Thread: Network Problem     submit to reddit submit to twitter

ulation. AKA: The Pickle!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Network Problem

I recently wired a building with CAT5 for their network. The building has a total of six computers. I need every computer to be able to share files with one another. They have comcast for the internet, a 16 port hub. and a wireless router. The modem has one cat5 cable going into the 16 port hub (making it hot). Four of the computer are connected through wire to the 16 port hub and they are all networked.

One room with a computer in it has a wall jack I ran. That jack is connected to the 16 port hub. But I have the jack plugged into a wireless 4 intelinet port router. So the computer in that room is connected (by wire) to the router. The last computer is in a room that has no wall jack so it is connected wirelessly with a USB wireless adapter. It can connect to the internet and can share files with the other computer wired to the router.

The problem is that I need all these computers to be on the same network. The first 4 are on a network from comcast and their IP's are 10.1.10.1 as the default gateway. The other 2 computers are on a network of 192.168.2.1 of the intelinet router. What can I do to make all 6 computers on the same network and able to share files?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

disable the dhcp server on the wireless router, and give it a static address on the normal network (like 10.1.10.5). Basically you want it to just act as a switch, instead of a router. That should let the devices behind it hit your normal dhcp server and all be on the same subnet.

Also, Hi Ejac!! just noticed who this was, heh.

jponry
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Chiyio is correct. They are conflicting because they are receiving two different ranges from two DHCP servers.

I recommend you subnet your network from the router properly so they can all share files properly. Statically configure all 6 of the PCs; change the router's IP to the beginning of your IP range.

Use this:
    http://www.subnet-calculator.com/

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

They are right, you have two routers functioning, and they assign IPs by which is connected to it.

You have two options:

1.) Convert the modem to just be a modem (bridge mode) and let the wireless router act as DHCP (I recommend this).

2.) Convert the router to act as an access point and not a router.

If you give me model numbers of the modem / router, I can tell you how to do either.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

I don't exactly know where I can go to change what needs to be changed. This is the setup screen with all the choices on what to change on the left. After opening each "tab" there are more choices underneath.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...e/Tech/LAN.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mafai View Post
    They are right, you have two routers functioning, and they assign IPs by which is connected to it.

You have two options:

1.) Convert the modem to just be a modem (bridge mode) and let the wireless router act as DHCP (I recommend this).

2.) Convert the router to act as an access point and not a router.

If you give me model numbers of the modem / router, I can tell you how to do either.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Is this PC connected to the hub or the wireless router?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I think I got him all working over a google chat, he should be set.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Zul'jin

Chiyio got me going! What I ended up having to do was pretty simple actually. I hooked the wall jack into one of the routers ports (not WAN). Then changed the IP of the router to 10.1.10.x and disabled the dhcp server. *huggles chiblast*