.
    The bounty was changed to $200 awhile ago.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110...0046867909905/

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Gonna bite the bullet, got some already playing on official 433.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Im pretty happy with the game. I have to run on medium to get a stable frame rate, but its not very well optimized yet.

There is a ton of stuff to do in game and if you can get over having to collect and grind materials the building system is great. The game really rewards group play. I went afk in my group hut last night and i had gone from level 10 to level 12. You get shared xp bonus for being near your tribe and doing stuff, basically everything. So if youve got 4 people doing stuff around you you got 4 people giving you bonus xp

Solo is not impossible, but you will likely get discouraged started out because your house will get broken into, youll get killed, and everything useful will be stolen. Even as a group of 4 to 6 we still have not been able to make a structure that withstood the night. But we just keep.patching the old one with stronger materiald and replacing our weak points as we can. Peolle are rarely interested in deatroying your whol structure, they just want your shit.

If anyone is looking to combine forces, or even solo guys lookin for anplace to try the game out, pm me and ill send you server and voice info tonight when I get home.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Deejay Zombie
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

so i was a little down on this game playing on official servers, your base will get raided basically anytime you log off. and it will take you hours to collect materials to patch it.

the best way we've found to combat that is to move your valuables to a 1x1 stone cell that looks like a prison with no doors, make a couple chests in there and log off with your most valuable stuff. another way to prevent material loss is to just craft all your materials into walls/doors whatever, and then put them up before you log off. Just leave your base with as little as possible to take.

we also moved to an unofficial server, with 10x xp, 10x tame, 10x gather. it sounds op but its a pvp centric server, you level up quickly and you're able to build giant bases. You will still get raided every night but now it will take 30 mins to patch your base instead of 3-4 hours(could be longer depending on size). And it doesn't hurt that much losing stuff because its that much easier to get. The game is great fun but the official servers are a little grindy for my limited playtime. So i like that this server minimizes the grindiest parts of the game, and then in addition has crazy events like tamed dilo/dodo fights for prizes.. and a pvp arena. the admins built a giant arena for pvp and a bunch of small stone structures around it, looks like a little village.. every group on the server gets to claim one and change the flags to their colors. when more people move in its gonna look awesome.

we actually are the only group that got to build their own cause we were there when they were setting up, so ours is made of metal, twice as high, and the structure is painted in addition to the flags. i'll have to take a picture of it when im there next.

we are definitely looking for more players though, we have a couple people that just dont play because of how grindy the other server was, really its just me a friend building and maintaining to 2 giant bases. One as a main base and the other as a farming base on a river.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I bought this game drunk yesterday. 3 hours of play later, it has all been worth it

Special at 11:30 or w/e

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kalmado Espiritu
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    Blog Entries

Is this still poop simulator?

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

ARK: Survival of the Fittest - eSport Multiplayer Mode
    Studio Wildcard, the dev team that created the smash hit ARK: Survival Evolved (PC, Xbox One, PS4), is taking dinosaur survival mayhem into the new era of eSports. Available now on Steam Early Access and in-development for consoles, ARK: Survival of the Fittest is a free, standalone, multiplayer online survival arena (M.O.S.A.) game that pits as many as 72 combatants against one another in spontaneous Hunger Games-style competitions within a closed battlefield.

“Following the success of the tournaments we hosted last fall, we saw valuable community feedback about other competitive features they wanted to see implemented,” said Jesse Rapczak, co-founder, co-creative director, Studio Wildcard. “Now with shorter matches, four new game modes, rapid dino taming and more, we felt it was time to let people come in to test it for themselves. Not only can you play for free, but we’re offering cash prizes for the top players in each Survivor League, so ARK survivors can potentially start playing their favorite game professionally!”

Built for the burgeoning wild west of eSports competition, ARK: SotF challenges gamers to fight each other and the Jurassic environment that players loved in ARK: Survival Evolved. However, rather than a huge open world to survive in, this newly refactored game is an epic dinosaur survival arena with a continually shrinking “ring of death.” In the end, survivors are eventually pushed into an epic final showdown where only one “Tribe” will make it out alive.

Survivors can form one- to six-person Tribes with the options to choose Unofficial and Official (Ranked) servers, and a variety of game-lengths and sizes in which to play. Players will start in the base forest environment introduced in the original ARK: Survival Evolved, with new environments and creatures introduced regularly as the game evolves. Dedicated eSport ranking, matchmaking, reward, and tournament features make ARK: SotF readily accessible to all players.

As part of the ongoing Survival of the Fittest eSport competitive initiative, each month the Top-10 Ranked players in each game mode’s "Survivor League" will be awarded cash prize winnings corresponding to their Ranked placement. The ongoing Rankings for these elite titles will be visible in real-time on SurviveTheArk.com at launch.

Balanced for intense competition, Survival of the Fittest contestants begin in a neutral staging area where they can communicate pre-game, strategize, or talk trash. After a count-down, they dramatically descend from the sky onto the ARK in a circular formation via beams of light. There is a cache of valuable items in the center – do survivors dash for the goods and fight it out, do they run into the forest and hide, search for dinosaurs to rapidly build their army, or do they freeze up from the sheer terror of death? The continually shrinking arena boundaries force contestants ever closer together over time. The hunt is on!
    https://survivetheark.com/
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/346110

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

A high paying contributor to the original fundraising campaign of ARK ($3000+) voicing his concerns about the new paid-for DLC.

Developer response to said high paying contributor.

Worth noting a few things here, outside of the obvious, for those who don't know anything about ARK:

-The first DLC was The Center map. It was a fan-made mod that was put into the game as "official DLC" for winning a contest. Wildcard did not create the map, that was all due to hundreds of hours of modeling and creativity of the mod maker, all they did was adjust some things such as dino spawn parameters and level scaling and put it up on Steam as a DLC. The map is quite buggy and performs very poorly in this official DLC version, most of which being introduced via Wildcard's tampering.

-The second DLC was Primitive+ survival total game conversion. It essentially locks your game to the primitive technology level, adds a few new items, and is a gigantic buggy mess. This was also a fan made mod that was turned into an "official DLC". Once again, Wildcard had no hand in the primary legwork of making this.

-The third DLC, Scorched Earth, is a Wildcard creation. It introduces a multitude of new dinos, items, environments, weathers, and gameplay systems that are not present in the base game (The Island or The Center maps). The things from Scorched Earth can, however, be transferred over to the other two maps to "show them off and make people who don't have the DLC jealous", according to the devs:

(Posted on the Steam page for the DLC, http://store.steampowered.com/app/512540/):

TRAVEL BETWEEN ARKS
    Survivors can take their character, favorite creatures and items between the Island and the new Desert ARKs, making their Island-dwelling friends jealous with all of the amazing new items, structures, creatures and secrets they find in the Desert.
    They went as far as to say on their reveal stream, where dev team members were playing the DLC, that "you will never get the experience that we're getting right now unless you buy it" as well as several "why haven't you bought it yet", "go and buy it now", etc. every 2-3 minutes. This raises several concerns with existing backers, funders, and fans of the game as Scorched Earth holds far higher quality assets, both artistic and gameplay, than the base game that they had originally paid for and funded.

For a Developer to go out of their way to shit on valid criticisms by a concerned high-value backer of their project (and not just one, but many) is ludicrous to me. It's an unprecedented move, this is still an alpha-stage (despite what the Dev says there) early access game that just released a $20 DLC before finishing the game by polishing it up, optimizing it, and shipping it out as a feature complete game.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/16/114...itz-noncompete

Looks like they're recouping funds after having to pay out 40 million because the top developer was under an agreement to not work on video games after leaving his last position. His wife happens to be to co-owner of Wildcard.

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Coming to PS4 on December 6th - $54.99 & Includes Scorched Earth DLC
    http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/11/...usive-content/

BG Content
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Six Souls
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Malorne
    Blog Entries

Impossiblu
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Prothescar Centursa
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Using PC trailers to sell the PS4 game. Nice. Some of the things in there you can't even do anymore (or could never do), like placing turrets on platform saddles or building an extendible bridge between treehouses.

RNGesus

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lenette Valkyr
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

That trailer looks way beyond and better than the game I played a few months back.

Is this worth trying to get back into?